Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello!

Just want to say hello. I've just bought my 09 VN900 LT, 12/31/08. It's my first cruiser and my second bike. I'm loving it so far, if the weather would just break! I've only got 225 miles on it and 150 of that I put on it yesterday. :S It was 62 and sunny, they're calling for snow showers tonight!

I can tell already I'm gonna need a better seat. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

This is a great forum and we need a local chapter here in NC.

Ron
    sigpic
    2009 VN900 LT
    Burlington, NC

Re: Hello!

Welcome, Ron! Where in NC are you located? There isn't currently a chapter there but 2 Vulcan riders came to the national rally last July and they've been working on putting together a chapter down that way. They live real close to the border, since one was from NC and the other from SC, but I'm not sure just where along the border they're located. But we're always looking for folks willing to start a new chapter in their area. Check the guys in the NW Fla. chapter. They just got the ball rolling and are building quickly. As for a seat ... I've always found the Mustang seats to be very comfortable. Especially on the back seat where the little lady rides. Much wider an more plush for putting in a long day in the saddle. Not cheap, but comfort never is.
    Only a biker understands why a dog hangs its head out of the car window!

VRA membership is free! Pass the word! Have all the say as before but at no cost! What a great plan.

Comment

Thanks.
      That'd be cool if we could get a chapter going around here. I Live in Burlington, NC which in the central part of the state. Those mustang seats do look nice, maybe when that tax return comes in!
      sigpic
      2009 VN900 LT
      Burlington, NC

Comment

Ron,

Welcome! The first thing I changed on my VN900 was the seat. What a piece of garbage that stock seat was. I have a Saddlemen seat, but have heard only good things about the Mustang. Congrats on the bike and safe riding.

BTW: The guys SCPAVRA1 is refering to are Brian and David. Go the the MEMBERS LIST and find "Red Ghost", that's David's handle for the site. You may want to email him, I have'nt seen him on the forum for some time.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Stout View Post
          Ron,

Welcome! The first thing I changed on my VN900 was the seat. What a piece of garbage that stock seat was. I have a Saddlemen seat, but have heard only good things about the Mustang. Congrats on the bike and safe riding.

BTW: The guys SCPAVRA1 is refering to are Brian and David. Go the the MEMBERS LIST and find "Red Ghost", that's David's handle for the site. You may want to email him, I have'nt seen him on the forum for some time.
          Saddle man eh? I havent seen those. How do they compare in price to Mustangs and how do you like it?

Thanks for the info. I'll look these guys up.
          sigpic
          2009 VN900 LT
          Burlington, NC

Comment

It depends on the look you want as well as the feel. Mustang seats tend to be bigger, more like the stock seat, but much more comfy. Corbin seats tend to be more sculpted and streamlined for that "fast" look. Saddlemen, I believe (Dave can elaborate) is kind of in between. A streamline style but a little plusher look than Corbin. Things to consider: #1 The look you want and #2 Is the saddle for you or for you and a significant other? If option #2, you have to remember their comfort too.
            Only a biker understands why a dog hangs its head out of the car window!

VRA membership is free! Pass the word! Have all the say as before but at no cost! What a great plan.

Comment

Hey Ron! Welcome to group and congrats on your bike purchase! Look forward to seeing ya on the boards!
              Aloha

Derry ~DaBull~
              Bullock
              Former VRA USA National President
              Former NW Florida Chapter 1-6 President
              Crestview, Florida
              2012 Vulcan Voyager 1700
              (Previous 2005 Vulcan Nomad 1600)

~If you fool with Da Bull...You're gonna get the Horn

Comment

As to seats, I find that the seat on my 900 Custom is just fine after a couple of hours correcting the seat. Just removed the cover, cut the form in a better shape and put the cover back on. Quite easy to do, and did I mention cheap!

Comment

First off, WELCOME to the forum

If you are in to doing things yourself, check out these direction I put together for adding memory foam and/or gel to your OEM seat.

