Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tar Snakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tar Snakes

Tar Snakes That Crack Sealant Snaking All Over the Road is Slicker Than You Think

By David L. Hough

You're headed for the big motorcycle rally I several states away. You rarely have time off to do much traveling by motorcycle, so on this trip you've been exploring the state highways and scenic roads as much as possible. Today, the weather is warm and dry. Traffic is sparse on the old highway you're following, and the curves are predictable, allowing you to enjoy an
    aggressive pace. You're curious but not concerned when you come upon a section of road covered in strange squiggles and lines. The lines appear to be some sort of sealant recently slathered over surface cracks in the asphalt.

Suddenly, as you're leaning into a sweeping right-hander, your rear tire steps sideways. Before you can do anything, the bike slams on its side, and instantly you're bouncing and sliding straight ahead, across the centerline. Fortunately, a car coming the other way sees your crash, and is able to stop without hitting you.

A lot of motorcyclists don't realize that some crack sealants are much more slippery than the surrounding asphalt, especially when fresh. If possible you should avoid running over such "tar snakes," especially when leaning into a turn. In this situation, the slippery tar was applied in wide strips all over the surface, which makes it impractical for you to avoid crossing them. When you observe such shiny-looking tar snakes ahead of you, reduce your speed to reduce your traction demands, the same as you would on a rain-slick road or for loose gravel.
    Bob Howley "ICE CUBE"
    2007 VN900 CUSTOM
    2020 1700 VOYAGER

Good advice

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
    Don Myers
    Springfield Mo

Comment

Re: Tar Snakes

they use that crap up her in MI all over... they should add some type of sand? other grip agent.... had a BIG BUTT PUCKER on some of that stuff a week ago. Thank you Avon for a great tire that grips well as soon at it hits good road... [middle of a curve -- zip-- front sides side ways--- tar snake -- then back to normal-- all in a fraction of a sec.] and it,s not even real hot yet.. makes them worst... RIDE SAFE ALL...
      Glenn Gale, President 1-26

Comment

The same warnings apply to fresh asphalt. In the southern regions it can soften in only a couple of hours of hot sun. Watch out for fresh roads with only temporary center markings.
        sigpic

Comment

Living in the desert we don't always associate bridges with water and are also well aware that asphalt has a liquid state (put a crushed beer can under kick stand in summer). Tar Snakes are a problem everywhere and are always made more dangerous at the temp rises. Most road departments don't realize (or don't care) that tar patch is a real problem for a bike especially in big quantities. If you start to see some of it, assume there will be more and reduce your speed until you can be sure the coast is clear! Ride Safe.
          Sam B
          Vegas Vulcan Riders (1-42)

Comment

Good timing. I'd never heard the term before, but my wife's ex went down recently on the freeway. He's ok; pretty mild injuries, considering. But I'm on the lookout for them now.
            San Diego Vulcan Riders 1-24
            https://sdvra.com
            • 2002 VN1500P Mean Streak
            • 2006 VN1600B Mean Streak
            • 2013 VN1700J Vaquero

Comment

I went on ride to lower PA on Sunday and came upon a mess of tar snakes on one road. Unavoidably I soon found my front wheel sliding out from under me on a gradual turn at 45mph - PUCKER time. My buddy riding in the lead was watching my slide in his mirror and expected me to hit the ground. Just went I was prepared to get some road rash I got some clean asphalt and the bike snapped upright. Temp was only about 74F but the wide patch job was still slick.
              Bob Howley "ICE CUBE"
              2007 VN900 CUSTOM
              2020 1700 VOYAGER

Comment

They are also hazardous when wet. We hateses tar snakeses. They usually have a line parallel to our direction of travel in the area where car wheels would normally be but occasionally wiggle them around forcing us to do a little dance to avoid them. DOT are apparently motorcycle sadists.

Comment

Thankfully we don't see that to much around here anyone
                  But some of the back roads they spray oil down and through gravel on top of it.
                  Ugh!! What a mess

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
                  Don Myers
                  Springfield Mo

Comment

We have road snakes and they have oiled and stoned several roads around here in the last couple of weeks. I haven't been bit by the snakes yet, but the stone on the oil is loose and dangerous for a while until they sweep the excess off.
                    Albie Salsburg (1700 Rider)
                    2009 Vulcan Voyager
                    V&H Slipons
                    Thunder MFG Air Kit
                    "Ivan's Re-Flash"

Comment

I rode on a wet road last year, and until that day, never noticed it had tar snakes on it. When wet, it felt as though a midget was running beside me kicking the bike at random intervals. Quite scary at speed......

Comment

Originally posted by Redneckryder View Post
                        , it felt as though a midget was running beside me kicking the bike at random intervals. Quite scary at speed......
                        Thats funny!! I thought of this post on my ride yesterday Baitis ran through my mind as several nests of those snakes appeared.I had made a mentall note of this post,I second the "Midget kicking the bike"...

Comment

Working...
                        X