Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Number One Motorcycle Survival Skill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Number One Motorcycle Survival Skill

Yep, check mine at least once a week.
    Fish
    Experience: That most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice . We should probably make it a Chapter outing in the beguining of the ridding season to practice before we start group rides.
      Bill "TSfan14" Fliehr
      Apple Valley, MN
      2007 1600 Nomad

Comment

Excellent counsel! I might add some advice that I got from an old Trooper, that one should, whenever possible, try to remain in one's own right-of-way. When a motorist realizes that they are in the wrong (often in the midst of the event) it is difficult to predict what action they will take. One should leave one's right-of-way only if a superior way out presents itself. When driving an auto I will attempt to brake to reduce the force of the impact and stay in my own right-of-way. On a bike, I will do whatever I have to do to survive, but the basic intent of the advice would seem to be valid.
        Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day; set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
        - Alaska Al

sigpic

Comment

great information, thanks for posting / sharing.
          Non Chapter Member

Comment

Originally posted by Craig View Post
            Actually I believe that was loss of traction during acceleration and backing off the throttle abruptly caused the high side - same result as a braking scenario. Could be cold tires or new tires or road condition - idk
            you're probable correct, he never touched the front brake, so unless he only hit the rear, his crash was a result of the grab when he let off the throttle..... I, as well don't see why the tire let loose, doesn't appear he did anything wrong....

Comment

Originally posted by DaBull View Post
              The NUMBER ONE motorcycle survival skill is HARD BRAKING – also known as “panic” braking, or “emergency” braking.

HARD BRAKING is applied during those infrequent times when you need to INSTANTLY exert FULL BRAKING FORCE – without losing traction and/or losing control of your bike.

Typically, this is because something or someone just became positioned right in your path at the last second.

HARD BRAKING is the strongest possible braking force you can apply to avoid a collision - with the vital and additional point of “not” losing traction or losing control of your bike.

When such an occasion occurs that your very survival is at stake, will you be able to immediately apply full-force braking pressure, without hitting your brakes so hard that you lose control of your bike?

If you cannot confidently answer “Yes” to that question, the remedy is simple: you need to PRACTICE HARD BRAKING right away! (And then practice again and again).

When faced with a sudden potential motorcycle mishap, a common rider reaction is to slam so hard on the brakes, that one, or both tires lock up and skid.

Locked up tires result in lost traction – and a longer stopping distance – presuming, of course, that the rider is still in control of the bike while the tires are locked! (That’s actually “not” a likely presumption, since many riders “will” lose control of their bike when they lock up a tire and lose traction).

YOU should practice emergency braking from time to time in an empty parking lot or some other location without traffic. And keep practicing!!

Another point to consider for those riders who are not always solo: You should also practice hard braking with a passenger! Not only does the increased weight cause the bike to handle differently, but how will you react during an emergency with a passenger slamming into your back during a hard braking situation?

PRACTICE emergency braking with and without a passenger to develop your rider survival skills!

If you are a sport-touring rider, an adventure-touring rider, a cruiser-tourer, luxury tourer, or any rider who loads your bike for a long-distance ride, you should also PRACTICE HARD BRAKING with your bike fully loaded. Not only is this a good way to develop your braking skill with the exact load you are riding with, such practice braking is a good way to test your load security. Better to learn that your improperly secured sleeping bag will come flying forward in a panic stop, while you are practicing, then under the duress of a real road threat.

Keep in mind that if you are continually in the habit of applying “normal” braking pressure under “normal” riding circumstances, how do you think YOU will react in an emergency?

Oh! And if you happen to have an Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) integrated on your bike does that mean all of this is unnecessary? In brief, there is no substitute for improving your rider experience, but ABS does have some compelling advantages.

Only by PRACTICING HARD BRAKING, over and over and over again, will you create the proper reaction habit for the time when you may most need it….
              We need a "LIKE" button on here..
              Let's ride...
              '03 1500 Mean Streak
              My name is Steammaker & I'm addicted to modifying my Mean Streak..

Comment

Working...
              X