Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

newbie with a mowhawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newbie with a mowhawk

sounded cool, I do have a mowhawk..

anyway I'm a proud owner of a Vulcan VN800B
    7700miles gold..
    I am interisted in learning as much as I can about this bike.
    I just purchased the CLYNE manual and it has been helpful..

I do have a question..

I saw the thread on oil and the debate between dino and synth.
    what about oil filters?
    I have used mobile 1 filters for my 300ZXTT(which I sold to buy my bike)
    and for a turbo car that was the best as far as I could find.
    the WIX had better filtering but on cold starts it had a chance of rupturing the filter eliment.
    I should add that I have had this bike for 2 weeks, it's my first bike and my first riding experience.
    I am very happy with the bike and I LOVE riding it.I have put 300 miles on her so far.
    I am scheduled to take the safty course in sept then I'll get my full endorsement.
    I have looked at the blinkey safty lights(kison?)..does anyone here use them?
    are they helpful in getting cagers attention?
    what about an aftermarket air horn?
    is there a chapter around Cincinnato, ohio?

well, I guess that's my introduction.

-Mark
    Last edited by Mohawk Grenade; 06-29-2010, 03:45 AM. Reason: additional information..
    My Ride:
    2005 Vulcan 800 Classic
    My Band:
    www.myspace.com/rumbleclub
    www.rumbleclub.com

Re: newbie with a mowhawk

The 800 is a very good bike, it's fully capable of city cruising or two up long distance travel.

Debates on biking forums about brands of oil, filters and tires take up a lot of space, especially during the Winter months when many can't ride. I have seen so many different studies that show different brands being the best, that I almost always ignore these studies as simply advertisements for that brand.

From the 1970s until a couple of years ago, I used Mobil-1 synthetic oil for everything, because of personal experience racing VW powered dune buggies. I now used synthetic oil, but usually whatever brand is on sale when I buy it. Same as FRAM oil filters, article in "Consumers Reports" from sometime in the 1990s, except that I do still use FRAM oil filters on everything. Personnel choice of mine and I expect everyone else to use their own judgment in selecting products.

Enjoy the forum, don't think there is a chapter close to you, but you can probably find some Vulcan riders at the local Kaw shop, bike nights, charity rides, etc.

Comment

welcome aboard!!
      here's a link for your area.

http://vulcanriders.us/Forum/showthread.php?t=3513

Randy
      07 Classic 1500
      04 Mean Streak 1600
      The destination is merely a by-product of the journey.

Comment

Welcome and if you ask, you will recieve answers to most is not all your questions. By the way, there is only one W in Mohawk not that it really matters.
        Albie Salsburg (1700 Rider)
        2009 Vulcan Voyager
        V&H Slipons
        Thunder MFG Air Kit
        "Ivan's Re-Flash"

Comment

the Mowhawk Gnade is from a commercial with Mr.t... about some video game...
          I just get a kick out of him saying"da mowhawk ganaaade!"..lol
          My Ride:
          2005 Vulcan 800 Classic
          My Band:
          www.rumbleclub.com

Comment

Just had my first ride into the city(cincinnati)...had a cement truck throwing some liquid(probably water to mix the cement), then a ford f150 towing a trailer come left of center3/4 into my lane(cell phone),3 people cut me off turning left, and a road raging minivan...the trip was 45 miles round trip.
            that was an eventful trip for a guy with 2 weeks riding experience... sheesh.
            Last edited by Mohawk Grenade; 06-29-2010, 02:43 PM.
            My Ride:
            2005 Vulcan 800 Classic
            My Band:
            www.rumbleclub.com

Comment

Originally posted by mowhawk ganade View Post
              Just had my first ride into the city(cincinnati)...had a cement truck throwing some liquid(probably water to mix the cement), then a ford f150 towing a trailer come left of center3/4 into my lane(cell phone),3 people cut me off turning left, and a road raging minivan...the trip was 45 miles round trip.
              that was an eventful trip for a guy with 2 weeks riding experience... sheesh.
              Ride carefull, be alert. Don't assume anything.
              Albie Salsburg (1700 Rider)
              2009 Vulcan Voyager
              V&H Slipons
              Thunder MFG Air Kit
              "Ivan's Re-Flash"

Comment

As they often say, "They are out to get you." Two weeks into riding and you've discovered that most people haven't a clue about what is happening around them on the road. Regardless of who's really supposed to be watching the road, we are so vulnerable on a bike, that we must watch out for the idiots that are out driving their cages.

