Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peer Pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peer Pressure

Peer Pressure Is Easy - You Aren't
    We don't argue with ourselves enough

By: James R. Davis

All experienced group riders know that each individual in the group is responsible for their own safety. They know that in every group, one of them has the least experience or skill/control. Generally, they know that the group should ride to the skills of the least common denominator - the least experienced, or least skilled/controlled.

But sometimes you join a group for a ride and many if not all of them are strangers. Sometimes a new member joins your group and you have no idea what their skill level or experience might be. This should be a serious concern to the lead bike (often called the Road Captain - though not necessarily so.)

Since it's up to the lead bike to set the pace, how can that be done without knowing what the least common denominator is? Clearly this is an argument for a pre-ride meeting and some questions designed to find out as much as you can about who you are riding with.

But realities are such that even if you try to find out who has the least experience or least skill/control, the odds are that you will have trouble doing so. People have 'face', after all. People are reluctant to be seen as the weakest of the group. Worse, and we have seen tragic results of this recently, some people honestly believe they have better skills/control than they really do and are quite convincing about it with others.

From a lead bike point of view, a solution is readily at hand - always place a new member of the group in the last right-track position (sometimes called the 'slot') in front of the drag bike and have the drag bike observe how that person actually rides. Once the drag bike advises the lead bike that the new person demonstrates adequate skill/control then that person is freed to ride anywhere they want to in the group. Until everybody in the group is at least seen to have reasonable skills/control while riding with the group, the lead bike has no business pushing any limits.

But the heading of this message regards peer pressure, and I would like to talk briefly about group dynamics that are dangerous precisely because of peer pressure. Even assuming that everyone in a group is well known to each other, there is still a least experienced, least skilled/controlled person there. That person usually feels that he/she has very little choice but to try to 'keep up', to try to not hold the rest of the group back. If nothing else, they often think that 'stretching' themselves is a learning experience.

And while it is definitely a learning experience, if you survive it, 'keeping up', or not holding the rest of the group back should NOT be part of the equation!! A brave person will acknowledge their weaknesses and not push the envelope aggressively, even if it means that the rest of the group will recognize those weaknesses. A smart person believes absolutely that THEY are responsible for their own ride/safety - and not incidentally, in not being a potential hazard to anyone else. These people ignore peer pressure to the point that they might not fit into a particular group - and that's just fine for all concerned!

But peer pressure is NOT the real danger - there is always peer pressure (sometimes thoughtless, sometimes just good natured competition, sometimes no more than shared courtesy.) It is YOUR OWN PERSONAL pressure to perform that can be dangerous. I call that your 'head'.

What I'm getting at is mental 'rightness' - being ready and prepared to do what you are about to do, and knowing it.

If your head is not 'right', STOP and get it 'right' before you go another two feet on your motorcycle!!!!

After more than 30 years of riding motorcycles there are times when I simply feel that I cannot safely do something that I have done a thousand times before - sometimes the most trivial of things. For example, a few years ago I was on a tour to Tulsa, Oklahoma and our group had just finished a pit stop and were on our way back onto the road. We were on a parking lot that had a driveway with a relatively severe dip in it as it joined the main road where we then had to make a hard right turn to get underway. All the bikes ahead of me did just fine with that dip. But when it was my turn to negotiate that driveway I decided that my head was not 'right' and stopped my bike. I radioed to the lead bike that I would catch up in a moment, nothing was wrong. One minute later my head was 'right', confidence restored, and I took off and joined the group. Trivial embarrassment is nothing compared to an accident.

There is no doubt in my mind at all (NOW) that I could have made that exit from the parking lot without a problem. But this is one experienced rider that is not ashamed to say that when my head is 'wrong', I stop and wait until it gets 'right'.

Peer pressure is easy - you aren't.
    Aloha

Derry ~DaBull~
    Bullock
    Former VRA USA National President
    Former NW Florida Chapter 1-6 President
    Crestview, Florida
    2012 Vulcan Voyager 1700
    (Previous 2005 Vulcan Nomad 1600)

~If you fool with Da Bull...You're gonna get the Horn

Re: Peer Pressure

Great Article!!
    Randy - aka racinfan101
    Central IL Chapter 1-39 President
    2024/25 National President

https://www.facebook.com/groups/cent...?ref=bookmarks
    2002 Vulcan Drifter 800, 2010 Vulcan Nomad 1700, 2020 Kawasaki W800. Gone but not forgotten...2008 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2002 Vulcan Drifter 1500.

