Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie Question >>> 2008 Nomad vs 2010 Nomad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Question >>> 2008 Nomad vs 2010 Nomad

Newbie here to the group eyeing 2 bikes, see if you can help me out... Upgrading from a C50 Boulevard to the Nomad. I have two bikes I am eyeing. 2008 around 8k in miles, mustang seat, v & h pipes, fuel pak, light bar and a little bit of chrome add ons $5k vs 2010 mostly stock 7K in miles, no light bar, $5.5K. Price wise they are within $500 of each other. I know some of the basic differences of the bike. 1600 vs 1700, shaft vs belt etc... I was also looking at Ivans ECU flash, available only starting in 2009(change to 1700) What are your opinions? Both are in great shape, i feel price is right on point. Scratching my head on what to do. Help me shed some light!!!

Welcome to the forum from Western Mass. Can't help you on your decision because I own a 900 LT Classic, but I'm sure you will get responses from someone who has them.
    sigpic

Comment

So here are the main differences between them:

Motor - 1600 vs 1700
      Transmission - 5spd vs 6spd
      Drive - Shaft vs Belt
      Saddlebags - Clam shell vs Top load

As you mentioned Ivan is only flashing the 1700's not the 1600's so you would not be able to get that if you went with the 2008.

When you look at the options - Mustang Seat - $500 - $600. V&H Pipes - $500 - Fuel Pack - $250 - Light Bar $200 There are a lot of extras on this one that add up. Now as we all know you never get back what you pay for the add ons.

Both motors are great and strong. If they are taken care of they will last. having the extra gear on the 1700's is really nice as well. I also think the 1700 Nomad has cruise control but don't hold me to that. I have ridden both and I personally like the 1700 a little better but I would not turn down a 1600 either.

So I know this doesn't tell you which to go for. So ultimately since quality wise they are very close I guess it depends on which one you like the looks of better! hehehe Or just go with the gut and pick one!!

Good luck and I am sure you will come away with a nice bike no matter what you pick.
      Patrick "Hotwheels" Sharon
      President Columbus Vulcan Riders Chapter 1-32
      Columbus, Oh
      National President 2020
      National Vice President 2019
      National Treasurer 2013 - 2015
      VROC Member # 34133
      2014 Vulcan Voyager
      2021 CanAm Spyder F3-Limited

2020 CanAm Spyder F3-Limited
      2009 Vulcan Voyager - Gone
      2002 1500 Mean Streak - Gone
      2007 Vulcan VN2000 Classic LT
      -Gone
      2007 Vulcan VN900 Classic LT - Gone

Columbus Vulcan Riders 1-32 FaceBook group

Comment

On top of what Patrick mentioned.

The 1600's were longer so if you are a big guy you may like it better, as it feels a little more stretched out, and seems to carry its weight just a little bit lower. Two things on the 1600s you see issues with is Cam Chains stretching over time which requires the installation of cam chain extenders. This is not a hard fix typically a do it yourself project and the extenders cost around 70 bucks each I think. The other thing is bevel gear bearings in the 1600s which do sometimes go out when the bike gets some miles on it, that is a more difficult and more expensive fix, and while maybe not a common problem you did hear of them going bad. The 1700s do not have a bevel gear since it is belt drive, and the belt should last if not the lifetime of the bike, probably a 100,000 miles. That said a small pebble caught between belt and pulley can change all that in short order. In that case the fix is easier than changing a bevel gear, but the belts are expensive.

The 1700 Nomads do have cruise control and a gear indicator which is nice, and some prefer the top opening bags over the side loading and vice versa.

If you are able to sit and maybe ride both I would go with the one that suits you best, as I don't think you could go wrong either way if they have been taken care of.
        Randy - aka racinfan101
        Central IL Chapter 1-39 President
        2024/25 National President

https://www.facebook.com/groups/cent...?ref=bookmarks
        2002 Vulcan Drifter 800, 2010 Vulcan Nomad 1700, 2020 Kawasaki W800. Gone but not forgotten...2008 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2002 Vulcan Drifter 1500.

Comment

Like the others, I can't tell you which one to purchase, but I own a 1600 classic with over 70,000 miles and I can tell you, they are a very good bike.
          I do wish it had a 6th gear for the high interstate speeds. I have not had the problems Randy mentioned, but I did just have an issue with a leaking gas tank. The leak was located at the back bracket. Water goes around the welds, gets between the bracket and the tank and rusts away. A good weld job and maybe a little paint and you're good to go.
          I've also had the clutch push rod seal go. The replacement could be fairly easy or could also require a full engine tear down. Luckily, my shop was able to do the easier method.
          Short of normal wear and tear items like head-stem and axle bearings, final drive oil, and break pads; I've had no other major issues.
          Always Believe,
          Marc VanderPal

President - Rock River Valley Vulcan Riders

Email - marcvanderpal@charter.net

Comment

Working...
          X