Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rush Hour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rush Hour

After last evening, I'm thinking rush hour is no time to be on a motorcycle. I took my bike to the shop for the 6K and 9K mile maintenance since as far as I could tell, no one's ever worked on this machine even though the previous owner claimed otherwise. I knew it would take a while, but I was really hoping they'd be done before rush hour. Granted, rush hour here is pretty tame compared to a larger city, but it's enough to make me dread being on the road then.

As my husband and I drove over to pick up the bike, we wondered which way would be better to come home – city or highway. Neither sounded good to me. He thought city would be better. I didn't like the idea of all that stopping and starting, people rushing through traffic and around corners, not looking as they constantly change lanes and dart through red lights. He thought the slower speeds would be safer. I liked the idea of the highway, with fewer lane changing morons, even though traffic would be heavier and faster.

After picking up the bike, I had to get gas. I couldn't even see any in the tank. That meant a little longer in the city. I definitely picked the wrong gas station, as it is on a curve and I had to turn left across two lanes of traffic. Keeping an eye on oncoming traffic, I'm just about ready to turn when I hear a tremendous squeal behind me. I look in my mirror and there's a giant pickup barreling down on me. Dude skidded into an oncoming lane as I hauled a$$ down the road. I got my gas and drove toward the highway with some trepidation.

The middle lane makes me pretty nervous. People cut in and out, and there's no way of knowing if they know you're there. I try to make my presence known with a blast of my pipes now and then, and I get next to people and look them in the eye. My headlamp is on bright, too. At least in the outside lanes, there's somewhere to go if someone sideswipes you. Ugh.

So what do you all think? Do you stay out of heavy traffic? How do you deal with it?

Re: Rush Hour

One of the most important things is to make sure you're not in anyone's blind spot. Whenever I'm on a multi-lane road I'll adjust my speed and lane position to either move up out of a blind spot or fall back out of a blind spot. Middle lane is bad because you've got folks with blind spots on both sides, and if traffic is heavy enough you may end up in a position where you can't get out of one or the other. Under those circumstances I'm usually in the right or left lane, not center.

When I'm stopped in traffic and the following vehicles the vehicle following me hasn't yet stopped behind me I almost always work the brake lever to blink the brake light.
    Old Crow (Bob)
    Lexington, KY
    1960 Vespa 150
    1964 Bridgestone 175
    1972 Suzuki GT380
    2005 1600 Classic
    2010 Nomad 1700
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S
    Past Kentucky Chapter President
    National Vice President 2012

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"Map.jpg","src":"http:\/\/vulcanriders.us\/forum\/filedata\/fetch?filedataid=6849&type=full"**[/IMG2]

Comment

I hear it all the time - "I'm too scared to ride in traffic." I guess I can understand that, but traffic is there whether I'm riding or driving. Me, I just:
      • get out there unafraid, already expecting someone will try to kill me
      • keep as much distance as I can from everyone, regardless of speed
      • use ALL of the lane I am in for visibility
      • use center lanes for getting to/from the outer and inner lanes only
      • don't let anyone intimate me with their size, speed or need to tailgate
      • watch car/truck wheels in relation to the lines to really see where they are
      • look far ahead for what's coming

Heightened awareness is a requirement for survival, but I think fear is a detriment to safe riding. If one is scared they shouldn't be on two wheels.
      mikewithabike
      Listen to my music HERE
      VROC #29972
      Killing bugs... one at a time
      2012 Vulcan Nomad 1700 - Mine 09/13
      http://www.reverbnation.com/mikehaley

Comment

I try to avoid it, but that isn't always possible. Normally, heavy traffic in Vermont isn't the case, but we get flocks of tourists that can make life "interesting". Lots of them tend to drive like they are still on the Jersey turnpike racing to get to the open toll booth. The locals love riding the center line and some are very happy to play "Chicken" with ya.

I think you are already doing everything you can. It is obvious you are observant and luckily the daydreaming/cellphone texting/dropped my cigarette idiot in the truck didn't get you.

Michael and Bob covered it pretty well. I am waiting to see the results of VRA member "Pretzel" who is installing some safety lighting mod's to his 900. I am seriously considering the flashing head and and brake light mods, and the turn signal 'cancel' mod he is adding. Damn shame that those mod's add up quickly.
        Christian - Vermont -
        sigpic
        "Watch out, you might get what you're after."

