Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Target Fixation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Target Fixation

The most frequent cause of motorcycle crashes isn’t left-turning cars, or leaping deer, but our own brains. Buried deep in that squishy lump of gray matter are instincts millions of years old that kept us and our mammalian ancestors from becoming the main course on some large toothy critter’s lunch menu. But the same instincts that protected us then, and still do now, can turn on us. That’s what you see in this video, and here’s how you can avoid it.

The motorcycle rider crashing into these bicycles almost certainly experienced a phenomenon called target fixation. The phrase was coined during World War II to describe what happened to fighter pilots who collided with the enemy planes they were shooting at, or crashed into the targets they were strafing on the ground.

You’ve probably been riding along when something––a rock, some roadkill, a rusty car muffler––appeared on the pavement ahead. Instead of going around it, you found yourself riding straight at it as if some mysterious hands were steering the bike. This wasn’t an X-Files moment, just your brain doing its job by focusing your attention completely on the danger to the exclusion of everything else.

The problem is your brain’s reaction to danger conflicts with another set of reactions that tell your hands to steer the bike where your eyes are looking. When your sight is focused on the road ahead, it’s easy to keep it between the lines and out of the roadside ditch. Look where you want to go, and you’ll go there. But when you’re staring wide-eyed at a pothole as big as a wading pool, your brain thinks that’s where you want to go, and it takes you there.

Avoiding target fixation is as easy as erasing an ancient, deeply rooted reaction to danger with one more suited to modern times––which is to say, not that easy at all. But it can be done, and without putting yourself in harm’s way. The trick is to shift your attention away from the thing you don’t want to hit and concentrate instead on a safe path around it. You can practice this with leaves on the road, or patches in the asphalt, so the learning curve doesn’t have such a steep slope of consequences.
    Another tip: If you ride with your eyes focused on the pavement just a few yards ahead of your front wheel, try lifting your gaze to a point father down the road. Distance equals time, and the sooner you spot a potential hazard the more time you have to plot a safe course around it.

Aloha

Derry ~DaBull~
    Bullock
    Former VRA USA National President
    Former NW Florida Chapter 1-6 President
    Crestview, Florida
    2012 Vulcan Voyager 1700
    (Previous 2005 Vulcan Nomad 1600)

~If you fool with Da Bull...You're gonna get the Horn

Re: Target Fixation

It's so true. Gotta be careful. So easy to do this without realizing what you are doing until it is too late!!! Be safe everyone!!
    Patrick "Hotwheels" Sharon
    President Columbus Vulcan Riders Chapter 1-32
    Columbus, Oh
    National President 2020
    National Vice President 2019
    National Treasurer 2013 - 2015
    VROC Member # 34133
    2014 Vulcan Voyager
    2021 CanAm Spyder F3-Limited

2020 CanAm Spyder F3-Limited
    2009 Vulcan Voyager - Gone
    2002 1500 Mean Streak - Gone
    2007 Vulcan VN2000 Classic LT
    -Gone
    2007 Vulcan VN900 Classic LT - Gone

Columbus Vulcan Riders 1-32 FaceBook group

Comment

The very first time I went to the Tail of the Dragon, I kept noticing all the skid marks leading off the road. They kept grabbing my attention. The whole ride I had to keep telling myself over and over. "Look through the turn, look through the turn". I was amazed at all the skid marks and the danger of that road. It has been paved a few times since then and unless the marks are fresh I just don't notice them anymore.

On a side note: When I do see skid marks in a road when I am out riding I use that as a clue to slow down because there was a reason that person locked up their brakes. Sometimes it is a light right after the curve, or a curve just over the rise, etc.
      '18 Road Glide Special, '18 Moto Guzzi V7III Carbon, '75 KT250 Trials.

Comment

Good information - thanks for sharing!
        Randy - aka racinfan101
        Central IL Chapter 1-39 President
        2024/25 National President

https://www.facebook.com/groups/cent...?ref=bookmarks
        2002 Vulcan Drifter 800, 2010 Vulcan Nomad 1700, 2020 Kawasaki W800. Gone but not forgotten...2008 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2002 Vulcan Drifter 1500.

Comment

Great information Derry...I enjoyed them all...always good to learn
          You only live once, so live life like a kid always
          www.facebook.com/groups/missouribootheelvra/
          https://www.facebook.com/tom.taylor....ref=ts&fref=ts
          http://missouribootheel1-58.weebly.com

Comment

I hate cars that are supposed to yield or stop while you're on a turn. You can't trust them. It's not so much fixation as it is getting your butt run over.
            Bob Howley "ICE CUBE"
            2007 VN900 CUSTOM
            2020 1700 VOYAGER

Comment

Working...
            X