Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CCW while riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCW while riding

I am just getting back into riding again and have only been on my bike twice (64-miles and 6-mile ride) since I took delivery of it (Vulcan 900 Classic LT). Now I've been (legally) carrying a concealed handgun just about everyday for the past 20-years, 8 of which as a part time LEO. Having experienced multiple instances when some of the violent felons I had to transport or guard recognize me before I recognized them, I prefer to keep carrying a concealed handgun while I ride.

But I am finding it very hard to carry like normal (a semi-auto pistol strong-side IWB) while riding I am considering changing to a revolver carried differently. So I am asking fellow riders who also carry while they ride for how they carry while wearing chaps or riding pants that do not allow for a belt. If you are not comfortable posting a response, please feel free to PM me. Any CONSTRUCTIVE input would be very much appreciated. And yes, I would never carry in jurisdictions that do not allow me to. TIA!!

I carry in my vest or back pocket. Always make sure I can get to it as fast as possible.
    You only live once, so live life like a kid always
    www.facebook.com/groups/missouribootheelvra/
    https://www.facebook.com/tom.taylor....ref=ts&fref=ts
    http://missouribootheel1-58.weebly.com

Comment

If you plan on wearing a vest regularly a lot of them now have a handgun pocket in them that allow you to securely carry your gun while riding.
      Patrick "Hotwheels" Sharon
      President Columbus Vulcan Riders Chapter 1-32
      Columbus, Oh
      National President 2020
      National Vice President 2019
      National Treasurer 2013 - 2015
      VROC Member # 34133
      2014 Vulcan Voyager
      2021 CanAm Spyder F3-Limited

2020 CanAm Spyder F3-Limited
      2009 Vulcan Voyager - Gone
      2002 1500 Mean Streak - Gone
      2007 Vulcan VN2000 Classic LT
      -Gone
      2007 Vulcan VN900 Classic LT - Gone

Columbus Vulcan Riders 1-32 FaceBook group

Comment

For me the number one factor is accessibility. Carrying my S&W 9mm proved problematic due to its size. I resolved the problem by switching to a Bersa Thunder 380 that is easy to carry in a small belt holster or vest pocket.
        If you're traveling just make sure you keep current on States that offer reciprocity, magazine size, allowable ammunition and duty to inform.
        Last edited by Ghost Rider; 12-07-2019, 06:07 PM.
        Greg *Ghost Rider* Navoy

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost Rider View Post
          ...If you're traveling just make sure you keep current on States that offer reciprocity, magazine size, allowable ammunition and duty to inform.
          When I travel I usually research the applicable laws for each jurisdiction I am planning on visiting. A great reference is http://www.handgunlaw.us/ I also print out the state-specific reference and highlight the important details like whether or not there is reciprocity, if it is legal to carry in Rest Areas and restaurants, mandatory to inform, etc.

Comment

I do not carry on my person while riding. There are a couple of reasons for this, 1) It is never comfortable. 2) If you are right handed (& most are), how are you going to control the throttle & a hand gun at the same time. 3) I do not intend to ride down the road on a bike shooting at someone.
            I have found the best method for me is to keep the fire arm in my tour pak, or saddle bag, either of which will allow me access very quickly if needed, after I have stopped and dismounted.

Comment

Hey Bob, where have you been? Good to hear from you my friend.
              You only live once, so live life like a kid always
              www.facebook.com/groups/missouribootheelvra/
              https://www.facebook.com/tom.taylor....ref=ts&fref=ts
              http://missouribootheel1-58.weebly.com

Comment

As several have stated many vests have a gun pocket, and when on occasion I do carry while riding it is usually a Taurus TCP 380 in an ankle holster.
                Randy - aka racinfan101
                Central IL Chapter 1-39 President
                2024/25 National President

https://www.facebook.com/groups/cent...?ref=bookmarks
                2002 Vulcan Drifter 800, 2010 Vulcan Nomad 1700, 2020 Kawasaki W800. Gone but not forgotten...2008 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2002 Vulcan Drifter 1500.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommasaki View Post
                  Hey Bob, where have you been? Good to hear from you my friend.
                  Went out to Kerrville, Tx couple weeks ago to for a "pre rally inspection". Stayed at the YO and had a good time. Actually was looking at homes. Thinking about buying one out there. Otherwise, back here in the Mtns of NC just trying to make a living. Glad you are doing well, and look forward to seeing and riding with you again.

Comment

Originally posted by Mtn Rider View Post
                    ...I do not intend to ride down the road on a bike shooting at someone...
                    LOL!! I wonder how many riders actually consider this as a viable option?

Comment

Being from Kentucky I carry on my hip at at all times and do not care if it shows. But when traveling in other states that have strict policies I carry in the boot or I have a nice shoulder rig that doesn't show under my vest.
                      Darrell Page
                      Bluegrass Vulcan Riders 1-79
                      Chapter President
                      National Secretary

Comment

Here in Washington state it is legal to carry openly but I've not done it. I have a concealed permit and tend to let what I wear dictate the size gun I tote. When riding, I also go smaller caliber with my own Bersa .380 such as Ghost Rider does, or even smaller with an old-style Walther PP in .32 caliber. Both fit nicely in the inner pocket of my vest. I've never felt "weighed down" by any handgun I carry. My .45 ParaOrdnance double-stack semi feels GOOD on my hip and I even carry an additional 13 rd mag and knife on the other side to counter-balance the gun. Feels good to me. But, since the post refers to riding, I go smaller caliber in the vest. And I ALWAYS carry a blade of some sort regardless of where I go. My chaps have some deep pockets but I think the .45 would feel too heavy so low like that and its more of a reach to get whatever gun out so I don't use my chaps to carry.

Comment

Whatever you chose be sure to practice your draw. In a stressful situation we lose fine motor skills and tend to rely on muscle memory. As a former L.E.O. You are well practiced at strong side iwb you will have to break that habit if you go somewhere else like the vest or a shoulder holster.

Comment

Vest pocket or ankle holster if not wearing my vest.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericpj54 View Post
                              Whatever you chose be sure to practice your draw. In a stressful situation we lose fine motor skills and tend to rely on muscle memory. As a former L.E.O. You are well practiced at strong side iwb you will have to break that habit if you go somewhere else like the vest or a shoulder holster.
                              I couldn't agree more. As a current LEO of 25 years, I was taught that when you get a new holster you have to get 100 practice draws from it in before you ever put it into service. Muscle memory is the name of the game.

Comment

Working...
                              X