Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let me introduce myself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let me introduce myself

Well now that I have been validated I figure I should introduce myself.

My name is Ed and I am very new to Motorcycles. I am taking the MSF BRC the first weekend in November but I have already been practicing some around the neighboorhood at very slow speeds. The wife and I have been talking about getting bikes for the last few years and I finally said enough is enough lets just do it.

I bought a Burnt Orange 2009 Vulcan 900 Custom and I must say I love it. My only regret is waiting so long to finally get on a bike.

I currently live in Virginia Beach, however I grew up in Philadelphia, Pa and then spent 17 years in Jacksonville, FL so I pretty much have the East coast covered. I have been in the Navy for the last 22 years so that explains the moves. I noticed that there aren't many members from Virginia on here. We will have to see if we can't fix that.

I look forward to getting to know and hopefully meeting most of you.

Take Care,
    Ed
    Life is too short to drink cheap beer!

Re: Let me introduce myself

Ed, Welcome to the forum! First off, thank you for your service to our country. Secondly, you're right. We have no current chapter in Va. It would be great if you could change that by getting one started. It might seem like a real leap for now, but all it takes is the willingness to meet people, shake hands and talk about the rides you could all take as a group. Things fall into place quickly from there. Please keep in touch here and let us know if we can be of any help.
    Only a biker understands why a dog hangs its head out of the car window!

VRA membership is free! Pass the word! Have all the say as before but at no cost! What a great plan.

Comment

Ed,

Welcome to the forum. Like you, I'm military and in Virginia. I also have a Vulcan 900. You're right, they are really a great bike. I have owned everything from a Honda Cub 50 to a 1980 HD FLD.

Taking the course is an excellant choice (even if it is a DOD requirement). Take it slow and easy and you'll acquire the skills you need in no time. My advice is to learn to ride solo well before you put the bride on the back. A passenger changes the entire dynamics of riding a motorcycle and I'm sure you'll want her to feel confident in your abilities the first time she rides with you.

Good luck and stay safe.

Jon

Comment

Thanks for the comments.

I guess I should have mentioned. The wife is going thru the course with me. She found a barely driven 2006 Suzuki S40 (Savage) and she just thinks its the "cutest" bike soon to be on the road. I am sure later on we will ride 2 up but not right now.
        Life is too short to drink cheap beer!

Comment

My wife had a Savage and loved it. A great bike for those of shorter stature and for a beginner. And you're both doing the best thing ... taking the MSF course. Luckily, here in Pa., you can take the course for free. Everyone that has ever taken it says that it is the best thing to do. Take your time, both of you, to get to know your bikes, your abilities and especially that riding is the ultimate in defensive driving. Never take what a car/truck driver will do for granted. Watch he crazy buggers! LOL And, since you and jtaylor are both in Va. - are you close to one another? Could be the beginning of a Va. chapter.
          Only a biker understands why a dog hangs its head out of the car window!

VRA membership is free! Pass the word! Have all the say as before but at no cost! What a great plan.

Comment

Hey Ed and Jon and everyone else. I'm Mike and I'm also in Virginia, near Tappahannock, Virginia which is probably almost center of Ed and Jon. All three of us are on the coast but it's a pretty good stretch. I have a MySpace page that's gives a little back ground on myself. Checking out the VROC there are a ton of Va. Beach Vulcan Riders in that area and also in Northern Virginia. Living in the sticks, as I do, I always seem to be the one outside looking in. That's cool though, I've been a lone wolf pretty much my entire life. But if you plan some rides maybe we can meet up some time. Colonial Williamsburg is always nice to visit and check MySpace to read about my DelMarVa Bridge run I made one day that was 400 plus miles.
            Riding since 1973.

Comment

Mike,

Williamburg sounds like a good time. I am a member of American Legion Riders, but my post is in Indianapolis, Indiana. I'm currently stationed at Fort McNair, DC. I hope to get more involved with the Legion Riders this year. I just returned from Afghanistan and, as such, did not have the opportunity to do any fun stuff last summer.

My email is jtaylor_us2001@yahoo.com

Jon

Comment

Welcome to all ya'll! Glad to see you found the VRA...great buncha guys here. Look forward to chattin it up here with ya's...and ditto to what has been said concerning learning to ride...slow and easy, defensive - they ARE going to try to run you over...but enough about that....

Again....welcome to the group gang

Derry
                Aloha

Derry ~DaBull~
                Bullock
                Former VRA USA National President
                Former NW Florida Chapter 1-6 President
                Crestview, Florida
                2012 Vulcan Voyager 1700
                (Previous 2005 Vulcan Nomad 1600)

~If you fool with Da Bull...You're gonna get the Horn

Comment

Originally posted by jtaylor_us View Post
                  Mike,

Williamburg sounds like a good time. I am a member of American Legion Riders, but my post is in Indianapolis, Indiana. I'm currently stationed at Fort McNair, DC. I hope to get more involved with the Legion Riders this year. I just returned from Afghanistan and, as such, did not have the opportunity to do any fun stuff last summer.

