Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Annapolis Maryland newb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annapolis Maryland newb

Just got a 1995 VN800A that is completely stock.
    It came with a set spare set of glass pack pipes.
    Those might go on soon to replace the stock pipes.
    Rode dirt from about 11 years old through HS, starting on a Yamaha 100 Enduro, then a Suzuki 250 Enduro type for HS.
    College was a Kawasaki 400 Tripple.
    Then occasional rides on a variety of "BOAT BIKES".
    One accident with a reckless speeder in England in '85. Mashed ankle, minor dents to 250cc. Crashing in the dirt as a kid.... countless...
    Back in the saddle, just got my MD motorcycle license today. (funny I never had a M license before...)
    I'll be riding to work in temps down to 35 deg.F.
    Just sayin Hi.

Pete

Re: Annapolis Maryland newb

Welcome Pete, enjoy the group. The 800A is a good bike and should last you for many miles. Not much protection against the cold, hope you have a windshield, some lowers should help with the cold wind.

Comment

Pete, welcome to the forum. I had an 800 classic and I can assure you that the bike, if well maintained, will get you plenty of miles of fun. If you get the chance check out the Maryland chapter on this forum. Some good folks there that will be happy to get you into the fold.
      Only a biker understands why a dog hangs its head out of the car window!

VRA membership is free! Pass the word! Have all the say as before but at no cost! What a great plan.

Comment

Pete, welcome to the forum. I own an 800A, too and I LOVE it!

Read my post below on a cheap way to "add a 6th gear" to your bike...
        http://vulcanriders.us/forum/showthr...5329#post15329
        John Featherlin
        Webmaster vulcanriders.us 2007-2016
        International Chapter Coordinator 2009-2016
        Forum Admin 2007-2016
        USA Chapter Coordinator 2007-2016
        National President 2007-2010
        National Vice President 2006
        National Secretary 2011-2012

Comment

Originally posted by Slicks View Post
          Pete, welcome to the forum. I own an 800A, too and I LOVE it!

Read my post below on a cheap way to "add a 6th gear" to your bike...
          http://vulcanriders.us/forum/showthr...5329#post15329
          Hey Slicks,
          Changing the sprocket will be too easy.
          Even though my bike is a 1995, it looks mint. Garage kept with only a few tell tale signs of age.
          With winter coming on I'll be checking up with other 800's with more time to read & tinker.
          Who knows, I might mod this to a bobbler.
          Thanks all...
          Pete

Comment

Welcome to the group Pete Glad to have you aboard!
            Aloha

Derry ~DaBull~
            Bullock
            Former VRA USA National President
            Former NW Florida Chapter 1-6 President
            Crestview, Florida
            2012 Vulcan Voyager 1700
            (Previous 2005 Vulcan Nomad 1600)

~If you fool with Da Bull...You're gonna get the Horn

Comment

Welcome to the forum. I live in Berwyn Heights (College Park) and the MdVRA Chapter has members in Central MD from the PA border south to Accokeek and from western Howard County to Kent Island. Check out our website at http://www.mdvulcanriders.org as well as our Yahoo Group.
              Mike Kelley
              2006 Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak, 1999 Vulcan 1500 Drifter, 1993 Suzuki Intruder 800

Comment

Welcome Pete, Annapolis... my hometown. Hardly get back anymore but some great places to ride out there. Would love to take a run over to St Michaels or out to O.C. for some real seafood and great scenery.
                "Jeff"
                Temple, TX
                Vulcan 900 Classic
                Central Texas Vulcan Riders 1-13

Comment

Welcome , I also own a VN800A its a 1998.I am new to this group and I read it daily.There are alot of helpful and friendly people here who will help with any problems or give good feedback on ideas. I am also from a cold climate (MN) so I look at the temp every morning and dressing warmer, as long as there isn't any snow Im riding to work. Enjoy the forum it should help pass away the winter.
                  Bill "TSfan14" Fliehr
                  Apple Valley, MN
                  2007 1600 Nomad

Comment

So far I've rode to work daily. Mornings with temps in the 40's, lunch ride in the 50's & 60's then home in the low 50's. No too chilly with the Mossi gear I'm wearing. I'm sure I'll be pushing my temp limit as time goes. Tomorrow no ride as the winds are predicted to be 30+ knots. But Saturday & Sunday will be good.
                    I'll be putting the Cobra Slash Cut pipes on this weekend. I'm going to wrap the forward part of the pipes with 2" black fiberglass from NAPA.
                    I'll be keeping the stock pipes just in case the wife goes into a rant (am I the only one with this problem?).

Comment

An immediate solution is to keep wrapping the throttle while she's complaining about the noise, but the long-term repercussions leave a lot to be desired.
                      John Featherlin
                      Webmaster vulcanriders.us 2007-2016
                      International Chapter Coordinator 2009-2016
                      Forum Admin 2007-2016
                      USA Chapter Coordinator 2007-2016
                      National President 2007-2010
                      National Vice President 2006
                      National Secretary 2011-2012

Comment

You are certainly not the only one that has to curtail some improvements due to input from the wife.
                        This morning and for the next weeks, temps are about 20 F above normal, so I am certainly going to be doing a bit of riding. Glad the 800 is working out for you, it is a very sound bike.

Comment

The day is looking better with abating wind, so I'm off to the house for lunch to grab the bike. Still having issues with sputter during warm up. Looking at vacuum issues next. But after it warms up for 5 minutes, runs like a champ.

Comment

Setting the pilot screw will help the lean condition you are encountering. Back it out about 2-2½ turns from lightly seated.

Comment

In general the V-twins are cold blooded beasties. I had to keep my 800 on choke for about 3 or 4 minutes before I could turn it off without sputtering at a stop. Just the nature of them I guess.
                              Only a biker understands why a dog hangs its head out of the car window!

VRA membership is free! Pass the word! Have all the say as before but at no cost! What a great plan.

Comment

Working...
                              X