Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Number One Motorcycle Survival Skill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Number One Motorcycle Survival Skill

The NUMBER ONE motorcycle survival skill is HARD BRAKING – also known as “panic” braking, or “emergency” braking.

HARD BRAKING is applied during those infrequent times when you need to INSTANTLY exert FULL BRAKING FORCE – without losing traction and/or losing control of your bike.

Typically, this is because something or someone just became positioned right in your path at the last second.

HARD BRAKING is the strongest possible braking force you can apply to avoid a collision - with the vital and additional point of “not” losing traction or losing control of your bike.

When such an occasion occurs that your very survival is at stake, will you be able to immediately apply full-force braking pressure, without hitting your brakes so hard that you lose control of your bike?

If you cannot confidently answer “Yes” to that question, the remedy is simple: you need to PRACTICE HARD BRAKING right away! (And then practice again and again).

When faced with a sudden potential motorcycle mishap, a common rider reaction is to slam so hard on the brakes, that one, or both tires lock up and skid.

Locked up tires result in lost traction – and a longer stopping distance – presuming, of course, that the rider is still in control of the bike while the tires are locked! (That’s actually “not” a likely presumption, since many riders “will” lose control of their bike when they lock up a tire and lose traction).

YOU should practice emergency braking from time to time in an empty parking lot or some other location without traffic. And keep practicing!!

Another point to consider for those riders who are not always solo: You should also practice hard braking with a passenger! Not only does the increased weight cause the bike to handle differently, but how will you react during an emergency with a passenger slamming into your back during a hard braking situation?

PRACTICE emergency braking with and without a passenger to develop your rider survival skills!

If you are a sport-touring rider, an adventure-touring rider, a cruiser-tourer, luxury tourer, or any rider who loads your bike for a long-distance ride, you should also PRACTICE HARD BRAKING with your bike fully loaded. Not only is this a good way to develop your braking skill with the exact load you are riding with, such practice braking is a good way to test your load security. Better to learn that your improperly secured sleeping bag will come flying forward in a panic stop, while you are practicing, then under the duress of a real road threat.

Keep in mind that if you are continually in the habit of applying “normal” braking pressure under “normal” riding circumstances, how do you think YOU will react in an emergency?

Oh! And if you happen to have an Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) integrated on your bike does that mean all of this is unnecessary? In brief, there is no substitute for improving your rider experience, but ABS does have some compelling advantages.

Only by PRACTICING HARD BRAKING, over and over and over again, will you create the proper reaction habit for the time when you may most need it….
    Aloha

Derry ~DaBull~
    Bullock
    Former VRA USA National President
    Former NW Florida Chapter 1-6 President
    Crestview, Florida
    2012 Vulcan Voyager 1700
    (Previous 2005 Vulcan Nomad 1600)

~If you fool with Da Bull...You're gonna get the Horn

Re: Number One Motorcycle Survival Skill

Very good information D, It is a good reminder for everyone to go out and do some practicing before the riding season takes off. Thank you for the post.

Comment

Very true. Even if you ride (or drive, or bicycle, or golf...) every day, you still need practice to be ready for the edge cases that you don't see every day. This reminds me that I haven't been to my favorite vacant parking lot in a couple of months. I need to get back there.
      San Diego Vulcan Riders 1-24
      https://sdvra.com
      • 2002 VN1500P Mean Streak
      • 2006 VN1600B Mean Streak
      • 2013 VN1700J Vaquero

Comment

...and if your back tire does start skidding, your rear tire will act like it wants to move around to the front. The natural reaction is to release the rear brake. This will cause the rear tire to grab suddenly forcing the back end to snap back towards the direction of travel which can result in the rider being thrown from the bike. This is called "high siding" and can be very dangerous. If the rear end locks up and slides far enough sideways that it could high side when releasing the brake, it is recommended to keep the brake engaged and continue the slide, even if it means allowing the bike to fall on it's side while in motion.

I've yet to find a good video of someone high-siding. If you do, please share.