Opps... I would post the file as an attachment, but the forum will not let me upload anything bigger that 100kb. (Kinda small in my opinion)

Instead I can offer you a link to another forum I posted the directions on.
                  Directions on how to add gel to your seat
                  1995 Vulcan 800A
                  If the parts don't fit, get a bigger hammer!
                  NW FL VRA 1-6
                  A.K.A. = Paul
                  Me on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by ronaldki View Post
                    Saddle man eh? I havent seen those. How do they compare in price to Mustangs and how do you like it?

Thanks for the info. I'll look these guys up.
                    Go to www.meancycles.com and check out all the seats. They carry Saddlemen, Mustang and Petrucci (I think that's the name?). Corbin makes a great seat, but the price is staggering to say the least.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

BTW: I've purchased several items from them, including my seat. Good group of people.
                    Last edited by Dave Stout; 02-03-2009, 12:27 AM.

Comment

Wow! Lots of great replies here. Thanks for all the info guys. One thing for sure, I've got to do something different from what I have.
                      sigpic
                      2009 VN900 LT
                      Burlington, NC

Comment

As someone who modifies his own seats, instead of buying one, I'm very interested in information about this subject.

When John and I set up this forum, we had to set limits on many things, size of files were one of these. It was an arbitrary amount and is easily changed to fit what we need. Either post here, email or private mail me as to the size of the file and I'm sure there is something we can do about it.

We were concerned that too many people would start putting in too many large files, pictures, etc. There have been enough people with issues, and no one really posting unnecessary files that we should be able to double the size of all these files and pictures. It will take me awhile to get things changed, but a few days should do it.

Originally posted by Joram View Post
                        First off, WELCOME to the forum

If you are in to doing things yourself, check out these direction I put together for adding memory foam and/or gel to your OEM seat.

Opps... I would post the file as an attachment, but the forum will not let me upload anything bigger that 100kb. (Kinda small in my opinion)

Instead I can offer you a link to another forum I posted the directions on.
                        Directions on how to add gel to your seat

Comment

Originally posted by ronaldki View Post
                          Wow! Lots of great replies here. Thanks for all the info guys. One thing for sure, I've got to do something different from what I have.
                          Ron,

Something else I forgot to mention, Kawasaki has an after market seat for the 900. I think it is manufactured by Saddlemen. I've heard good things about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Fly View Post
                            As someone who modifies his own seats, instead of buying one, I'm very interested in information about this subject.

When John and I set up this forum, we had to set limits on many things, size of files were one of these. It was an arbitrary amount and is easily changed to fit what we need. Either post here, email or private mail me as to the size of the file and I'm sure there is something we can do about it.

We were concerned that too many people would start putting in too many large files, pictures, etc. There have been enough people with issues, and no one really posting unnecessary files that we should be able to double the size of all these files and pictures. It will take me awhile to get things changed, but a few days should do it.
                            Thanks for looking into this one. The funny thing is the PDF I wanted to post is only 101kb (just over ). I have a few things I would like to post to the forum. Mainly How-Too's . Most are under 300kb, but a few are over 1Mb topping out at 1.5Mb.

I would send a PM, but I seem to be having problems with that too. It just loads a blank page for me.
                            1995 Vulcan 800A
                            If the parts don't fit, get a bigger hammer!
                            NW FL VRA 1-6
                            A.K.A. = Paul
                            Me on Facebook

Comment

not sure if photobucket or other "like" sites handle .pdfs, but perhaps that would be an option??
                              Aloha

Derry ~DaBull~
                              Bullock
                              Former VRA USA National President
                              Former NW Florida Chapter 1-6 President
                              Crestview, Florida
                              2012 Vulcan Voyager 1700
                              (Previous 2005 Vulcan Nomad 1600)

~If you fool with Da Bull...You're gonna get the Horn

Comment

Working...
                              X