Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your thoughts on "Lane splitting"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let me start by stating that I am just getting back into motorcycling but I started riding back in 1989 and gave up on it in early 2000. I have noted over those years that most of the riders who want unhindered lane splitting seem to sportsbike squirrels who also do not believe they should have to register or insure their bikes. Most have their license plates bent in such an angle so that it makes it hard for anyone to be able to note their numbers. In Europe, particularly in France, there seem to be 2 traffic laws. One is for motorized 2-wheeled vehicles; the other is for everybody else. And it is utter chaos!! You never knew when some idiot was going to run into your car when you are trying change lanes or make a turn. It was hard enough to watch out for other drivers but having to watch for entitled riders who can put a dent on your car and then make their escape through the traffic adds to the stress.

Lane splitting should only be allowed under special circumstances and not as a rule and only if the road conditions (IE: lane width and weather) allows it to be performed safely. It should also be LIMITED TO INTERSTATES AND ROADS WITH AT LEAST 3 TRAVELING LANES. As the situation and weather allows, and when traffic is moving at a steady pace, all motorbikes need to maintain their place in the traffic queue and overtake safely as the situation allows for it like everybody else.

When traffic is going VERY SLOW PACE (IE: maybe 30 mph or less?) lane splitting should be allowed. When traffic is at a STANDSTILL lane splitting AND riding on the shoulder, AS LONG AS IT CAN BE DONE SAFELY, should also be legal.

As far as during emergencies, as in while stopped in traffic and you observe a car coming up behind you who seem unaware of the stopped traffic, it is already legal to lane split in order to escape a collision. So is riding on the shoulder or even the sidewalk under similar circumstances. There is a precedent and legal term for this - but I forget what it is.

As both a rider and cage driver I hate lane splitters when the traffic is moving at a decent speed. The last time I was driving in the LA area (about 20-years ago) a squirrel came within a couple of inches of taking out my elbow while we were moving along at about 60 mph. But this is JM2CW.

Comment

I'm sorry but I don't understand why it should ever be allowed.

Comment

There's no real reason not to, but I expect it would be a learning curve if it was introduced somewhere. Here in CA people expect it and I've had very few jackasses riding the right side of the left lane. I'll keep doing it, on my cruiser with crash bars and saddlebags.
        San Diego Vulcan Riders 1-24
        https://sdvra.com
        • 2002 VN1500P Mean Streak
        • 2006 VN1600B Mean Streak
        • 2013 VN1700J Vaquero

Comment

I suppose this is a subject that is like cats. You either like them or you don't. I just cannot bring myself to accept lane splitting under any circumstance (other than accident avoidance). Giving riders special privileges to do things unacceptable (aside from impossible) for other vehicles to do isn't right in my book. The vast majority of riders that I've seen that are pro-lane splitting, in the various forums where I've asked this question, are from California. California barely arrests even out-n-out thieves anymore so why not allow this? Sorry. I can't see it.

Comment

Working...
          X