Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On Getting Older

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On Getting Older

Alas, we don't stay young forever. There are aspects to this about which we are seldom warned. When I was young, if I wanted to lift something, I grabbed it and heaved. If it was too heavy, I heaved harder. If I couldn't lift it, end of story. Here's the deal, when you get older, the end of the story might well be that some relatively important body part fails. In my case, I was doing a U-turn through a break in the median when I spotted oncoming traffic. I foolishly stopped before getting upright. The fully laden Vstrom settled onto the road despite my best efforts to hold it up. I'd seen an article about hoisting bikes by backing up to them. Unfortunately, the guy posing for the illustrative photo hadn't read it either. He was backed up to the bike like a squatting frog. I found out that didn't work, so I turned around and tried to heave the sucker up by the handlebars as I was able to do when younger and with lighter bikes. Upon applying super-max effort, my right achilles tendon let go with a sickening feeling. Fortunately, it was not the left one, so I was able to shift gears and ride home. Who uses the back brake anyway? It might have been nicer if I hadn't been down below Vera Cruz, Mexico, but I made it home to Nebraska within a few days. When I had the doc check me out, he said you have about 5 days to repair those ruptures. I was in surgery the next (5th) day.

A couple of lessons learned: 1. Don't let embarrassment make you be stupid. Within a second of my popping my tendon, there were Samaritan hands on the bike, helping me right it. Had I been less frantic to avoid eye contact and get out of there, I might have noticed that there was help available. 2. The correct technique for picking up a heavy steed is to make sure it's in gear, put your butt against the seat, turn the front wheel toward the ground to a. provide a smooth, rocking fulcrum and b. move the contact point under some of the weight, making it easier to lift, and with your legs almost straight out to the side, where it takes little effort to straighten them, walk that thing up little by little until it's at balance, swing your now uninjured leg over it and ride off.

Sounds good but when I had opportunity to test it on a freshly graveled campground road, the gravel just swallowed my heels. The technique requires traction for your boots. Fortunately, in that instance I was able to grunt the thing up by the handlebars without sacrificing any body parts. The 650 is 40 lb lighter than the 1000, plus I'd already made camp so it was mostly unloaded.

Here is "Skert" Youorski demonstrating the technique.

I'm sure you can find video of her doing so on YouTube.

So, don't fall over and don't be stupid, from a guy what did.
    '01 TTR125L, '01 plated WR426, '00 Super Sherpa, '81 KM100, '80 SR500, '78 XS650, '06 DL650, '10 MG V7 Classic, '12 MG Griso 8V SE, '12 VN1700 Nomad
    sigpic-John

Crikey AM, glad everything worked out ok for you in the long run, but crikey what a 'pickle' to be in. Hope the the injury comes right quickly for you.

Have to admit to doing something similar a few years back when stopped at a remote intersection on a hill on my ole CBR. Being remote thought I'd have a breather and soak up the view. Didn't hear or see a car pull up behind, he gave a toot on his horn, gave me a fright. My foot slipped on the gravel and over i went. I fell heavily and rolly pollied away from the bike. That slipped a disk in my back and fractured my right wrist.

The driver got out having a chuckle stating that was the funniest thing he'd seen in a longtime and could he help pick up my bike.. In my embarrassment i said nah all good and off he went.

Bad decision, with the combination of back, wrist, hill, gravel and a heavy bike flat on it side i could not budge it!!! I had to wait an hour before the next person came along that i could flag down for help.

Just to rub salt in the wound, do ya think the sod would start after we righted it......... Nah! The ole girl was flooded with fuel that took another half hour of faffing about to get her to fire up.

That'll learn me eh.

Take care eh AM, thanks for sharing
    Ando

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Re: On Getting Older

Thanks, Ando. That event was back in 2007, and I've managed to have worse things happen since then. Fully healed now.
      Being embarrassed doesn't do one good thing for us, so not sure why it's such an automatic response.
      John
      '01 TTR125L, '01 plated WR426, '00 Super Sherpa, '81 KM100, '80 SR500, '78 XS650, '06 DL650, '10 MG V7 Classic, '12 MG Griso 8V SE, '12 VN1700 Nomad
      sigpic-John

Comment

Glad everyone is fully healed up!! Good reminder on hefting a bike up, a few years ago I put a hurting on my wrist as I struggled to keep the bike up, managed to pull it upright but my wrist was messed up for a month.
        Randy - aka racinfan101
        Central IL Chapter 1-39 President
        2024/25 National President

https://www.facebook.com/groups/cent...?ref=bookmarks
        2002 Vulcan Drifter 800, 2010 Vulcan Nomad 1700, 2020 Kawasaki W800. Gone but not forgotten...2008 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2002 Vulcan Drifter 1500.

Comment

You guys need to take a look at Rider Magazine, November 2015. TheGear Lab reviews the Dustriders Motorcycle Hoist. It's just what ops farts like us need to our steeds back on track. See it at advmotorrad.com

Keep Smilin' !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Isn't it amazing how quick something like that can happen? The simplest of things can trick us up.
            Non Chapter Member

Comment

John I would just like to be able to travel all over like you have. That map of yours is almost full.
              2013 Vulcan 1700 Voyager

Comment

hmmm 2016 Year Theme - "Fill The Map"!
                Non Chapter Member

Comment

Had a scary moment yesterday on a group ride.
                  Had a case of target fixation......on the rear tires of a truck stopped where I was going around a corner.

Haven't had that happen in a LOT of years but remembering to "look where you want to go" has been a problem for me occasionally.

"Stuff" can happen at any moment.......especially when you get lax at practicing the stuff that you have historically had a problem with. I need to go out alone for some practice.
                  Thankfully I was at the back of the pack when I pulled that dumb trick; recovered just in time.

Comment

Glad it came out okay. I tend to target fixate and constantly remind myself not to, but as you know when you let your guard down for just a moment it happens.
                    Randy - aka racinfan101
                    Central IL Chapter 1-39 President
                    2024/25 National President

https://www.facebook.com/groups/cent...?ref=bookmarks
                    2002 Vulcan Drifter 800, 2010 Vulcan Nomad 1700, 2020 Kawasaki W800. Gone but not forgotten...2008 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2002 Vulcan Drifter 1500.

Comment

Never thought I would say it but I think I am TOO comfortable on my 900 and let my attention wander a bit too much. A pucker moment tends to bring you back to reality.

Comment

Don't feel bad, I find myself doing that too. I have an hour long commute too and from work and a good portion of it is straight roads. I will get something on my mind and forget i'm driving temporarily sometimes.
                        2013 Vulcan 1700 Voyager

Comment

Working...
                        X