Great post Derry. Regularly practicing panic stops is the most important thing a rider can do to be safe IMO.
        John Featherlin
        Webmaster vulcanriders.us 2007-2016
        International Chapter Coordinator 2009-2016
        Forum Admin 2007-2016
        USA Chapter Coordinator 2007-2016
        National President 2007-2010
        National Vice President 2006
        National Secretary 2011-2012

Comment

Here's a link to a street highside crash posted on YouTube. It shows it twice, and in the slo-mo sequence you can clearly see the tire slide, and what happens as the rider reduces braking and the tire bites.

Ouch. Ouch. Ouch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlMbFlPzS24
          Old Crow (Bob)
          Lexington, KY
          1960 Vespa 150
          1964 Bridgestone 175
          1972 Suzuki GT380
          2005 1600 Classic
          2010 Nomad 1700
          2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S
          Past Kentucky Chapter President
          National Vice President 2012

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"Map.jpg","src":"http:\/\/vulcanriders.us\/forum\/filedata\/fetch?filedataid=6849&type=full"**[/IMG2]

Comment

Good find Bob! It looks like there are several on Youtube now...

John Featherlin
            Webmaster vulcanriders.us 2007-2016
            International Chapter Coordinator 2009-2016
            Forum Admin 2007-2016
            USA Chapter Coordinator 2007-2016
            National President 2007-2010
            National Vice President 2006
            National Secretary 2011-2012

Comment

Good Post!
              Randy - aka racinfan101
              Central IL Chapter 1-39 President
              2024/25 National President

https://www.facebook.com/groups/cent...?ref=bookmarks
              2002 Vulcan Drifter 800, 2010 Vulcan Nomad 1700, 2020 Kawasaki W800. Gone but not forgotten...2008 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2002 Vulcan Drifter 1500.

Comment

thanks for the reminder... One good thing about 6 ins of rubber grabbing is I can not lock up my rear CT. it just will not let the brake lock.... slows down REAL FAST. - - straight !! had a couple of "O Craps!!" happen so far... just too much rear tire grip to slid... A Plus for a CT on a V2... and my 2 cents.
                Glenn Gale, President 1-26

Comment

A friend of mine did a slow speed high side last Friday during rush hour. Traffic stopped suddenly but he needed about another inch. Didn't leave a mark on the cage bumper but his FZ1 has a lot of cosmetic damage and a missing brake lever.

ggale, that's what I thought about my Avon 230. I thought I couldn't lock it up with the huge contact patch - but it WILL lockup and make you pucker.
                  Bob Howley "ICE CUBE"
                  2007 VN900 CUSTOM
                  2020 1700 VOYAGER

Comment

A 230 is bigger but the contact patch is not that much bigger than a 200 [wife had a 230 rear still ran the 2 in center out 1st] it,s still a round bike tire, compaierd to a all flat car tire. [more contact surafce]
                    Now some one may come along and tell me I am wrong about the 230 so this is my 2 cents on this.
                    Glenn Gale, President 1-26

Comment

Originally posted by Old Crow View Post
                      Here's a link to a street highside crash posted on YouTube. It shows it twice, and in the slo-mo sequence you can clearly see the tire slide, and what happens as the rider reduces braking and the tire bites.

Ouch. Ouch. Ouch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlMbFlPzS24
                      Actually I believe that was loss of traction during acceleration and backing off the throttle abruptly caused the high side - same result as a braking scenario. Could be cold tires or new tires or road condition - idk
                      Craig
                      Associate Member
                      PA 1-52 - South Central PA VRA
                      GL1800

Comment

rally bump.....................
                        Aloha

Derry ~DaBull~
                        Bullock
                        Crestview, Florida
                        2012 Vulcan Voyager 1700

Comment

good reminder thanks gent's
                          "Hagar"

Comment

last week a biker was killed early one morning before day light due to the fact his brake and tail light was not working. a woman hit him from the rear doing 70 mph. think it is a good idea to check them each trip.

Comment

I dont do it all the time....but I dont ride at night much....but i do blinker checks and high beam checks as well as brakelight checks.....want to make sure what you just said has the least chance as possible to happen to me....
                              Aloha

Derry ~DaBull~
                              Bullock
                              Crestview, Florida
                              2012 Vulcan Voyager 1700

Comment

Working...
                              X