Comment

I'm easy BUT, I'm not cheap.... LMAO
      I did really like your post though because it applies directly to a friend/coworker of mine.
      Thanks for posting...
      Let's ride...
      '03 1500 Mean Streak
      My name is Steammaker & I'm addicted to modifying my Mean Streak..

Comment

Great story! Thanks Derry!
        Patrick "Hotwheels" Sharon
        President Columbus Vulcan Riders Chapter 1-32
        Columbus, Oh
        National President 2020
        National Vice President 2019
        National Treasurer 2013 - 2015
        VROC Member # 34133
        2014 Vulcan Voyager
        2021 CanAm Spyder F3-Limited

2020 CanAm Spyder F3-Limited
        2009 Vulcan Voyager - Gone
        2002 1500 Mean Streak - Gone
        2007 Vulcan VN2000 Classic LT
        -Gone
        2007 Vulcan VN900 Classic LT - Gone

Columbus Vulcan Riders 1-32 FaceBook group

Comment

Good article, thanks.
          sigpic
          Member of VRA Canada
          Member of CMC 075 Huron
          http://vracanada.prophpbb.com/
          http://ride.canadianmotorcyclecruisers.ca/

Comment

Great article, thanks for sharing. I think this can go so far in life, haha. There's always someone trying to show off when they should probably settle down a little bit. Trusting your gut is one of the best things you can do though.

Comment

Excellent article. I am new to riding with a group and every once in awhile I feel like I/we are pushing too hard in blind curves. The last place you want to be surprised is in a curve! At first my head games were all about not wanting to holding the whole group up but I managed to "get my head right" and slow down as I felt it necessary. Not one rider complained or even mentioned it.
              Oak

Comment

Great great article - this will be shared with our group!
                Non Chapter Member

Comment

Really good read. That's the intangible part of riding in a group that you have to learn, but it can't be taught. Finding the right group is all about comfort. A few weeks ago, we rode with some guys who wanted to ride like they stole it all day, even on beautiful backroads where it would have been nice to enjoy the scenery. When we stopped for lunch, I asked one of the leads who seemed to be the instigator that forced others to try and keep up, what I should do if I didn't feel comfortable going 75 in a 45. He said "Don't." I asked "What if I don't know where I'm going?" He said "Oh well." Guess who I won't be riding with again.
                  And yea, if your head is telling you not to do something, LISTEN!

Sent from beautiful Butler, PA using Tapatalk
                  Patty Martin
                  sigpic

Comment

I couldn't agree more!

Comment

Yeah I felt a little bad for slowing wayyy down on the twisties for my first group ride.. I was 2nd in line... but id rather feel safe than worry about riding beyond my ability. No one in the group seemed to mind, and they got a chuckle out of my body language when I felt I was screwing up.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Brooke we will be sure not to give you any grief on riding. Especially since you are with Paul... That's enough grief as it is!!! hahahah

Seriously, we will do everything we can to make sure you are safe an comfortable in the rides! We just want to have fun and ride!
                        Patrick "Hotwheels" Sharon
                        President Columbus Vulcan Riders Chapter 1-32
                        Columbus, Oh
                        National President 2020
                        National Vice President 2019
                        National Treasurer 2013 - 2015
                        VROC Member # 34133
                        2014 Vulcan Voyager
                        2021 CanAm Spyder F3-Limited

2020 CanAm Spyder F3-Limited
                        2009 Vulcan Voyager - Gone
                        2002 1500 Mean Streak - Gone
                        2007 Vulcan VN2000 Classic LT
                        -Gone
                        2007 Vulcan VN900 Classic LT - Gone

Columbus Vulcan Riders 1-32 FaceBook group

Comment

I know... I've been on 2 rides now, and both were good, the guys have been great! I can handle the lighthearted teasin I get. I figure that's how I know they love me

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Working...
                          X