Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings from Portland, OR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings from Portland, OR

Greetings fellow Vulcan riders. I'm hoping to be an asset to the group despite my limited experience!

First a little about me - I've been thinking about a bike purchase for several years now but it never seemed like the right time until last summer. I went through the local TEAM Oregon safety class a couple years back to get my endorsement and had planned to purchase a bike shortly thereafter, but had to settle for a 150cc Chetak scooter for a year or so until the time was right.

Because I am a novice rider I was looking for a bike with medium displacement and when I found a co-worker looking to unload his '05 800 Classic for $2500 I jumped at the chance. Before that I had never even looked at a Vulcan but I was pleased with the styling, condition and the way it handled under my shaky control.

I took it straight to a dealer shop to give it a thorough safety inspection, and a full maintenance service and replaced the tires with brand new Metzeler 880s and began practicing in local parking lots and residential streets in my neighborhood. With the exception of terrorizing a few squirrels, I had no mishaps other than dropping the bike on it's pegs practicing some slow turns. I don't know how I managed to avoid scratching it but that was my first lesson in steering geometry, and how to properly use the clutch!

As Oregon winters and not the best environment for a new rider still learning the performance limits of a new bike, I sadly put her in the garage for the winter and consoled myself with reading David Hough's Proficient Motorcycling books, Mark Zimmerman's Motorcycle Maintenance, and a Clymer shop manual.

I've put about 1800 miles on the bike thus far and am gaining confidence and skill each time I go out.
    Now I am hoping to personalize the bike further with some carefully selected accessories this summer. Looking forward to hearing from other 800 classic owners who have purchased and installed new lighting, grips, windscreens as these are my next purchases.

Well if you made it this far, thanks for reading and I hope to see some of you on the road in the future.
    Andrew Morse
    Portland, OR
    2005 Vulcan 800 Classic
    VROC #31021

Re: Greetings from Portland, OR

Good deal, pretty soon it will feel like you've been riding forever.

Accessorizing, did you get bit by the chrome bug already! LOL
    Half the fun is making it your own. Don't forget to post pics as your ride transforms.

Comment

Will do Dave, thanks.
      Andrew Morse
      Portland, OR
      2005 Vulcan 800 Classic
      VROC #31021

Comment

Andrew, the great thing about the 800 Vulcan is that it's light enough to learn on, and big and powerful enough to head across county. The 800 is also a very reliable bike, as you'll probably hear from out fellow bikers in here that ride the 800.

Welcome aboard the forum, enjoy and feel free to jump in anyplace, we all have things to share.

Comment

Originally posted by librainian View Post
          with some carefully selected accessories this summer.
          theres a method to chrome madness??

Welcome to the group Holler if you need anything!
          Aloha

Derry ~DaBull~
          Bullock
          Former VRA USA National President
          Former NW Florida Chapter 1-6 President
          Crestview, Florida
          2012 Vulcan Voyager 1700
          (Previous 2005 Vulcan Nomad 1600)

~If you fool with Da Bull...You're gonna get the Horn

Comment

Willard: They told me that you had gone totally insane, and that your methods were unsound.
            Kurtz: Are my methods unsound?
            Willard: I don't see any method at all, sir.
            The method is.... first improve safety, then comfort, THEN bling.
            Andrew Morse
            Portland, OR
            2005 Vulcan 800 Classic
            VROC #31021

Comment

Hey Andrew,
              Glad to have you on the forums! You made a wise investment. I love my 800 Classic and would not hesistae to take it cross country in a heartbeat. Check out Tweet's 800 ( http://www.ipass.net/wb4iuy/index1.html ). He has over 120,000 miles on his Classic.

I have done some light accesorising including Hypercharger, VH pipes, luggage rack, bags, etc...

My dad grew up in beaverton, Oregon and I still have plenty of family up in Portland. We visit about once every 3 years or so.

Make sure to keep us updated and dont forget to stop by nebraskavra136.com and give a shout out!
              William "Ryan" Pennington
              Combat Vets Association
              Vulcan Riders Association

1999 Harley Davidson Dyna LowRider

Comment

Originally posted by librainian View Post
                The method is.... first improve safety, then comfort, THEN bling.
                I can shorten that...

First improve safety...then "the grin factor". Comfort, bling and personalization all contribute.

Did you come up with a name for her yet?
                John Featherlin
                Webmaster vulcanriders.us 2007-2016
                International Chapter Coordinator 2009-2016
                Forum Admin 2007-2016
                USA Chapter Coordinator 2007-2016
                National President 2007-2010
                National Vice President 2006
                National Secretary 2011-2012

Comment

Welcome Andrew, you will find many 800 owners here. It's a great bike, I've only had mine a year this past March, but have enjoyed every minute of it.

Nothing like practice, grin factor, comfort, chrome and more bling
                  Debi
                  Former President 10 Years
                  Kentucky Vulcan Riders 1-12
                  Spyder Ryder in 2021!

Comment

Thanks to everyone who responded. I love the bike so far and feel fortunate to have lucked into it as my first. William, I had already bookmarked Tweeks site. He has documented so many of his projects and it's a wealth of info. I liked Wolf's site as well with some interesting info on airbox conversions. Gadget's fixit page was also one of my first bookmarked sites after purchase. John, I haven't arrived at a good name yet - I'm thinking about it though!

I would like to know what people think about chain lubing. I started with your basic chain oil (messy) but one of my books and Wolf's site among others seem to recommend simple WD-40 and a good brushing are preferable. Thoughts?
                    Andrew Morse
                    Portland, OR
                    2005 Vulcan 800 Classic
                    VROC #31021

Comment

Working...
                    X