Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Poll] Where do you ride in the lane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Poll] Where do you ride in the lane

I'm just kinda curious what part of the lane you ride in and why?
    I usually ride on the left next to the fog line in clear weather,in rain I move closer to the zipper strip to give the water more room to get out of my way.

Re: [Poll] Where do you ride in the lane

Kind of 50 /50... just try to stay out of pot holes / run the smoothest lane....
    ggale VP 1-26
    Glenn Gale, President 1-26

Comment

By myself it depends on road conditions, but prefer to stay left. Riding in a group I prefer the left. Left gives me a better view of driveways and intersections.
      Albie Salsburg (1700 Rider)
      2009 Vulcan Voyager
      V&H Slipons
      Thunder MFG Air Kit
      "Ivan's Re-Flash"

Comment

I use both, all day long, back and forth. Keeps me active and more visible. I never ride in the center if I can help it, and pulling up to lights I'm always left so I don't put my foot down in the middle oil patches.
        mikewithabike
        Listen to my music HERE
        VROC #29972
        Killing bugs... one at a time
        2012 Vulcan Nomad 1700 - Mine 09/13
        http://www.reverbnation.com/mikehaley

Comment

Generally left side... As drivers are more distracted and texting...leading to them drifting into my lane... I find myself moving right as I pass by oncoming traffic and then drift back to the left side....
          Aloha

Derry ~DaBull~
          Bullock
          Former VRA USA National President
          Former NW Florida Chapter 1-6 President
          Crestview, Florida
          2012 Vulcan Voyager 1700
          (Previous 2005 Vulcan Nomad 1600)

~If you fool with Da Bull...You're gonna get the Horn

Comment

I prefer the left lane, I like being able to see more of the road, and just feel more comfortable there. if riding in a group, doesn't matter.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Comment

When riding on my own I'll typically ride in the left half of the lane. Visibility is better there. On a multi lane road, depending on the lane I'm in I'll choose the side of the lane away from the other lane. Gives you just a bit more latitude if the dirver in the other lane changes without looking. What I like the least is the center lane on a 3 lane road. You've got blind spots to worry about on both sides of you.
              Old Crow (Bob)
              Lexington, KY
              1960 Vespa 150
              1964 Bridgestone 175
              1972 Suzuki GT380
              2005 1600 Classic
              2010 Nomad 1700
              2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S
              Past Kentucky Chapter President
              National Vice President 2012

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"Map.jpg","src":"http:\/\/vulcanriders.us\/forum\/filedata\/fetch?filedataid=6849&type=full"**[/IMG2]

Comment

Depends . . .

In town, I ride in the left track mostly. I always give lots of room behind the vehicle in front at a red light and leave myself room to go between vehicles in case an idiot behind me tries to make me a 'sandwich' (me between two cars).

On the freeways in town I love the HOV lane and stay in the right track (furthest from the wall, but won't give cages enough lane to move into mine). I too dislike the center lane. When riding behind cages in freeway traffic, I always pick a tire track to stay in as the cage in front of me may straddle an object in the road (tire, glass, etc) and not need to move. If I am in the center of my lane, I will be in danger of hitting said straddled object!

On the highway solo, I use the entire lane. If I have vehicles in front of me, I will ride in the left track.

When it rains in the Phoenix area, I usually ride in the center of the lane, as the normal 'tracks' gather water and the high spot is the center of the lane. BTW the drivers in Phoenix are the worst when it rains!
                Bryan (Big B)
                Chapter President
                Phoenix Vulcan Riders 1-15

sigpic
                07 Vulcan 900 Custom
                12 Vulcan Vaquero
                http://phoenixvulcanriders.org

Comment

Ride on the left better visability and vision....
                  2013 Voyager "Ivory"
                  2003 Nomad FI (gone)
                  1996 Vulcan 1500 se 88 (gone)
                  VROC#26618.
                  ROK #ROK100029773
                  Former VRA National Store Manager
                  Former VRA Secretary
                  Chapter 1-70 President
                  Brooklyn,Mi
                  https://www.facebook.com/groups/GLVRA
                  information.glvra@gmail.com
                  COME ON LETS RIDE !

Comment

I ride where I am safest, more visible, and have better visibility.

I guess that means I use the entire road.

I start right curves from near the yellow line so I can see further through the turn and end them near the white line. Opposite for left curves.

I ride near the yellow line and move to the right as I pass oncoming traffic.

Stop left side of the lane near the center with the bike pointed so I can easily move up beside the vehicle in front of me if needed.

Etc.
                    '18 Road Glide Special, '18 Moto Guzzi V7III Carbon, '75 KT250 Trials.

Comment

Generally I hang out in the left side tire stripe. Never in the middle except for those spots where I know there are holes on both sides. I tend to drift right when I pass and hug the drivers door, always make sure I don't hang in the blind spot.
                      2009 Vulcan VN900B Classic - Candy Plasma Blue

Comment

It depends on if I'am riding alone or with some one else, I had an old rider tell me many years ago that he always ride to the left when riding with a friend and I asked the reason behind that and he said that death comes from the left, I kind of understode that to a point, so when I ride with the wife I always stay to her left and now its just kind of a habit. I've talked to alot of riders that are afaid of that left lane but I like it because I can see more.
                        Every day is a holiday when you love your job,And if you don't you must live in a nightmare.

Comment

I ride both, I ride left for a while and then right for a while, keeps the tire from wearing on one side. I do perfer the left as I can see what traffic is doing better... Safe ride everyone...
                          sigpic "Ride Hard, Ride Often But Always Ride Safe"

Comment

I Ride Lane 3, on the left next to the yellow lines I feel its better visability and vision & more room to react to someone coming into my lane... ....
                            Let's ride...
                            '03 1500 Mean Streak
                            My name is Steammaker & I'm addicted to modifying my Mean Streak..

Comment

Originally posted by twowheeladdict View Post
                              I ride where I am safest, more visible, and have better visibility.

I guess that means I use the entire road.

I start right curves from near the yellow line so I can see further through the turn and end them near the white line. Opposite for left curves.

I ride near the yellow line and move to the right as I pass oncoming traffic.

Stop left side of the lane near the center with the bike pointed so I can easily move up beside the vehicle in front of me if needed.

Etc.

Couldn't have said it better.
                              Fish
                              Experience: That most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.

Comment

Working...
                              X