Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot Weather Riding Survival Tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Weather Riding Survival Tip

HOT WEATHER RIDING SURVIVAL TIP
    Last edited by DaBull; 07-08-2016, 02:58 PM.
    Aloha

Derry ~DaBull~
    Bullock
    Former VRA USA National President
    Former NW Florida Chapter 1-6 President
    Crestview, Florida
    2012 Vulcan Voyager 1700
    (Previous 2005 Vulcan Nomad 1600)

~If you fool with Da Bull...You're gonna get the Horn

Re: Hot Weather Riding Survival Tip

Great info Derry, I hope everyone heeds the warning, Hydrate or Die, as they say in the military!
    Scottyg09900C 2009 Vulcan 900 Custom
    sigpic
    DENVER VULCAN RIDERS

Comment

if you have ever had heatstroke you know it is nothing to mess will. water keeps you hydrated but with the sun comes a loss of electrolites as well as water ----drink Gator aid to replenish it -----you see it on the sports scene all the time. ride safe
      "Hagar"

Comment

This is a great post, I rode into Laughlin NV in 100 degree heat and was as close to heatstroke as I ever want to be it took a full day to get back to normal.
        dan
        Dan Hermans
        Vulcan 1700 Voyager Trike

VROC 23134

Comment

I know it might be considered "un-cool" but I took my new Nomad out for a ride this weekend in the 100+ temps and nearly that high a percent in relative humidity. I chose to wear my cooling (water-soaked) vest under my mesh riding jacket and my mesh Olympia riding pants (with zip off lower legs -- turning them into shorts when off the bike). Along with a couple of bottles of chilled Poland Spring in those cavernous hard bags and I was well prepared for the ride -- and frankly, comfortable. Great safety tip, Derry. Thanks.
          Fred (Doc) Peck

"Who needs a GPS? I never get lost; folks are always telling me where to go!"

Comment

nothing uncool about that, actually its cool that you got out for a great ride dispite the heat!
            Scottyg09900C 2009 Vulcan 900 Custom
            sigpic
            DENVER VULCAN RIDERS

Comment

Put the bare Camelbak bottle into your jacket back armor pocket with the soft pad between you and the bottle, fill bottle with crushed ice, and you have instant core cooling with easily accessible drinking water. Works fine in 95 degree Ohio Summer heat...at least I can ride then.

Comment

I like that one,going to try it.
                "TheBigTaz"

Comment

Now when you see a biker in the summertime you can say. "hey, how's your pee?"

Nice thing about living near a military base is that when you wear gear and reflective vests people just think you are in the military and it is all good. No one thinks you are not cool. Military riders are required to where PPE even during off duty riding. All others only when on Base property.
                  '18 Road Glide Special, '18 Moto Guzzi V7III Carbon, '75 KT250 Trials.

Comment

Well, Addict, I suppose you could inquired about a rider's pee, but unless they've seen this thread, I'm not sure what kind of a response you'd get. Still, it's one more safety lesson we should all take to heart.

I've been impressed with the military's recent response to motorcycle safety generally for both active duty personnel as well as recent discharges -- base safety requirements as well as programs like the Marine Corps "Semper Ride." Battle field casualties are tragic enough without adding biking-related deaths to the toll.
                    Fred (Doc) Peck

"Who needs a GPS? I never get lost; folks are always telling me where to go!"

Comment

Yeah I can't agree more I went for a ride a couple of weeks ago it was about 110 degrees and I thought I was well hydrated and about half way back home I got the worst headache and instead of talking with my wife about the ride I spent the next 2 hours in a dark room with the fan blowing straight in my face.
                      Be careful.
                      Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul.
                      Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window. ~Author Unknown

Comment

like i said before when we sweat we lose electrolites, water alone does not replace.
                        we need drinks like Gator Aid to replenish them. Ride safe
                        "Hagar"

Comment

Originally posted by Deacon Jim View Post
                          like i said before when we sweat we lose electrolites, water alone does not replace.
                          we need drinks like Gator Aid to replenish them. Ride safe
                          I usually get by with water, but us diabetics can get Powerade Zero. WalMart, Walgreens, Target etc carry it. I have not looked in any convenience stores for it yet, but will because these are where most rest stops are.
                          Albie Salsburg (1700 Rider)
                          2009 Vulcan Voyager
                          V&H Slipons
                          Thunder MFG Air Kit
                          "Ivan's Re-Flash"

Comment

Like Albie, water usually suffices for me, however a long day's riding in excessive heat and I feel the need and will usually drink a large bottle of Gator Ade sometimes during the afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by DaBull View Post
                              good post never sucked down so much gator aid in my life. did a big bottle every gas stop.... 2 weeks out west and back....

ggale
                              Glenn Gale, President 1-26

Comment

Working...
                              X