Vulcan 900 shift problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vulcan 900 shift problems

I brought out my 2011 900 custom for spring to put on new rear tire change oil, get it inspected for New York season. I took it out for a run and had problems shifting into first, then after riding couldn't shift to second, and back into first, had to limp home in third and higher!!! Is there something that might have to do with a late oil change??? Thanks!!!

Re: Vulcan 900 shift problems

Check clutch free play.
    2007 VN900 CUSTOM

Comment

Originally posted by joker48 View Post
      Is there something that might have to do with a late oil change??? Thanks!!!
      "Late" as opposed to what ?

No, unless you blew the amount of oil by a LOT or most of it has leaked out already, the oil change had nothing to do with the observed problem.

Oh, wait......you didn't put in XW50 oil, did you ??

I agree it sounds like the clutch might be dragging due to too much slack in the cable......and if it has a LOT of miles, that might be an early warning of a clutch cable about to break.

You don't have different foot gear for riding than you did last year do you ??

Comment

Check the shift lever. The same happened to me I too limped home in 3d and when I got home found the shift rod had fallen off.
        wanderer5210 aka Ted

Comment

Thanks guys, I didn't run out of oil and only used what is recommended by Kawasaki. I have about 9600 miles on it" I talked to a friend who has a shop and he also thinks it might be the clutch adjustment. I am looking into it further Friday as it has been only 40 degrees hear in the Catskills in upstate New York. I will keep you all posted on any results!!! Thanks again Joker48

Comment

Also check for fraying of the cable at the lever. Every now and then a batch of 900's come out with bad cables - when fraying starts the cable stretches and mimics an adjustment problem. I keep a spare at home since the local's don't stock them and they're cheap - takes 2 weeks around here to get one.
            2007 VN900 CUSTOM

Comment

Hey Brothers, I thank you again, I looked closer at the shift lever and it was bent!!! I removed it and bent it back, put it back on it shifts again!!! I am still not sure why it bent or was not shifting, but I did hit it kind of hard with my heel!!! Still don't know why it started shifting in the first place, and must have kept bending a little at a time!!! Thanks again!!!

Comment

Working...
              X