Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Truth about Drinking and Riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Truth about Drinking and Riding

Aloha

Derry ~DaBull~
    Bullock
    Former VRA USA National President
    Former NW Florida Chapter 1-6 President
    Crestview, Florida
    2012 Vulcan Voyager 1700
    (Previous 2005 Vulcan Nomad 1600)

~If you fool with Da Bull...You're gonna get the Horn

Re: The Truth about Drinking and Riding

Interesting stuff!
    As a non-drinker in Scotland, I can't say we have much of the bar-hopping or riding home under the influence here. But what can be a problem is the morning-after ride home from a rally. So often the big party night is a Friday, Saturday recovery and sober ride home on Sunday. However the Saturday group ride can be a problem. Our Swedish VRA friends actually breathalyse every rider on the way out the gate to ensure the group is sober and legal!

I can't believe the "if you can keep keep your bike upright, you're OK to ride" - do people really believe that? It is well known that alcohol affects your judgement even if your ability is OK.

Before I stopped drinking for health reasons, I never, never had alcohol before riding or driving. It is grossly irresponsible to put others at risk!

Rant over.
    Rob Barbour
    800 Drifter (Scotland) VN900 (Ohio)

Comment

While no one will publicly declare alcohol consumption and motorcycling are OK,
      No one asked me.
      sigpic
      "I'm your Huckleberry"
      Original 10 founding member VRA Canada
      President VRAC Lethbridge Chapter 02-AB-01

Comment

I don't get this either. You know the damage that can caused when riding sober, so what do you think is going to happen when you drive drunk. Not only to you have to watch yourself, but you have to watch others. Not smart at all.

Comment

Who cares?

Let 'em...thins out the herd...evolution in practical application....

For the last 50 years we have watched as Western Civilization has become more pussified every passing decade.
          Don't do this, don't do that.

We have become nations of sissies, "careful you don't skin your knees on that swing set Jimmy" Playgrounds with rubber mats everywhere, sheesh what a bunch of crap.
          This generation would never have fought the Nazi's, or traveled across an ocean to new lands to survive.
          These metrosexuals around us would go apes*** if the electricity ever went out.
          No iphone, no computer...oh yeah, no gasoline...no food...then what?
          A zombie apocalypse would have nothing on these shaven apes when the SHTF.

Enough already, enough saving the terminal stupid from themselves. All it has done is lowered the survivability, intelligence, and shear guts of our species.

So drink up me hearties, ride your bike...die...that will leave more gasoline, and parking spaces for me. How cool is that?

Oh...almost forgot, I of course fully support your right not to wear a helmet, not wear a seat-belt, and run with scissors...just doing my part to help out.

I'm all about the helping.
          sigpic
          "I'm your Huckleberry"

Comment

“I know that when I ride and I have a beer it feels better riding. It loosens you up – it relieves tension,” he said, “It feels more exciting riding. You enjoy your ride better if you have one beer.”
            It is sad that there are people who are so uptight that they can't relax without some alcohol. Riding in and of itself takes so much focus to stay safe that you don't have time to think about work or other stresses in life.

Hey Toecutter, that is fine as long as they are crashing into the first tree, or ditch within a couple hundred feet of leaving the bar. But no, they are crashing into innocent folks that are going about there day, and that is when I take issue with driving or riding while drinking. Not to mention the EMTs who have to deal with the carnage.

There are actually people who don't think alcohol is a drug, and society doesn't want to accept it as a drug, because we are all taught that drugs are bad.

One of the reasons I am not that interested in attending the VRA rally is the posts that focus on the drinking that goes on at the rally. Nothing more pathetic than sloppy drunks.
            '18 Road Glide Special, '18 Moto Guzzi V7III Carbon, '75 KT250 Trials.

Comment

Agreed, if you need something to "loosen ya up" ya got other problems...

Most bike crashes are single vehicle, granted, innocents suffer, but that's the way it goes. Innocents suffer all over the world from many things, ain't gonna stop any time soon. Like the man said "Deserves got nothin' to do with it".

EMT's, I presume, did not go into their profession with the idea it wouldn't get icky. They chose their path, they should not be surprised when things go turbo.

People make stupid choices every day. Some die because of them. Sometimes they also take innocent people with them. That's life...er...death.

If someone actually thinks they ride/drive "better" under the influence of anything, they are obviously to friggin dumb to live. To bad they are also allowed to vote. I also fully support late term abortions...late term meaning 20-70 yr old.

What I find laughable is that anyone needs an article to tell them the bleeding freakin' obvious.
              As in, just before reading it they were thinking "Maybe I'll go have a beer, and do some riding" OMG, THIS ARTICLE SAYS IT'S NOT SAFE!!!!!

...Meanwhile outside of every biker bar..Darwin awaits....natural selection rears it's head at the sound of another bike starting up....
              sigpic
              "I'm your Huckleberry"

Comment

Thanks for posting this, I am going to share this
                Non Chapter Member

Comment

Originally posted by Toecutter View Post
                  Who cares?

Let 'em...thins out the herd...evolution in practical application....

For the last 50 years we have watched as Western Civilization has become more pussified every passing decade.
                  Don't do this, don't do that.

We have become nations of sissies, "careful you don't skin your knees on that swing set Jimmy" Playgrounds with rubber mats everywhere, sheesh what a bunch of crap.
                  This generation would never have fought the Nazi's, or traveled across an ocean to new lands to survive.
                  These metrosexuals around us would go apes*** if the electricity ever went out.
                  No iphone, no computer...oh yeah, no gasoline...no food...then what?
                  A zombie apocalypse would have nothing on these shaven apes when the SHTF.

Enough already, enough saving the terminal stupid from themselves. All it has done is lowered the survivability, intelligence, and shear guts of our species.

So drink up me hearties, ride your bike...die...that will leave more gasoline, and parking spaces for me. How cool is that?

Oh...almost forgot, I of course fully support your right not to wear a helmet, not wear a seat-belt, and run with scissors...just doing my part to help out.

I'm all about the helping.
                  I agree with a lot of what you said. The wussification of the United States. The country is heading to a one gender society. It makes me sick to see some of the young people of today.

And FYI, I don't drink and ride, and I always wear a helmet in a no helmet law state.
                  Fish
                  Experience: That most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.

Comment

Working...
                  X