Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice please

I'm new to this forum so if i'm doing something wrong, i apologize. I'm looking for advice on the purchase of a new vulcan. I'm 57 and hadn't ridden a bike for about 25 years. I've owned 3 750s in my younger days (norton, suzuki, honda). I'm very interested in the 1700 Nomad, but have bad knees and I'm worried if I'm strong enough to ride it safely. If anyone can offer any opinions, i'd appreciat it. thank you

Re: advice please

Advice? I'm great giving advice, not so good at taking it.

The Nomad is a great bike, I've had two of the 1500 Nomads. However, if they are leaned over on the downhill side, they can be a bit heavy, or to back up if it's slightly downhill. Another suggestion might be one of the Vulcan 900s. They are much lighter, but still do very well on the interstates, with 2 up.

The 900 LT is equipped a lot like the Nomads, except they have leather bags instead of plastic ones. Quite a bit lighter, better gas mileage and certainly powerful enough up to about 75 MHP, that's about when you start to notice the difference between the 900 and a bigger engine.

Comment

I know that the 1700's are considerably lighter than the old 1600's. The 1700 classic I sat on, isn't much heavier than my 900 (as I have it). Or it's just the way they displaced the weight.

If you haven't already, go to the dealers and sit on a couple bikes. The bike will tell you which one is right for you.

Comment

saddle heights being low should help ease keeping the bike upright
        Aloha

Derry ~DaBull~
        Bullock
        Former VRA USA National President
        Former NW Florida Chapter 1-6 President
        Crestview, Florida
        2012 Vulcan Voyager 1700
        (Previous 2005 Vulcan Nomad 1600)

~If you fool with Da Bull...You're gonna get the Horn

Comment

Yeah, they've gotten good at putting the engine weight down low on these bigger motors. The 1700 should feel much heavier than it is. Still a lot of weight to push around if you're not using the motor though.

I agree with Dave. Sit on a Nomad and a 900LT and see which you like better. Seat of the pants will tell you everything. Biggest grin factor wins.
          John Featherlin
          Webmaster vulcanriders.us 2007-2016
          International Chapter Coordinator 2009-2016
          Forum Admin 2007-2016
          USA Chapter Coordinator 2007-2016
          National President 2007-2010
          National Vice President 2006
          National Secretary 2011-2012

Comment

The one thing that every one has left off here is, if it's been 25 years since you last rode, PLEASE do yourself a favor and take a MSF course. This is something EVERYONE should do, and should do refresher courses every once in a while as well. We all manage to gain some bad habits while riding and the MSF course should help correct these bad habits, not to mention, usually a discount on insurance. For more information on finding an MSF course near you, visit http://www.msf-usa.org and click on your state on the map.
            Jim Sloan
            AKA Odinn
            Just outside of Bethlehem, GA
            2003 H-D ElectraGlide Standard

Comment

Originally posted by Odinn View Post
              The one thing that every one has left off here is, if it's been 25 years since you last rode, PLEASE do yourself a favor and take a MSF course. This is something EVERYONE should do, and should do refresher courses every once in a while as well. We all manage to gain some bad habits while riding and the MSF course should help correct these bad habits, not to mention, usually a discount on insurance. For more information on finding an MSF course near you, visit http://www.msf-usa.org and click on your state on the map.
              I'd like to second what Odinn said above. I'm 60 and have been riding off and on since I was 13. I took a looooong break until this past August, when I got my 1600 Classic. During the gap I rode rentals and a relatives bike from time to time. On one of those occaisions I fell victim to fixating on a turn that I went into a bit hot and rode the bike right to that point and off the road. Got very lucky and didn't go down.

When I bought the Classic I took the MSF basic course, thinking it would be a waste of time. Oh, no....it's not. I learned several things, including skills that will keep me from making that mistake again.

