Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Food for Thought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food for Thought

I use Google News for my home page and a while back, I added motorcycle news in my personal settings. They include news on shows, rally's, education, accidents and more. Unbelievable how many wrecks, deaths and injuries. Many of the articles include details on how accidents happen. In many cases, crotch rockets are one vehicle situations (22 years old, 2 in the morning, doing 90 in a residential area, lose control). Cruiser accidents tend to be cars turning out in front, someone runs a stop sign, etc.. But what I have gotten from this is renewed sense of awareness of what can happen and a more alert attitude when I ride. When you ride for so many years, you tend to relax and enjoy the scenery, maybe a little too much. You can't ride scared or you may as well park it. But you still have to realize years of experience do no not make you invincible.
    sigpic

When I was a kid.... No, wait I still do that

Re: Food for Thought

Nice tidbit on the news feed
    Aloha

Derry ~DaBull~
    Bullock
    Former VRA USA National President
    Former NW Florida Chapter 1-6 President
    Crestview, Florida
    2012 Vulcan Voyager 1700
    (Previous 2005 Vulcan Nomad 1600)

~If you fool with Da Bull...You're gonna get the Horn

Comment

Perfect words...Like people saying "I didn't think this would happen to me"
      You only live once, so live life like a kid always
      www.facebook.com/groups/missouribootheelvra/
      https://www.facebook.com/tom.taylor....ref=ts&fref=ts
      http://missouribootheel1-58.weebly.com

Comment

I never thought of checking news feeds, probably b/c most of them are depressing.
        Bob Howley "ICE CUBE"
        2007 VN900 CUSTOM
        2020 1700 VOYAGER

Comment

Good advice, as soon as you don't expect something is when it happens!
          Randy - aka racinfan101
          Central IL Chapter 1-39 President
          2024/25 National President

https://www.facebook.com/groups/cent...?ref=bookmarks
          2002 Vulcan Drifter 800, 2010 Vulcan Nomad 1700, 2020 Kawasaki W800. Gone but not forgotten...2008 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2002 Vulcan Drifter 1500.

Comment

Well, I was t-boned once and had a person pull a left in front of me where I had to lay my bike down to avoid contact, I'm always aware of everyone else. I know they aren't looking for me.
            Fish
            Experience: That most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.

Comment

Originally posted by fishgoblue View Post
              Well, I was t-boned once and had a person pull a left in front of me where I had to lay my bike down to avoid contact, I'm always aware of everyone else. I know they aren't looking for me.
              How do you practice that maneuver fish?
              '18 Road Glide Special, '18 Moto Guzzi V7III Carbon, '75 KT250 Trials.

Comment

Originally posted by twowheeladdict View Post
                How do you practice that maneuver fish?
                What maneuver? I just locked them up and laid it down, if not it would have been a head on collision.
                Fish

Comment

Originally posted by fishgoblue View Post
                  What maneuver? I just locked them up and laid it down, if not it would have been a head on collision.
                  What about those of us with ABS? We can't lock them up. Maybe we will have time to swerve without going down. Let's hope so.
                  '18 Road Glide Special, '18 Moto Guzzi V7III Carbon, '75 KT250 Trials.

Comment

Originally posted by twowheeladdict View Post
                    What about those of us with ABS? We can't lock them up. Maybe we will have time to swerve without going down. Let's hope so.
                    I hope you never have to worry about it, because that means no one pulls out in front of you.
                    Fish

Comment

Now that is warming up, you'll find me in the local parking lot practicing panic stops and swerving. We all get rusty and need to redevelop the muscle memory. I look at it like sex, I may know how to do it and do it well (IMHO), but I'm not against practicing! LOL
                      Mike

2002 Mean Streak, Memphis Shades Big Shot, V&H Shots, Mustang Seat, Power Commander, Unknown Bags, Nomad Drivers Floorboards, Kuryakyn Mini Floorboards for Passenger

Comment

Before I bought my bike, I read EVERYTHING I could find on motorcycle riding and accidents. I never had any kind of motorcycle.....not even a dirt bike! Well, the number one factor is speed....even when someone pulls out in front of you. That being said, I watch other vehicles tires and tail lights. If they roll or the brake lights disappear, I roll off the speed. I also practice a lot of fast stopping and evasive steering on roads with no traffic. I have been riding ALMOST one year now and I try to keep my senses highly alert. My biggest enemy is my invisibility to others, so I try to make myself more obvious by positioning myself to be seen. Sometimes I make my bike move in my lane from side to side to make the cages see me. I leave my bright light on during the day and I use my hand as well as turn signals to alert those behind me. I wish my bike had hazards, because it would be wise to use them when you are in construction areas or aproaching rail road tracks. For now I alternate my left/right turn signals. I love riding but I am aware of the risks. It's amazing how many great drivers are out there but also how shamefully poor some are at operating a vehicle. Worst for us...."I never saw them"!!!! I say...you weren't looking!!!!! My wife was a HORRIBLE driver until I got her to learn to ride my bike. Now she stays back a few seconds, now she looks more, now she stays off her cell phone while driving, and now she respects the road more! I bought her a bike and it's changed our lives! We love taking rides on pretty days and I ride up front to kinda watch out for her. She is doing great and loves her Yamaha, and we can't wait to meet fellow biking couples!
                        Ride safe and god bless!!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X