Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Motorcycle Cornering Clearance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorcycle Cornering Clearance

I found this to be a good article concerning what to do and what not to do when you start grinding pegs and floorboards in a turn

http://www.motorcycle.com/how-to/mot...clearance-runs
    Aloha

Derry ~DaBull~
    Bullock
    Former VRA USA National President
    Former NW Florida Chapter 1-6 President
    Crestview, Florida
    2012 Vulcan Voyager 1700
    (Previous 2005 Vulcan Nomad 1600)

~If you fool with Da Bull...You're gonna get the Horn

Re: Motorcycle Cornering Clearance

Excellent article!
    Randy - aka racinfan101
    Central IL Chapter 1-39 President
    2024/25 National President

https://www.facebook.com/groups/cent...?ref=bookmarks
    2002 Vulcan Drifter 800, 2010 Vulcan Nomad 1700, 2020 Kawasaki W800. Gone but not forgotten...2008 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2002 Vulcan Drifter 1500.

Comment

Good article. Although I enjoy scraping my pipes and floorboards it does startle me if I havent done it in a while. I also use my alarm system I have seated directly behind me to let me know that i have gone a little too far over... When I hear a ooohhhh or a weeeeeeeee I know that I have over done it a little. And just let me mention that I do try to set my alarm off quite often haha
      Isaiah 40;31
      MISS BETTY 2012 900 Classic
      South Carolina BURN Road Captain
      http://www.bikersurbanresponseneeded.org/

Comment

I frequently lay my bike over, can't have that chicken strip. Contrary to the article I use my boot heel (really tough on my dress shoes going to work) as early warning and then await the peg to start folding up on my foot. I'm lowered 2" in the rear so I expect to kiss the ground versus being startled by the event.
        Bob Howley "ICE CUBE"
        2007 VN900 CUSTOM
        2020 1700 VOYAGER

Comment

Originally posted by mmccune View Post
          ...I also use my alarm system I have seated directly behind me to let me know that i have gone a little too far over... When I hear a ooohhhh or a weeeeeeeee I know that I have over done it a little. And just let me mention that I do try to set my alarm off quite often haha
          My alarm system has the deluxe "slap in the side of the helmet" feature. Apparently it is also activated during "excessive" speed trials...
          sigpic
          "I'm your Huckleberry"
          Original 10 founding member VRA Canada
          President VRAC Lethbridge Chapter 02-AB-01

Comment

very good thanks
            "Hagar"

Comment

Great article. I took my Nomad up to the Tail of the Dragon with a friend and my brother. They let me lead. I felt very comfortable with my speed, and never once drug a floorboard. My brother was on his BMW R1150RT in the rear. He told me he was just waiting for me to make sparks, because of how close I was getting.

Now my Mean Streak is another story. Even with stock shocks and pegs I would drag quite often. I switched to Mapam forward controls, which moved the pegs 4" forward, and up a good 1-1 1/2". I still drag those, though my boot heel will touch first. I got in the habit of rolling my foot more forward, raising the heel up, when cornering. I've gotten better about knowing where that point of drag is. At least till I lowered the rear end. Now it seems I'm re-learning where that point is. I've also gotten to the point where I will pick my foot up so the peg can drag more if I need it to. But I typically only do that in certain situations. As in: I realize while in the curve that I may be a little fast or that the curve has more of a decreasing radius than I first realized.

It's definitely a good article. Worth reading. I'm also of the crowd that thinks EVERY rider should go through a MSF course at least once. While it was drudgery sitting through the basics for those who had never even sat on a bike before, (and seriously made me question whether or not I had wasted $225!), I learned and practiced techniques that I had never considered before. Definitely worth the monetary and time investment.

Thanks for posting interesting articles like this!

Comment

How ironic that I started reading this a few days ago at work and was planning to read it in full when I got home. I could have used some of this info....

Well, not really. There wasn't much scraping going on, just that a curve suddenly got tighter, sort of converting from a sweeping curve to a left turn. By the time I adapted the lean and scraped the pegs (or something harder), I just gouged the pavement right hear the edge. A short stretch of dirt shoulder and a guard rail later, my riding has been curtailed for a little while.

Now to see what I can do about the bike. Damn, I like this bike.
                San Diego Vulcan Riders 1-24
                https://sdvra.com
                • 2002 VN1500P Mean Streak
                • 2006 VN1600B Mean Streak
                • 2013 VN1700J Vaquero

Comment

dude...hope you are ok...bikes can be fixed....
                  Aloha

Derry ~DaBull~
                  Bullock
                  Former VRA USA National President
                  Former NW Florida Chapter 1-6 President
                  Crestview, Florida
                  2012 Vulcan Voyager 1700
                  (Previous 2005 Vulcan Nomad 1600)

~If you fool with Da Bull...You're gonna get the Horn

Comment

You're right, and I'm thankful to be in good shape. Nothing broken and trivial rash on the knees. Once I was up & walking around, then I got really bummed about the bike. I'm optimistic, though. I don't think there's really serious damage, but that's just from a quick visual.

Thanks for the thoughts.
                    San Diego Vulcan Riders 1-24
                    https://sdvra.com
                    • 2002 VN1500P Mean Streak
                    • 2006 VN1600B Mean Streak
                    • 2013 VN1700J Vaquero

Comment

Damn dude!! Glad you are okay!!! You will have the bike good as new in no time I am sure!
                      Randy - aka racinfan101
                      Central IL Chapter 1-39 President
                      2024/25 National President

https://www.facebook.com/groups/cent...?ref=bookmarks
                      2002 Vulcan Drifter 800, 2010 Vulcan Nomad 1700, 2020 Kawasaki W800. Gone but not forgotten...2008 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2002 Vulcan Drifter 1500.

Comment

hard to scrape much of any thing on the V2 but last year in a on-ramp corner I have taken a 100+ times the rear bottomed out on some thing? and made the rear shock un-load. [jumped up] that made for a major "Butt Pucker" moment. as the bike jumped side ways.. went back and walked the corner latter -- never did see any thing that could have caused that. ! the scrap tabs on the bottom of the floor boards are on the front of the foot rest.. dealer installed them back wards. one of these days I will swap them around until then eehhh! good read. thanks Derry
                        Glenn Gale, President 1-26

Comment

Good article Derry, but I never scrape floor boards
                          Albie Salsburg (1700 Rider)
                          2009 Vulcan Voyager
                          V&H Slipons
                          Thunder MFG Air Kit
                          "Ivan's Re-Flash"

Comment

Working...
                          X