Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Novelty Helmets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Novelty Helmets

Good article on novelty helmets. Also interesting that manufacturers are on an honor system for DOT compliance.
    http://www.kansascity.com/2013/04/30...e-novelty.html
    sigpic

When I was a kid.... No, wait I still do that

Re: Novelty Helmets

I thought everyone knew that novelty helmets were only for looks. Its up to the rider to deside if they want to be protected or look cool. Please lets not get the government involved. They will just muck it up.

Comment

Originally posted by efinney View Post
      I thought everyone knew that novelty helmets were only for looks. Its up to the rider to deside if they want to be protected or look cool. Please lets not get the government involved. They will just muck it up.
      I agree 100%. The only thing that I have a problem with is the counterfeiters. People who buy helmets that aren't DOT or Snell know what they're getting and are getting them for a reason. The fakers need to be shut down.

If it's legal to not wear a helmet, it should be legal to wear a beanie or anything else on your head. Next up: Bandanas and doo-rags offer no real protection. News at 11.
      San Diego Vulcan Riders 1-24
      https://sdvra.com
      • 2002 VN1500P Mean Streak
      • 2006 VN1600B Mean Streak
      • 2013 VN1700J Vaquero

Comment

I am not a helmet proponent and feel that you should be able to choose what you wear or do not wear. Florida does not have a helmet law, sometimes I wear my half helmet, sometimes not. I just think for those who choose to wear a helmet, buyer beware. As Lee said above, the problem is with the counterfeiters. You can buy DOT stickers on ebay (pack of 10 for $3.99), companies have been caught putting stickers on novelty helmets, and this moring I was looking at a site alibaba.com where companies can buy Chinese made helmets. They have 295 different styles, 1/2, 3/4 and full helmets that look really nice, black, white, fancy paint schemes. They can order these in bulk orders of 500 generally for $1. to $30. each (most are $5 to $15). And they state they are DOT certified. They may be completely legit and I have just been paying a huge markup for my helmets, but remember, it's up to them to police themselves. Point being, if you want to wear a helmet for protection, do a little research.
        sigpic

When I was a kid.... No, wait I still do that

Comment

As always, someone dies and dumbasses who don't ride and believe that the government has a right to legislate safety call out for more laws.

Why, if they just passed enough laws, no one would ever die!

Always the same pattern... And any government is always willing to take more power from the governed.....

/ rant

Comment

A friend of my Boss got pulled over for wearing a non-DOT helmet in Tennessee. The State trooper told him that the fine for wearing a non approved helmet is higher than if he were not wearing a helmet at all.

Of course the risk of getting pulled over would increase if he weren't wearing anything.
            '18 Road Glide Special, '18 Moto Guzzi V7III Carbon, '75 KT250 Trials.

Comment

I don't wear a helmet under most circumstances. I started wearing a novelty helmet to keep my head from burning (I'm bald and that's a lot of sun time). When I do wear a helmet, it limits my field of vision and makes me feel less mobile.

I make that choice, consciously, after having gathered the facts for myself. DOT helmets are only required to stand up to 17.1 ft/s (11 mph). You can read that here.

I don't try to convince other people not to wear a helmet and if you want to wear your helmet, that's perfectly fine by me. On that same token, please don't try to convince me to wear a helmet.
              || Former President | Vulcan Riders Association | Chapter 1-30 ||
              ||2012 Kawasaki Nomad||
              ||VBA #03091||

Comment

I've been in several bad accidents.
                If I had not been wearing my well made helmet I would be dead.
                I don't try to convince people to wear a good helmet.
                I feel that it's a form of "natural selection" and I am all for a persons freedom to choose.

JJ

Comment

Originally posted by Hayes View Post
                  I make that choice, consciously, after having gathered the facts for myself. DOT helmets are only required to stand up to 17.1 ft/s (11 mph). You can read that here.
                  Good thing racers don't crash any faster than 11 mph.
                  '18 Road Glide Special, '18 Moto Guzzi V7III Carbon, '75 KT250 Trials.

Comment

Originally posted by twowheeladdict View Post
                    Good thing racers don't crash any faster than 11 mph.
                    They might as well not wear helmets since they are traveling much faster than the helmet is capable of having any value to them in a crash.

JJ

Comment

Originally posted by Jammin'John View Post
                      They might as well not wear helmets since they are traveling much faster than the helmet is capable of having any value to them in a crash.

JJ
                      Keeps the bugs off.

I use my helmet more for cold weather protection than head protection.

Between diabetics, family history of cancer and heart disease, being fat, kidney trouble and my love of fried foods.... Riding without a helmet just makes it a level playing field

Comment

If you had kept your weight down and stopped the fried foods the diabetes & heart trouble would not have occured as soon.
                        So you have hastened your demise with your chosen lifestyle,family history or not.
                        No helmet or a crappy helmet could help you out with your death wish.
                        Cancer you have to be vigilant about but your chosen lifestyle will probably get you some eventually.
                        Sounds like you have given up and have nothing to live for.
                        I've had cancer,a heart attack,& many bad accidents but I am not ready to check out yet.
                        Very sorry to hear that you have given up on life so easily.

JJ

Comment

If you had kept your weight down and stopped the fried foods the diabetes & heart trouble would not have occured as soon.
                          So you have hastened your demise with your chosen lifestyle,family history or not.
                          No helmet or a crappy helmet could help you out with your death wish.
                          Cancer you have to be vigilant about but your chosen lifestyle will probably get you some eventually.
                          Sounds like you have given up and have nothing to live for.
                          I've had cancer,a heart attack,& many bad accidents but I am not ready to check out yet.
                          Very sorry to hear that you have given up on life so easily.

JJ
                          Oh, I think there is a little room left on the Internet for humor, don't you? I'm not giving up on anything, just accepting that there are many ways to go.

I'm just not as convinced wearing a half bucket is going to keep me alive in an accident in which I would die.

EVERYONE on a motorcycle has a death wish, you're fooling yourself if you think otherwise.

You don't go out on the roads in half a car, mixed in with cars driven by complete idiots, and NOT be prepared to die every time you turn the key.

Riding motorcycles is marginally safer than playing in traffic.

Comment

I suppose you wouldn't feel pain for long with a poorly made half helmet in a crash.
                            I think most folks who wear them will have the helmet fall off in a crash.
                            They never seem to tighten the d rings up enough to actually hold the helmet on.
                            It can't do ANY good if it falls off.
                            You don't get a real helmet until you get at least a 3/4 or full face one.
                            It won't work if it doesn't fit !
                            I wear Arai & Shoei.

JJ

Comment

I suppose you wouldn't feel pain for long with a poorly made half helmet in a crash.
                              I think most folks who wear them will have the helmet fall off in a crash.
                              They never seem to tighten the d rings up enough to actually hold the helmet on.
                              It can't do ANY good if it falls off.
                              You don't get a real helmet until you get at least a 3/4 or full face one.
                              It won't work if it doesn't fit !
                              I wear Arai & Shoei.

JJ
                              I have a full helmet that I wear in the winter, but the summer it is a half with Bluetooth installed, or just earplugs.

One of the joys in my life is riding free. Open road, sun, wind.

Is it WISE to wear a helmet? Sure. Any protection is better than no protection. But there is a difference between wise legislation and legislating wisdom.

One allows you to be responsible for yourself, the other removes choice and creates expense and red tape.

Comment

Working...
                              X