Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shifting question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shifting question

I'm not sure if this is a safety issue or my lack of knowledge but I feel I need to ask.

Sometimes my 900 won't go into gear. Sometimes it happens when I'm slowing for a stop, it won't go completely into 1st. My solution is to ease out on the clutch until I hear it catch, then it will go into gear. Also, sometimes when I'm trying to put it in neutral to start, I can't get it in gear. So I have to roll it forward, then hear it catch, then it will go into neutral.

Is this normal?
    Life is a Highway
    I wanna ride it all. . .

Re: Shifting question

My 800 did that too. If I didn't shift into 1st before I came to a complete stop it would not go in. I would have to roll it a bit then put it in first. I did have it in the shop for that but they said there was nothing wrong so I just dealt with it. So I want to say this is somewhat normal, but I am by no means a mechanic so will let the others on here who really know what they are talking about answer more specifically!! AND GO!!!
    Patrick "Hotwheels" Sharon
    President Columbus Vulcan Riders Chapter 1-32
    Columbus, Oh
    National President 2020
    National Vice President 2019
    National Treasurer 2013 - 2015
    VROC Member # 34133
    2014 Vulcan Voyager
    2021 CanAm Spyder F3-Limited

2020 CanAm Spyder F3-Limited
    2009 Vulcan Voyager - Gone
    2002 1500 Mean Streak - Gone
    2007 Vulcan VN2000 Classic LT
    -Gone
    2007 Vulcan VN900 Classic LT - Gone

Columbus Vulcan Riders 1-32 FaceBook group

Comment

My 1600 will do the same thing. Typically it's just putting it into 1st after being parked or stopped. I just let out on the clutch until it catches. Doesn't happen every time, just once in a while.
      Always Believe,
      Marc VanderPal

President - Rock River Valley Vulcan Riders

Email - marcvanderpal@charter.net

Comment

Shifting problems aren't a trait of the 900. However, the 900 can be picky about oil brand that causes shifting problems and becomes more noticeable after the oil has about 1500 miles on it; Rotella T5 or T6 works well in the 900. Check clutch lever freeplay and check for fraying cable, especially at the lever; some 900's have reported problems with the cable fraying and stretching which leads to shifting problems. It may also be the way you're shifting but can't tell from the description.
        Bob Howley "ICE CUBE"
        2007 VN900 CUSTOM
        2020 1700 VOYAGER

Comment

Thanks, yall!
          It's close to time for having an oil change and I always take it to the Kawasaki dealership to have that done. I'll have them check for slack in the lever and to see if wires are frayed.

Glad to know I'm going crazy. . . course, I wouldn't have far to go! LOL!
          Life is a Highway
          I wanna ride it all. . .

Comment

My 2 cents worth every bike has a personality, as you learn it the easier it is to upshift and downshift, where the clutch likes to work and where it don't. I do dynamic braking with mine all the time, so I am downshifting and upshifting a lot.
            Non Chapter Member

Comment

What you discribe is the nature of manual transmitions. I started rideing when double cluching was manditory. The gear syncrinization has improved over time. Still you will always have some problems. I tell people that shifting problems are a Zen thing. You must be one with the bike.

Comment

"One with the bike" I like it!

Thanks for all the advice! I can feel when it doesn't kick into gear so I just ease up on the clutch until it does. Then it works properly.
                Life is a Highway
                I wanna ride it all. . .

Comment

Working...
                X