Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bulbs Bulbs Bulbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bulbs Bulbs Bulbs

I took Sketso's advice and bought the Wagner BP1210 H4 headlight bulb for my 900 and the Sylvania 2357 LL tail lamp. What a big differance. After doing some research I found this article on the net.
    Install a Brighter Brake Light Bulb
    Our Vulcans use a dual filament 1157 bulb as a combo tail light and brake light. If you'd like a bit more visibility when braking, you can change this bulb out for a 2357 bulb. The 2357 is available at any auto parts store (there's also a 2357A which is yellow). It produces the same brightness for the tail light (3 lumens) but 25% more light for the brake (40 lumens vs. 32)
    So why didn't Kawasaki use the 2357 bulb in the first place? Well, there's a downside or two that you'll have to weigh.
    The power required to run the 2357 bulb is the same as the 1157 in normal running but with brakes applied there is a slight increase in the amps required (2.1 for the 1157, 2.2 for the 2357). The resulting increase in watts used is 1.28 watts, or a 4.76% increase over the standard 1157 bulb. You probably won't lose any sleep over that. The major sticking point is bulb life. Your 1157 brake light element is rated for 1200 hours while the brighter 2357 element is rated for 400 hours. (The tail light element in both bulbs is rated the same at 5000 hours). THIS JUST IN....If you can find them, Sylvania has a long life 2357 bulb labeled 2357LL which has about double the life of the standard 2357. Read more about it on the Sylvania Website
    And the price of 25% more light while braking? About two dollars for both bulbs.
    There is also a Halogen bulb option but you'll risk melting your tail light lens using it.

I bought my Sylvania bulbs at walmart.

Re: Bulbs Bulbs Bulbs

Nice write up James. Told ya you'd be amazed at the difference! For a cost-effective upgrade, this can't be beat. The Wagner headlight upgrade (only found 'em at NAPA stores so far) is well worth it for the front, too, and I often say it's the best $10.00 I've spent on my bike! Riding to work the other day, I was actually noticing my headlight reflecting off of the back of cagers in front of me, on LOW beam, and I can't really remember seeing that during the day before... if *I* notice it that much more, the cagers in front of me, coming and going, must be more likely to see me as well! Plus, the night-time difference is simply incredible. With the stock bulb, I used to ride around with the bright on at all time, day or night, but the Wagner's low beam is sufficient for most riding now... better brightness, better spread on the lighting, and when I hit the brights now? WOW! I feel guilty if I bright someone with this bulb now, LOL

As an added thought, I recommend carrying an extra headlight and brake light bulb with ya at all times. Those are the two most important bulbs on the bike, and if one goes out, it makes for trouble.
    Riding Redemption all over Oklahoma... 21,000 miles and counting!
    sigpic
    B.A.C.A. Member, Oklahoma Chapter

Comment

Sketso,

What exactly is the Wagner headlight upgrade you are talking about?
      Tim Wilson
      Chapter Founder
      Phoenix Vulcan Riders 1-15
      2013 Vulcan Vaquero
      VROC #25683

Comment

It's just a replacement bulb that plugs directly into the 900, but it's much brighter and has a MUCH better lighting spread than the stock and most replacements. You'll notice an amazing difference your very next night ride, plus it's much more noticeable during the day as well. I cut and pasted the bulb brand/number below, and as far as I've researched, it can only be found at NAPA locations. Some of the stores have older packaging, and it's labelled as "Offroad and ATV", but it's the same bulb.

Wagner BP1210 H4
        sigpic

Comment

i bought the sylvania ultra bright around 30 bucks well worth it

Comment

Originally posted by frizzld View Post
            i bought the sylvania ultra bright around 30 bucks well worth it
            That's the nice thing about this Wagner... 10 bucks!
            sigpic

Comment

Anyone know off hand if these upgrades are true for the 1500's also?
              I've searched and can't find info. Tks.
              sigpic
              Wayne 'dr REX' Bradshaw
              VROC #31264
              IBA #44679

Comment

I ride a '07 VN1500 and I was concerned about the same thing. I did a lot of research and came up with the following. It's way brighter than stock. And at NAPA it only costed a few dollars more. Down at the bottom of the page I put a link online if you wanted to go that route.

Wagner Lighting 9003/H4 Headlight Bulb

BriteLite Xenon One Bulb

Wagner Lighting® Brand

Item# 9003BL Product Features:
                Xenon gas filled for increased light output and excellent performance.
                Replaces your factory headlight capsule.
                This bulb is a direct replacement which connects to your factory plugs.
                Installs just like your factory bulbs, simply plug-n-play.
                Creates a 30 degree wider beam pattern than stock bulbs.
                Delivers 80% more light on the road and runs cooler that standard bulbs.
                This is the Wagner's premier bulb! Wagner Britelite is the powerful xenon-filled headlight bulb that delivers 80% more light on the road and 30% wider beam pattern for better peripheral viewing and safer turning. These Wagner 9003 replacement bulbs are SAE and DOT approved and are street legal in all 50 states and Canada. This 9003 bulb is filled with Xenon gas and features a high powered 60/55 watt filament which delivers a brighter, wider beam pattern providing maximum viewing safety.

Product Specifications: 9003/H4 Style Bulb , Lens type: HB2 , Dual Filament for high and low beam. , Rating (Hi Beam/Low Beam); Volts = 12/12; Watts = 60/55; Amps = 5.0/4.58; Candlepower = 143/86;

http://www.brandsport.com/wagl-9003bl.html
                Tim Wilson
                Chapter Founder
                Phoenix Vulcan Riders 1-15
                2013 Vulcan Vaquero
                VROC #25683

Comment

The 900's use Sylvania's 9003 bulb, which I'm almost positive cross references to the Wagner's 9003BL (please double check that to be sure), and if so, the BP1210 should fit as long as your fuse will handle the 80/100 watts for low/high beam.

Wagner's BL (brite lite) series is definitely brighter than the stock with the same wattage ratings, though. Of course, Wagner reports up to 80% more light from them, but I'm sure that's best case scenario. I do know many folks who will say they're "half again" brighter, so it's a definite improvement, if for no other reason than it casts a much better lighting pattern than the stock bulbs do.

Sylvania's higher end bulbs (silverstar, etc.) do the same thing, but they charge you out the WAZOO for it. Wagner keeps the prices much more reasonable.
                  sigpic

Comment

I have read reports on other forums that the regular silver star bulbs don't last very long. They do have a heavy duty one for motorcycles now, but I have not heard anything about them. I am tempted to try that Wagner bulb, though the Voyger stock setup is pretty bright.
                    Albie Salsburg (1700 Rider)
                    2009 Vulcan Voyager
                    V&H Slipons
                    Thunder MFG Air Kit
                    "Ivan's Re-Flash"

Comment

Well, like James...I went with Sketso's setup and just plugged in the BP120/H4 bulb in the headlight and the 2357LL in the tail end. Both are definetly brighter, (I like the brake light) don't know about in the day but just took it out for a spin in the dark and big big difference at night. Yahoooooo As long as I don't blow anything I'm happy.
                      sigpic
                      Wayne 'dr REX' Bradshaw
                      VROC #31264
                      IBA #44679

Comment

Working...
                      X