Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New rider in San Diego

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New rider in San Diego

Just wanted to introduce myself, I'm Dave and I live in Vista (San Diego) CA. I just bought my first bike, a 2009 Vulcan 900 Custom.
    I took the MSF Basic Rider 1 course about 4 months ago. Now that I have my bike I'm considering the Basic Rider 2 course. Since I don't really know anyone out here I'm on my own as far as getting experience so I've just been reading and reading..if it weren't for the rain this weekend I'd be doing some parking lot practice and some short rides. I plan on using her as a daily commuter so I want to be 100% comfortable.
    I'm loving the Bike Safety and Rider tips section in here...I've spent the last 4 hours on there while the Mrs is calling me from the living room haha. So time to spend time with her..

Re: New rider in San Diego

I'm reading conflicting things about the fuel I should use. I was told by the people I bought the bike from that I should always use premium, but another forum I read to use the cheap stuff because it burns hotter? Something about the carbon build up?

I don't know. I've only put a few miles on her but I filled up with premium from a 76 gas station, I'd normally use either Chevron or Shell.

Also, would you recommend going with the widest tires possible since I do a lot of traveling? (45 miles each way) I read from another forum that I can go 90/90/15 in the front and 200/70/15 in the back with no mods using Metzler tires.

Comment

sorry, meant 21 not 15

Comment

Welcome to the forum from Columbus, OH!!! Glad you found us.

As for the fuel question, I have an 09 Voyager and I do notice it runs better with the premium in it. So that's what I always try to use.

As for the tire, there are a few other Custom owners on here that hopefully will be along soon to help answer those questions for you.

Good luck!
        Patrick "Hotwheels" Sharon
        President Columbus Vulcan Riders Chapter 1-32
        Columbus, Oh
        National President 2020
        National Vice President 2019
        National Treasurer 2013 - 2015
        VROC Member # 34133
        2014 Vulcan Voyager
        2021 CanAm Spyder F3-Limited

2020 CanAm Spyder F3-Limited
        2009 Vulcan Voyager - Gone
        2002 1500 Mean Streak - Gone
        2007 Vulcan VN2000 Classic LT
        -Gone
        2007 Vulcan VN900 Classic LT - Gone

Columbus Vulcan Riders 1-32 FaceBook group

Comment

agree with Patrick on the fuel....whichever cause less/no pinging....

make sure you hook up with our San Diego Chapter...riding with a group is a great way to get some riding tips and tricks....

Holler if you need anything and welcome to the group!
          Aloha

Derry ~DaBull~
          Bullock
          Former VRA USA National President
          Former NW Florida Chapter 1-6 President
          Crestview, Florida
          2012 Vulcan Voyager 1700
          (Previous 2005 Vulcan Nomad 1600)

~If you fool with Da Bull...You're gonna get the Horn

Comment

Welcome from Kansas City. Run 90 octain or better if you can. Bike will run ok on less if you have to, your gas milage will go down. There is a post in here about tire size and traction patch if you are into math. Use the serch feature to find it.

Comment

Welcome from Central IL!
              Randy - aka racinfan101
              Central IL Chapter 1-39 President
              2024/25 National President

https://www.facebook.com/groups/cent...?ref=bookmarks
              2002 Vulcan Drifter 800, 2010 Vulcan Nomad 1700, 2020 Kawasaki W800. Gone but not forgotten...2008 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2002 Vulcan Drifter 1500.

Comment

Thanks guys, and big thanks to you Derry. The bike safety tips section is awesome!

Comment

The wife has a 900 and run,s reg gas in that so it should be fine. Now there is some debate on the front tire [if the metz fits? sliding in place after install?] one trick would be --do not inflate the tire to full psi pressure until you slid it up past the problem area ? then blow it up.? not sure where the problem is. fender bolts ?... check the 900 folder here. there is some chat about this right now. as far as the rear that should be no problem.. metz,s are a great tire.. ok tips 1.) run what ever the side wall says is "max pressure rating" for air pressure.. should be like 40 PSI. screw what ma kaw say to run-- way to low on all the bikes from them. trust me.. 4 bikes at home and a lot of new tires changed I know what works.! 2.) if pos "Dyna Beads" for bal if pos. they just work well. 2 oz,s per tire on your bike. 3.) make sure the tire,s match radial or bias ply. front and rear..no mix and match.. they just run better... rear feels like crap-mush if not matched right. [did that, been there on a V2K and a buddies 900 custom] 4.) ride safe, check our air pressure often [cold] look over the bike now and then-[look for pos problems] and enjoy the ride. question? ask away here..
                  Glenn Gale, President 1-26

Comment

Crap, I dropped the pressure to what the previous owner wrote in since I thought 40 was too high.

Comment

Welcome from Minnesota. I run premium in my 1600 and regular in my 800.
                      Bill "TSfan14" Fliehr
                      Apple Valley, MN
                      2007 1600 Nomad

Comment

38 /40 is where most folks run there PSI... 32/36 is too soft. the tire will cup and be trashed in no time. I had 2 tire engineers tell me to read the side wall on any bike tire and both said run what the "Max pressure rating" was. I have 20K on a Cobra Avon on my V2K runs perfect no cupping. all the other bikes at home hear are going great mileage all so... started out the hard way my self.. got 7K on a set of stones [OEM on my 1500] Riped the stones rep a new one at a Kaw dealer ship.. said the tire pressure was to low and did not know why Ma kaw say,s to run it that way. once they cup they are junk, no fixing, just replace with a new/ better tire.

Comment

Front says 40 Max, rear says 43 max

Comment

Sound like good numbers... run them that way.... now some one will say I am full of "BS" but the Metz web page says to add 3 psi in the rear if running 2 up a lot of just "loaded".. but we [Wife and I] get great mileage with "higher PSI numbers" and bike tire,s are not cheap to buy.

Comment

I'm sorry gale, are you saying I'm fine where I'm at or that I should put them at max psi?

Comment

Working...
                              X