It's time very well spent.
              Old Crow (Bob)
              Lexington, KY
              1960 Vespa 150
              1964 Bridgestone 175
              1972 Suzuki GT380
              2005 1600 Classic
              2010 Nomad 1700
              2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S
              Past Kentucky Chapter President
              National Vice President 2012

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"Map.jpg","src":"http:\/\/vulcanriders.us\/forum\/filedata\/fetch?filedataid=6849&type=full"**[/IMG2]

Comment

Roy, I'm new to riding and I bought a used 05 1600 Nomad and I too have bad knee's 7 operations between the two. If the bike goes over at a stop you will have a time getting it up by yourself. But depending how bad your knees are you should go to a dealer and sit on one and maybe if they have one on consignment you will be able to take it out for a spin and see if the 1700 is what you really want. I also recommend taking an MSF course. I hope to have enough scratch to take a course myself by next year at the latest. Good luck with the search for a Vulcan, I love my Nomad.

Comment

I appreciate all the responses.

Comment

Originally posted by roy View Post
                    I'm new to this forum so if i'm doing something wrong, i apologize. I'm looking for advice on the purchase of a new vulcan. I'm 57 and hadn't ridden a bike for about 25 years. I've owned 3 750s in my younger days (norton, suzuki, honda). I'm very interested in the 1700 Nomad, but have bad knees and I'm worried if I'm strong enough to ride it safely. If anyone can offer any opinions, i'd appreciat it. thank you
                    I also have bad knees and I have had back surgery so I know your pain. I bought a 800 Classic, which is an awesome bike. I figured I could start off on the 800 and see how I do with my knees and my back. So far I have not had any problems riding the 800. I will move up to the 1500 Classic after a year of riding the 800. In my mind it's better to buy a used bike for less that way if you do drop it it won't hurt your wallet as bad. Then when you feel that you know your limits and can handle a bigger bike then you can splurge on a new bike. Just my thoughts. Good luck and have fun on the road.
                    Jim "Renegade" Clark

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas J View Post
                      Roy, I'm new to riding and I bought a used 05 1600 Nomad and I too have bad knee's 7 operations between the two. If the bike goes over at a stop you will have a time getting it up by yourself. But depending how bad your knees are you should go to a dealer and sit on one and maybe if they have one on consignment you will be able to take it out for a spin and see if the 1700 is what you really want. I also recommend taking an MSF course. I hope to have enough scratch to take a course myself by next year at the latest. Good luck with the search for a Vulcan, I love my Nomad.
                      Hey Thomas, isn't the MSF course free in your state? I thought it was free everywhere. ??
                      John Featherlin
                      Webmaster vulcanriders.us 2007-2016
                      International Chapter Coordinator 2009-2016
                      Forum Admin 2007-2016
                      USA Chapter Coordinator 2007-2016
                      National President 2007-2010
                      National Vice President 2006
                      National Secretary 2011-2012

Comment

In a lot of states, it's not only costly, but very difficult to find an open slot. It's well worth the time and price, but Iowa certainly needs more instructors.

Now, it costs well over $500 to become certified to teach the safety classes, so instructors and therefore classes, are far too few.

Comment

Roy I had an 06 1600 nomad and have progressed to a 1700 voyager, I have found the voyager to be easier to handle than the nomad. The center of gravity is lower and the handling id much improved in my humble estimation. no knock on the nomad I just wanted more wind protection for the longer rides. both bikes are execellent.
                          Dan
                          PS the 1700 is a handful when pushing it
                          Dan Hermans
                          Vulcan 1700 Voyager Trike

VROC 23134

Comment

Originally posted by Fly View Post
                            In a lot of states, it's not only costly, but very difficult to find an open slot. It's well worth the time and price, but Iowa certainly needs more instructors.

Now, it costs well over $500 to become certified to teach the safety classes, so instructors and therefore classes, are far too few.
                            That's a shame. PA is FREE. Matter of fact, the two of us that finished 1&2 in our class we're asked if we would be interested in being instructors. You start out as a volunteer helper until you get certified. If I had the time I would have done it.

Comment

Wow, out here in California it is 250$ just for the BRC MSF course and the ERC is 150$. I lucked out and got it for free on base, but still, that is a pretty penny. But is worth every penny when you learn the skills needed to be even moderately safe. I took the course and that was literally the first time i had ever sat a bike and started with intentions of riding it.
                              "for those who fight for it, Freedom has a special flavor the Protected never experience"
                              Written by an unkown Marine on an MRE during the Battle of Khe Sahn.

Comment

Working...
                              X