Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Riding 2 up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Riding 2 up

She doesn't mount until I give her the head nod for OK. She doesn't dismount until I do the same. In turns she puts her chest against my back so we lean as one.

Yes, even the smallest passenger adds weight, and increases stopping distance, so take that into account.
    Fish
    Experience: That most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Dondada469 View Post
      ...but the passenger is suppose to lean with you.
      That list was kinda an attempt at some humor. But, remember sport bike riders lean out from the center line into the turn. What he is saying is equivalent to telling a cruiser passenger to stay planted to the backrest instead of moving around.
      '18 Road Glide Special, '18 Moto Guzzi V7III Carbon, '75 KT250 Trials.

Comment

We rode a couple of times this weekend. She loves it!
        Thanks for the tips guys.

...hopefully I won't be buying her a new bike for herself any time soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Dondada469 View Post
          ...but the passenger is suppose to lean with you.
          Not always. I actually prefer the passenger to sit still and even with the backrest. It's more predictable, especially with an inexperienced pillion. If they don't know how, they may not be consistent, then you're adjusting during the turn.
          James "Bierkan" Vierkant 1-0-454A-1500D
          08 1600-D8FA Ocean Blue & Neutron Silver Nomad, aka "Perry"
          96D1/G1A/J1/A?/E2/E6/?/L2/G2/P1/FLT/FXD Vulcan Wide-Track Super-Sport Classic, aka "Ghost" (gone)
          72CB750K2 Honda SOHC CB750 Chobber "Imp"
          07 AN650A Naked Burgman "Burgie Project"

Comment

Originally posted by Bierkan View Post
            Not always. I actually prefer the passenger to sit still and even with the backrest. It's more predictable, especially with an inexperienced pillion. If they don't know how, they may not be consistent, then you're adjusting during the turn.
            Yep. If you have a backrest the passenger becomes part of the bike and you barely notice they are there. If they lean with you the bike will turn in quicker and you will have to pull back on the countersteer to compensate.

Of course this is pretty much a moot point with most cruiser riders because most I have witnessed stay in line with the bike and don't lean their bodies into the corners like sport bike riders do.

Here is a link to cornering that I posted a while ago.
            http://www.vulcanriders.us/forum/showthread.php?t=8454
            '18 Road Glide Special, '18 Moto Guzzi V7III Carbon, '75 KT250 Trials.

Comment

My wife has never rode so we set on the bike in the garage and I coach her about staying with me. Also just set back on the trunk while I lean....She thought I was nuts at first but I told her I wanted her to enjoy the ride....practice practice practice and yes keep her chest against my back.
              You only live once, so live life like a kid always
              www.facebook.com/groups/missouribootheelvra/
              https://www.facebook.com/tom.taylor....ref=ts&fref=ts
              http://missouribootheel1-58.weebly.com

Comment

I love it when my wife rides with me. We are getting pretty good at it now. The only thing I ad is she get's on only when I have the bike "ready". My feet are firmly planted on the ground and I am standing up straddling the bike while she get's on and off. I always point the bike in the direction we are going before she get's on. Also, safety gear, she has her boots, helmet, armor jacket, sunglasses, clear glasses, etc. the 900 LT Classic handles us with no problem and the backrest gives her support. The only thing I had to ask her was not to try to twist me when I am making a turn. Enjoy!
                Last edited by Big D; 03-20-2013, 05:56 PM.
                Non Chapter Member

Comment

all very good words of knowledge! I will have my girlfriend read this thread, as she has been a passanger for a couple of years now. she just took the training class and got her ML. yay!! for her, but we are looking to get her a bike that will fit her. so... this thread will help her understand. thanks all!
                  Toby Crawford

Riding to keep sane!!!

Comment

Passenger backrest comes in handy for riding 2 up.

http://jalopnik.com/falling-onto-a-m...-fun-476210632
                    sigpic

When I was a kid.... No, wait I still do that

Comment

Oh that's so not cool - ow! Why would you get on like that? Darwin potential candidate
                      Non Chapter Member

Comment

One thing I've stressed to my wife when we ride 2 up is to try to keep alert. If & When we were ever to come to an emergency braking situation where I'm hard on both front & rear brakes I've told her to push with her feet against the footpegs & try to keep her back against the sissy bar so she doesnt come forward pressing on me & affecting my ability to control the handle bars.
                        Let's ride...
                        '03 1500 Mean Streak
                        My name is Steammaker & I'm addicted to modifying my Mean Streak..

Comment

Working...
                        X