Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello From Houston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello From Houston

Hello Everyone,
    Well, my wife and I have been wanting to get back into riding for a while, and yesterday we bought a 1998 Vulcan 500 to get us started.
    It seems like a good choice, plenty of bike for me and not too intimidating for her. If plans work out, I will later get a 700 or similar and she will keep the 500.

The bike looks to be in good shape, but has a bit of rust and will need a little TLC. I hope you all don't get tired of me asking 'newb' questions.

Also, I posted in the "start a chapter" section, as we would like to start a chapter either in Spring or Houston...

Thanks!

Rod

Re: Hello From Houston

Hey SpringVulcan. Welcome to the forum!

The 500 is a great bike to get back into riding. That detuned ninja motor really gets up and goes, too.

When you go to look for a bike later, consider the 800 Classic. You can pick up a used one fully loaded in great shape for around $4000.

How tall is your girlfriend? If she's short in the legs and doesn't feel comfortable on any of the Vulcans because of height/weight, tell her to check out the Honda Aero 750. My girlfriend is 5'1" w/ a 22" inseam and she can flat foot it no problem. Plus, it feels like it weighs about 4 ounces. It's a really sharp looking bike and to the casual observer, looks like one of the big bore cruisers. I wish Kawasaki made something with that low of seat height.

John Featherlin
    Webmaster vulcanriders.us 2007-2016
    International Chapter Coordinator 2009-2016
    Forum Admin 2007-2016
    USA Chapter Coordinator 2007-2016
    National President 2007-2010
    National Vice President 2006
    National Secretary 2011-2012

Comment

Hey SpringVulcan,

Welcome to the group...glad to have you and your wife aboard

If you're interested in starting a Chapter, click this link Start a Chapter and it should get you started...that page contains a LOT of info including how to search for other riders, having a chapter sub-area on the National Forum or getting a yahoo chapter page, and what it takes to put it all together! PLUS theres a ton of FREE help on the boards from alot of folks willing to help

Again, welcome to the group
      Aloha

Derry ~DaBull~
      Bullock
      Former VRA USA National President
      Former NW Florida Chapter 1-6 President
      Crestview, Florida
      2012 Vulcan Voyager 1700
      (Previous 2005 Vulcan Nomad 1600)

~If you fool with Da Bull...You're gonna get the Horn

Comment

Thanks for the welcome. I have read the "Start a Chapter" list, and have posted my intention in the forum as it stated. Bit by bit, I will work through the rest.
        I am a bit surprised that there is no Houston chapter already, but it should not be hard to come up with the necessary people.

My wife, Wendy, is about 5'3. She grew up riding dirt bikes back in Louisiana.
        We checked out a few 750's but they seemed a bit much. She was really happy with the feel of the 500. So for now, the plan is to get both of us comfortable on a bike again, then look for a 700-850 for me.

We pick up the 500 tomorrow. I cannot wait to get started!!.
        Is there a link or a 'how to' on cleaning and maintenance for a new 'used' bike?

Thanks again,
        Rod

Comment

Welcome to the VRA enjoy the forum.
          Dan
          Dan Hermans
          Vulcan 1700 Voyager Trike

VROC 23134

Comment

Originally posted by SpringVulcan View Post
            Thanks for the welcome. I have read the "Start a Chapter" list, and have posted my intention in the forum as it stated. Bit by bit, I will work through the rest.
            I am a bit surprised that there is no Houston chapter already, but it should not be hard to come up with the necessary people.

My wife, Wendy, is about 5'3. She grew up riding dirt bikes back in Louisiana.
            We checked out a few 750's but they seemed a bit much. She was really happy with the feel of the 500. So for now, the plan is to get both of us comfortable on a bike again, then look for a 700-850 for me.

We pick up the 500 tomorrow. I cannot wait to get started!!.
            Is there a link or a 'how to' on cleaning and maintenance for a new 'used' bike?

Thanks again,
            Rod

nice...stay with it bro...holler if you need any help
            Aloha

Derry ~DaBull~
            Bullock
            Former VRA USA National President
            Former NW Florida Chapter 1-6 President
            Crestview, Florida
            2012 Vulcan Voyager 1700
            (Previous 2005 Vulcan Nomad 1600)

~If you fool with Da Bull...You're gonna get the Horn

Comment

Hello Springvulcan. I too am new here but would like to welcome you. So far EVERYONE here has been very receptive and very helpful. I ask questions and they help. It's that simple and no one has treated me dumb. This is a great site. I hope you enjoy it as much as I am so far.

Comment

SpringVulcan, I don't know anything about the Vulcan 500, but most things to check and maintenance is about the same, regardless of which model Vulcan. There are a lot of people here with experience, so feel free to ask any questions.

At http://www.kawasaki.com/Home/Home.aspx , you can see a parts diagram and order an "Owners Manual" and a technical manual if you wish.

Comment

Originally posted by Fly View Post
                  SpringVulcan, I don't know anything about the Vulcan 500, but most things to check and maintenance is about the same, regardless of which model Vulcan. There are a lot of people here with experience, so feel free to ask any questions.

At http://www.kawasaki.com/Home/Home.aspx , you can see a parts diagram and order an "Owners Manual" and a technical manual if you wish.
                  Thanks! I have bookmarked that site.
                  I am already learning about my bike, trying to do maintenance that the previous owner did not do, or was not sure if it had been done...such as changing the oil and lubing the chain.

I am trying to spread out my newbie questions so as not to annoy too many people at once.

Rod

Comment

Welcome Rod, Asked All The Questions You Like You Want Annoy Anyone I Think All Of Us Are Learning New Things All The Time From The Newbies To The Guys That Have Been Riding For Years. I Have A 1995 Vulcan 750 I Have Had It About A Year And Enjoying It Everyday. Ride Safe Lonnie

Comment

Working...
                    X