Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Hinton, IA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Hinton, IA

Just now joined VRA, but have been following threads for awhile. I just started riding about 6 years ago when I bought an '81 Goldwing from a friend. Wasn't a bad bike but I could see some problems coming down the road and traded for an '02 Vulcan 800 Classic. Liked that bike though it seemed a little top heavy and wanted somthing a bit larger. In '08 I traded the 800 for a Vulcan 900 Classic LT and have had no regrets whatsoever. I have not done much customizing on it. I added a Mustang seat w/driver backrest, lowers (I recommend them) and a tool bag on the fork. I live in a small town in NW Iowa and do most of my riding by myself or w/ the wife. Just doesn't seem too many around here interested in group riding. I am interested, though at my age (67) I do have to take a few more breaks. Good riding to all.

Re: Hello from Hinton, IA

Glad you found the ride that puts the biggest grin on your face. Welcome to the forum and Merry Christmas to ya.
    John Featherlin
    Webmaster vulcanriders.us 2007-2016
    International Chapter Coordinator 2009-2016
    Forum Admin 2007-2016
    USA Chapter Coordinator 2007-2016
    National President 2007-2010
    National Vice President 2006
    National Secretary 2011-2012

Comment

Welcome to the forum. I live close to Cedar Rapids, too bad you are so far away. There is someone else who checked in from NW Iowa, but I forget who it was.

Let me know if you are ever in the CR area, and we can meet for lunch or whatever.

Comment

Welcome to the group, glad to have you aboard. Holler if you need anything! Good bunch of folks here to help out
        Aloha

Derry ~DaBull~
        Bullock
        Former VRA USA National President
        Former NW Florida Chapter 1-6 President
        Crestview, Florida
        2012 Vulcan Voyager 1700
        (Previous 2005 Vulcan Nomad 1600)

~If you fool with Da Bull...You're gonna get the Horn

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys. Fly, do you ever get over to J & P Cycles in Anamosa? I'm afraid if I lived any closer I would be over there so much they'd have to get a restraining order against me. Bought my Mustang seat and some floorboards there. Seem like a good bunch.

Comment

Yep, when we lived in CR, I'd make it there at least once a month. Just to look around, if nothing else. Nice thing about the counter people, almost all of them ride, so they can relate to us very well.

When it gets warm again, let me know when you get over there, we can meet for lunch.

Comment

Will do. I'm in AZ right now, waiting out the winter. Stay warm, have Happy Holidays.

Comment

You certainly are not missing much in Iowa. It is 33.4F, misting rain, and supposed to snow on top of that stuff tomorrow.

Comment

Hey,
                  Now you know Fly and I've got my Vulcan put back together, so whenever the weather gets back to where it should be, I'll see you guys.

bruxo - 1600 vulcan - nevada, ia

Comment

The Vulcan owners in Iowa here are spread a bit thin, so it'll be hard to get together at one time, except perhaps at the national rally in NC this year.

But, since I'm retired, I'm always open to meeting during the week or weekend. So feel free to give me a shout whenever you're going for a long day's ride, or want to get together for lunch or at J&P Cycles.

Comment

Sounds good guys. I wish there was some way I could bring the Vulcan with me here, but I pull a 5th and am not comfortable with the idea of pulling another trailer behind that. Hey, Bruxo, you said you got your 1600 back together. Was there a problem or just modifying?

Comment

Hey Guys,,,,been away from the site for a bit, but am back. I am in NE Central Iowa, Lincoln to be exact, about 30 miles north of Marshalltown. Our group rode to Anamosa and JP and the side car rally there at the cycle museum last summer. Give a yell if your up this way. We ride all over the place and are planning rides now for the summer. We have a patriot ride that we are going to do in Grundy Center, usually the second Sat in June. I'll post as soon as I know for sure.
                        sigpic
                        KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN!!

Rick 'pasn' Hayden
                        Treasurer-Greater IA Chapter

Comment

Hi pasnbyu, welcome back. Looked at your profile and saw your request about a backrest for the driver. Did you do anything yet? I had a driver backrest on my 800 Classic and when I bought the 900 Classic LT the first thing I did was order a Mustang seat w/driver backrest from J & P. Wouldn't be without one. Sounds like you have a good group to ride with. Maybe I can get over that way and we can get together with Fly and Bruxo

Comment

Sorry, I have been awa for awhile. Looking forward to warm weather. That means at least 40 degrees for me.
                            To answer your question. My Vulcan had some scoring on the gear driven counter balancer spacer and race on the left side. Caused a heck of a knock. very load. That has been replaced, and since thenI have installed a Dynojet Power Commander PCIII Fuel Ingnition controller, and a Thunder Air Intake Kit. I've chunked a bit of money into this project and am really anxious to get on the road. It has been transformed quite a bit this winter. I hope to get it dyno tuned later this spring. It does sound quite a bit different now, but still very much Vulcan. I've been having as much fun with this as I can. Takes my mind off how much I hate winter.

Looking forward to riding this summer. See you all soon.

Comment

im in omaha. roughly an hour and ahlf from your location. I would be more than happy to meet up. get back to me at airman401@hotmail.com
                              William "Ryan" Pennington
                              Combat Vets Association
                              Vulcan Riders Association

1999 Harley Davidson Dyna LowRider

Comment

Working...
                              X