Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TIRES: They will kill you. What to know?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TIRES: They will kill you. What to know?

The purpose and mission statement that has one of its goals as "promoting" and "demonstrated responsible motorcycling" showing up to events or meetings on a bike with bald or tires with the cords showing it is grossly not living up to its goals. When you hold rallies for the association you may want to discuss a position of safety officer for such events. If someone shows up to an event/rally/meeting with a motorcycle grossly out of safety specifications you should consider the enforcement of your by laws in that number 5. "An Executive Committee can suspend or revoke the membership or privileges of any member whose conduct threatens the safety or well being of the chapter or its members or in anyway acts in conflict with the association’s core values and purpose." By allowing an unsafe motorcycle within the association you are allowing and endangering other members.

http://www.bikebandit.com/blog/post/...le-tires-guide
    Last edited by mikesr1963; 07-23-2017, 10:15 AM.
    Riding since 1973.

So are you saying someone showed up at the rally with tires that apparently sent fear through you or you just making a general statement that the rights of others should be infringed because you don't like the looks of their tires ?

Comment

Originally posted by OleSkule View Post
      So are you saying someone showed up at the rally with tires that apparently sent fear through you or you just making a general statement that the rights of others should be infringed because you don't like the looks of their tires ?
      I think anyone showing up for a group ride should have a reasonable expectation that the other participants are riding a motorcycle in safe operating condition. Lets say someone is riding on threadbare tires or with some other equipment issue isn't that also infringing on the rights of others pertaining to their safety?
      Greg *Ghost Rider* Navoy

Comment

There was a member who arrived at the rally with his tire coming apart. In his case the tire was not that old, and looked perfectly fine when he left home, as a matter of fact that member met up with my myself and my chapter mates for most of the trip down. On Sunday before we arrived in Maggie Valley he commented his front end had picked up a wobble that he was going to have to get checked out when we arrived. What he discovered when we did get there is that the rear tire was starting to come apart, and we insisted he leave it parked, and we made arrangements for him to get his stuff to the hotel he was staying at, and the next day the bike was trailered to a local shop and the tire replaced. If there were other members in attendance with worn out tires or some other defect I was not aware of it.
        Randy - aka racinfan101
        Central IL Chapter 1-39 President
        2024/25 National President

https://www.facebook.com/groups/cent...?ref=bookmarks
        2002 Vulcan Drifter 800, 2010 Vulcan Nomad 1700, 2020 Kawasaki W800. Gone but not forgotten...2008 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2002 Vulcan Drifter 1500.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost Rider View Post

I think anyone showing up for a group ride should have a reasonable expectation that the other participants are riding a motorcycle in safe operating condition. Lets say someone is riding on threadbare tires or with some other equipment issue isn't that also infringing on the rights of others pertaining to their safety?
          So what you are saying is that prior to a ride/rally that all members should have their motorcycles inspected and such proof be provided to the other participants prior to any participation in such an event ?

Comment

When did anyone get the right to ride with a group? Participation is purely up to the group leaders, who should also be listening to the group members.
            San Diego Vulcan Riders 1-24
            https://sdvra.com
            • 2002 VN1500P Mean Streak
            • 2006 VN1600B Mean Streak
            • 2013 VN1700J Vaquero

Comment

So what you are saying is that prior to a ride/rally that all members should have their motorcycles inspected and such proof be provided to the other participants prior to any participation in such an event ?
              No...that is not what I am saying. Don't know how my statement can be misconstrued for what you stated. I never mentioned anything about inspections or proof of inspection. What I do think is that all riders should make sure there bikes are in a safe operating condition. Would it be so bad not to allow someone to participate in a group ride if the bike were unsafe? Hard to conceive of anyone disagreeing with that.
              Last edited by Ghost Rider; 07-26-2017, 07:01 PM.
              Greg *Ghost Rider* Navoy

Comment

I'll use simple English. Calling for establishing a safety officer and suspending members rights and memberships because you don't like the looks of their tires is a bunch of crap. Inviting someone to possibly ride hundreds of miles to an event only to be told once they get there that they can't participate would be even more crap. So how exactly would someone go about enforcing such a flagrant rule, and who should be on the committee that decides what is safe. I don't think car tires on motorcycles is safe. Should that be rule number 1 ?

