Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nitogen or Air in Your Tires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nitogen or Air in Your Tires?

You be the judge....

THE CONTROVERSY OVER NITROGEN-FILLED MOTORCYCLE TIRES

Does nitrogen help the performance of our motorcycle tires? Or is at unnecessary expense?
    Filling motorcycle tires with nitrogen (instead of air) has been a controversial subject for a number of years now with members of various motorcycle forums touting either its benefits, or conversely, the view that its apparent value is not worth paying anything at all, compared to readily available free air (which contains 78% nitrogen).
    In the February 2009 issue of Rider Magazine, Chris Sidah (“Tech Q&A”) has this to say in reference to the promoted advantages of nitrogen:
    “A 100 percent nitrogen-filled tire will do all the things they claim compared to a flat tire. I suggest you regularly use the 78 percent nitrogen mixture that’s available for free to keep your bike’s tires properly inflated. I don’t think we need to get into the size differences of N2 and O2 molecules, or the concepts of Boyles Law here. Suffice it to say, in some instances nitrogen – which is an inert gas – is a better way to fill a tire. Those instances occur on the racetrack, in airline tires and some military applications. For normal day-to-day circumstances, it’s just not worth the hassle. “
    For some additional insights into the issue, here is a link that is for a motorcycle dealer’s perspective from powersportbusiness.com

More can be found here: http://motorcycle-intelligence.com/nitrogen-tires/529/
    Aloha

Derry ~DaBull~
    Bullock
    Former VRA USA National President
    Former NW Florida Chapter 1-6 President
    Crestview, Florida
    2012 Vulcan Voyager 1700
    (Previous 2005 Vulcan Nomad 1600)

~If you fool with Da Bull...You're gonna get the Horn

Re: Nitogen or Air in Your Tires?

The process of extracting the Nitrogen from air also removes humidity. It is the humidity that expands and contracts with temperature changes in our tires and it is humidity that causes steel wheels to rust.

If you can remove the humidity when using a compressor to add air to your tires you are ahead of the game. Multiple filters between your air tank and your air hose can help reduce the amount of humidity you put into your tires. It is a challenge for those of us that live in the humid southeast.
    '18 Road Glide Special, '18 Moto Guzzi V7III Carbon, '75 KT250 Trials.

Comment

You are certainly correct that the humidity in the air can and will cause deterioration in steel wheels.

Nitrogen, air and water vapor each will expand and contract with temperature changes, and each will expand and contract in exactly the same proportions, depending upon the relative temperature change in degrees Kelvin. IOW, the for a given change in temperature the pressure in a tire filled with pure nitrogen, ordinary dry air, or air with some water vapor will change the same.

If the morning temp in your garage is 50F, and the afternoon temp is 80F you may see a pound or two change in pressure. Doesn't matter whether it's pure nitrogen, dry air or moist air.

Bob
      Old Crow (Bob)
      Lexington, KY
      1960 Vespa 150
      1964 Bridgestone 175
      1972 Suzuki GT380
      2005 1600 Classic
      2010 Nomad 1700
      2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S
      Past Kentucky Chapter President
      National Vice President 2012

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"Map.jpg","src":"http:\/\/vulcanriders.us\/forum\/filedata\/fetch?filedataid=6849&type=full"**[/IMG2]

Comment

This is from a MSN news sight under a title 5 things your car does not need. I would not waste the money.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/slide...ntid=1145479#3
        Albie Salsburg (1700 Rider)
        2009 Vulcan Voyager
        V&H Slipons
        Thunder MFG Air Kit
        "Ivan's Re-Flash"

Comment

I used nitrogen in my rear tire ob my dragbike and never really noticed any difference
          I used it mostly because it held dry air and the tank held 1,500 # of pressure, used with a regulator it gave me 180# for my airshifter,
          the tank was small and fit nicely on my starter cart.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
          Don Myers
          Springfield Mo

Comment

Working...
          X