My email is jtaylor_us2001@yahoo.com

Jon
                  Wow,

I'm a member of American Legion Post 252 and at present am the only rider. What's your calendar looking like for the July Rally in Kentucky? It's going to be tight for me as my oldest son is getting married in May and summer stuff for my other two kids but I'm trying to fit it in as I -64 West is a good piece of highway for me. Hopefully Ed will chime in and the brothers in arms can plan a meet some time in the middle.

Mike
                  Riding since 1973.

Comment

Welcome aboard to all of you. I spent 3 1/2 years at Pax River, with about a year of that at Virginia Beach going to Navy schools.

I dearly love that area, but never had a chance to move back after leaving the Navy. Are the blue craps still as tasty as they were back in the mid-1960s? I'd love to see a chapter there, so I could go visit and have people to show me the best roads and restaurants, so get cracking and start a chapter there.

Comment

Originally posted by Fly View Post
                      Welcome aboard to all of you. I spent 3 1/2 years at Pax River, with about a year of that at Virginia Beach going to Navy schools.

I dearly love that area, but never had a chance to move back after leaving the Navy. Are the blue craps still as tasty as they were back in the mid-1960s? I'd love to see a chapter there, so I could go visit and have people to show me the best roads and restaurants, so get cracking and start a chapter there.
                      The crabs are still great, but the price may blow your mind. In fact I'll have to check the price because when they shot up I stopped buying and that, gosh, has been about 12 years ago. Geez, where did that time go. Back in early 80's it wasn't nothing to just go out and get a bushel and have a sit down crab bash. Then when we moved back to this area, I would get a dozen from time to time and sit and enjoy. I don't know how, but I married a wonderful woman from this area that just hates seafood and so my kids also hate seafood, and sitting down to eat crabs use to freak them out. I've heard crabs are steady now but when they were almost fished out every one caught was shipped to D.C. for big money, and local oysters are rare and we use have people give us quarts of them for Christmas when I was a kid and mom would fry them up and we'd eat dozens and dozens of them. It was great.
                      Riding since 1973.

Comment

When I was 10, my cousin and I were at a biker party in the mountains. We sat there and drooled as this biker chick went through a bag of crabs coated in Old Bay. She shared some with her pet raccoon but never did give us a bite. I don't know if it's Pavlov's Dog theory or what, but to this day, I can't stop drooling if I even catch site of cooked crab with Old Bay on it.
                        John Featherlin
                        Webmaster vulcanriders.us 2007-2016
                        International Chapter Coordinator 2009-2016
                        Forum Admin 2007-2016
                        USA Chapter Coordinator 2007-2016
                        National President 2007-2010
                        National Vice President 2006
                        National Secretary 2011-2012

Comment

To make you drool even further on the crabs in the Chesapeake Bay area. About once a month during crab season, several of us from the shop would go out to the bay on the Pax River station, catch a 55 gallon drum or two full of crabs and start them cooking in a beer, seasoning brew. Couple of hours later, the rest of the shop would show up and we'd have a feast.
                          Also, just outside the base gate, were two bars that had "free crabs" on different nights. Never did completely fill up on them them, there just isn't enough meat for the time it takes to eat them, but they were soooooooooooo good, along with beer on the side.

Comment

D@%! Fly.... My keyboard is soaked! I might have to hit Red Lobster tonight since we don't have any good seafood joints 'round here.
                            John Featherlin
                            Webmaster vulcanriders.us 2007-2016
                            International Chapter Coordinator 2009-2016
                            Forum Admin 2007-2016
                            USA Chapter Coordinator 2007-2016
                            National President 2007-2010
                            National Vice President 2006
                            National Secretary 2011-2012

Comment

Hey, you ought to be here in the Midwest, equal distance from any ocean and really good seafood. Bout the best we can do here is frozen salmon, everything else taste like old fish smells.

Meanwhile, when I lived on Midway Island, we'd go out the ocean going tugboat and fish for tuna on the way out and back in. Of course, the first one caught was eaten within a few minutes by everyone with their own little bottle of sha-shimi (SP?) sauce. I never could manage a taste for raw fish myself.

The next, our crew always claimed and we'd have a fresh tuna BBQ that night, with rice balls and tuna the only course, except for plenty of cold beer. First date with my wife was at one of these, she was a DOD school teacher for the officers children on the island.

Comment

Working...
                              X