Comment

I'll use simple English. Calling for establishing a safety officer and suspending members rights and memberships because you don't like the looks of their tires is a bunch of crap. Inviting someone to possibly ride hundreds of miles to an event only to be told once they get there that they can't participate would be even more crap. So how exactly would someone go about enforcing such a flagrant rule, and who should be on the committee that decides what is safe. I don't think car tires on motorcycles is safe. Should that be rule number 1 ?
                  I have been to a rally where a participant was told that he could not ride with a group if he were going to drink while riding. The only person who had a problem with that was the rider that insisted on drinking (and not just one beer, but several before the ride started and had more in a cooler on his bike). He got very belligerent, to the point we were expecting him to get violent. He later apologized for his behavior. Do you think that it was unreasonable to bar him from the ride? I don't. What is the difference in telling someone that their bike is a danger to themselves and others and telling someone that their drinking is a danger to themselves and others? As someone else mentioned, what about the rights of the other riders?

A safety officer is not necessary and neither is suspending membership rights, other than barring them from rides until they fix the problem. Unless, of course, the person goes out of control and the organization feels that they must suspend the offending member.

Comment

Seriously ? you cannot tell the difference from stopping a drunk driver or telling a person that you think his bald tires not safe. If you really can't the difference then there is no point discussing it further. Peace.

Comment

Both are situations that put the rider in question and others at risk. If you can't see that then there really is no point is discussing it further.

Comment

Originally posted by Racinfan101 View Post
                        There was a member who arrived at the rally with his tire coming apart. In his case the tire was not that old, and looked perfectly fine when he left home, as a matter of fact that member met up with my myself and my chapter mates for most of the trip down. On Sunday before we arrived in Maggie Valley he commented his front end had picked up a wobble that he was going to have to get checked out when we arrived. What he discovered when we did get there is that the rear tire was starting to come apart, and we insisted he leave it parked, and we made arrangements for him to get his stuff to the hotel he was staying at, and the next day the bike was trailered to a local shop and the tire replaced. If there were other members in attendance with worn out tires or some other defect I was not aware of it.

What he said. We were all there and we all helped this individual... I don't think nor believe anyone that I have associated with thru our many rally's would knowingly let someone ride an unsafe bike. We spend a lot of time at the rally kicking tires and talking and if anything is spotted it is discussed with the rider.....
                        Aloha

Derry ~DaBull~
                        Bullock
                        Former VRA USA National President
                        Former NW Florida Chapter 1-6 President
                        Crestview, Florida
                        2012 Vulcan Voyager 1700
                        (Previous 2005 Vulcan Nomad 1600)

~If you fool with Da Bull...You're gonna get the Horn

Comment

Originally posted by DaBull View Post

What he said. We were all there and we all helped this individual... I don't think nor believe anyone that I have associated with thru our many rally's would knowingly let someone ride an unsafe bike. We spend a lot of time at the rally kicking tires and talking and if anything is spotted it is discussed with the rider.....
                          What they both said. I think the OP is just a trouble maker or just en-experienced with group destination rides. I have been to 3 rally's now and they are always a great time. I have had abnormal wear issues require me to replace a tire at one and I had an ignition problem that everyone chipped in and tried to help me fix at this one. Stuff happens! It doesn't keep anyone from coming back.
                          https://www.facebook.com/groups/269332826577390/

Comment

I have had a conversation with a club member for showing up with a bald tire for a 350 mile ride. His meanie was also experiencing an overheating problem at the time. He even had his daughter on the back of his bike. We were able to convince him to not join us for the ride and later he was able to fix the overheating problem and replace his tire. I believe there should be some expectation the motorcycles to be in good working order when you show up for a club event. It was a simple conversation, and I would have never banned him from participating in any club event. I wasn't the only person who help convince him his bike was unsafe.
                            Brian Bazen
                            President 1-19 NW Ohio
                            https://www.facebook.com/groups/279533638778748/

Comment

Working...
                            X