Comment

the only thing I assume is that they ARE out to get me..that and if it's dangerous, dumb orabsentminded, they will do it.
                  My Ride:
                  2005 Vulcan 800 Classic
                  My Band:
                  www.rumbleclub.com

Comment

welcome to the group bro ride safe, holler if you need anything...
                    Aloha

Derry ~DaBull~
                    Bullock
                    Former VRA USA National President
                    Former NW Florida Chapter 1-6 President
                    Crestview, Florida
                    2012 Vulcan Voyager 1700
                    (Previous 2005 Vulcan Nomad 1600)

~If you fool with Da Bull...You're gonna get the Horn

Comment

Originally posted by mowhawk ganade View Post
                      sounded cool, I do have a mowhawk..

anyway I'm a proud owner of a Vulcan VN800B
                      7700miles gold..
                      I am interisted in learning as much as I can about this bike.
                      I just purchased the CLYNE manual and it has been helpful..

I do have a question..

I saw the thread on oil and the debate between dino and synth.
                      what about oil filters?
                      I have used mobile 1 filters for my 300ZXTT(which I sold to buy my bike)
                      and for a turbo car that was the best as far as I could find.
                      the WIX had better filtering but on cold starts it had a chance of rupturing the filter eliment.
                      I should add that I have had this bike for 2 weeks, it's my first bike and my first riding experience.
                      I am very happy with the bike and I LOVE riding it.I have put 300 miles on her so far.
                      I am scheduled to take the safty course in sept then I'll get my full endorsement.
                      I have looked at the blinkey safty lights(kison?)..does anyone here use them?
                      are they helpful in getting cagers attention?
                      what about an aftermarket air horn?
                      is there a chapter around Cincinnato, ohio?

well, I guess that's my introduction.

-Mark
                      Welcome Mark,
                      Those people in Cinci are nuts, after reading your close encounter of the "skidmark kind" I think I'd steer clear of the big roads and people with little minds for a bit yet.
                      I sold a pristine Yamaha Royal Star TD to a guy there last Year, some escaped mental patiant ran completely over it while it was parked behind a broke down pickup on the shoulder out on east 50. Less than 3k miles on a 11 year old bike!

Comment

That sucks Bob!
                        I have been very careful while out riding.
                        I stay mostly to the country roads, but I have made a few ventures into the city.
                        I try to stay away from other cars(if they aint close they can't get me)
                        I am feeling alot more comfortable on my ride.
                        I still kill the clutch sometimes when starting on a hill.
                        I have put 600 miles on my bike in the past 2 weeks.I try to ride everyday that the weather permits.
                        I am staying off the freeways but I have done a little riding after dark.
                        I have done a fair amount of parking lot practice including emergency stopps(from 25 mph to a stop using both brakes and downshifting)
                        and turning/figure 8's
                        turning my head to look where I'm going and not looking down.
                        I feel like I'm doing pretty well for 2 weeks, but I am cautious of not becomming overconfident in my abilities.
                        I posted a clutch related question in the tech section if anyone has the inclination to help a newb. it'd be greatly appreciated.!
                        I would like to join the newley forming Cincinnati chapter.
                        well, that's all for now..

-Mark
                        My Ride:
                        2005 Vulcan 800 Classic
                        My Band:
                        www.rumbleclub.com

Comment

If you have not done so, PLEASE, enroll in a MSF course. Unless you have someone who is on the level of one of those guys to giude and teach you the benefits of taking the course are far and above the price tag. Will it make you an expert? Not likely, only practicing good habits will do that, and they can and will show that you possess the tools to learn good habits. Your off to a good start, make it a great start! Not kknowing what is available in Ohio if you need the help I'll be happy to put you in touch with a friend in the DMV up in Hamilton.
                          In Ky upon completion of the course you are given a waiver form to take to the DMV that allows you to bypass the road test and obtain a full license.

Get with Doc(Daoul) on that chapter, I'm sure he'll be all smiles to meet you, despite a minor glitch he appears to be off to a good start.

Comment

I'll say take the riding course also, "they" say it'll give you 2 years worth of experience.
                            I just got around to buying an oil change for my bike went with the mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 and a K&N oil filter, got it all from AutoZone. had to get filter from thier 'hub' store but only took a couple of hours to get it.
                            Papa Bear
                            2007 Vulcan Classic LT 900, Maroon & Silver
                            VROC # 31434
                            God's Great, Beer is Good, and People are Crazy

Comment

I use Mobile 1 also.

Comment

Working...
                              X