Comment

Also you need to be able to swing a bike into an escape route if you have one. Always look for an escape route when you think you may need one. You have to check your own blind spots rather quickly if you ever have to use it. Picking escape routes needs to be almost instantaneous, kind of like a 6th sense.

If needed go to a parking lot and practice quick swerving at city traffic speed. remember you need to swerve twice. Once to avoid and again to get back to straight. Right then left and the other way also.

I do it all the time, as well as braking when I go to the mall. I sometimes put the floor boards on the pavement when doing this. This also gives me a great feel for the bike and reminds me just how heavy it is. Just don't do it in a section where there is a lot of traffic.
          Albie Salsburg (1700 Rider)
          2009 Vulcan Voyager
          V&H Slipons
          Thunder MFG Air Kit
          "Ivan's Re-Flash"

Comment

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. You all are great.

I like the idea of the flashing brake & headlights. I've seen them here and there, and they really get your attention. I practice swerves while I'm on the road. The bike is pretty maneuverable, but practice in a parking lot is pretty good idea.

About 12 hours after I wrote this post about rush hour, my neighbor's brother was killed on his cycle on a rural highway just north of here. Someone cut out in front of him, didn't even look. Really tragic, and so preventable. It sickens.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your neighbor's loss.
              Albie Salsburg (1700 Rider)
              2009 Vulcan Voyager
              V&H Slipons
              Thunder MFG Air Kit
              "Ivan's Re-Flash"

Comment

Sounds like you all should have sat down for dinner in a nice friendly restaurant and let the idiots get home before you ventured out on the roadways.

It is all about risk reduction. I've read that UPS tries to plan their routes where the majority of turns are to the the right. Left turns present more risk than right turns.

Be seen, be heard, be careful.
                '18 Road Glide Special, '18 Moto Guzzi V7III Carbon, '75 KT250 Trials.

Comment

Originally posted by twowheeladdict View Post
                  Sounds like you all should have sat down for dinner in a nice friendly restaurant and let the idiots get home before you ventured out on the roadways.
                  Words to live by!

Comment

My rush hour rules, for what they're worth.

NEVER be in a blind spot for more than a few seconds. Reasoning should be obvious.
                    NEVER tailgate the car in front of you. Every second counts in emergency reaction situations.
                    NEVER ride in the middle lane for more than a few seconds. People in the inside and outside lanes are always looking to move over for some reason.
                    NEVER ride behind a vehicle that blocks your view of the lanes ahead. (Semi, Uhaul, High riding 4x4) If you can at least see through their windows, you can see possible issues ahead.
                    ALWAYS guard/ride the edge of the lane closest to the next lane of active traffic. If someone is moving over, they can see your spot is occupied instead of what might look like an open spot until it's too late. Also, if you do have to react to something, you usually are moving away from that active lane of traffic, and that gives you the rest of your lane plus the shoulder (if applicable) to utilize in need.
                    ALWAYS ride in the same path as one of the tire tracks of the vehicle in front of you. Cage drivers naturally attempt to straddle road debris, etc. when the lanes are packed. If you're in the middle of the lane, in most cases, you will strike that same debris before you can even think about reacting. If they do strike it with their tires, there's a better chance that they can knock it out of your way. See previous rule about NEVER tailgating.

If you're nervous, find one of the slower cars in traffic, then safely settle at a safe distance in FRONT of them. That way, any idiot flying up on your backside has to get through at least 1 ton of vehicle before they plow you (unless it's a Smart car or Prius, LOL). If you have options to avoid rush hour... do so!

I usually ride with my HL on bright, and now have a brake light flasher (also flashes the front signals) to help people take notice, but rush hour is Ca-RAZY! Watch out for multi-taskers, soccer moms and idiot kids on their cell phones, and be safe!
                    Riding Redemption all over Oklahoma... 21,000 miles and counting!
                    sigpic
                    B.A.C.A. Member, Oklahoma Chapter

Comment

Lots of good advice, not much rush hour traffic around my area unless I am heading thru Indy. Last month, I was in the far right lane behind a slower cage and a car behind me just cruising down the road, truck in the middle lane going around when all of a sudden a big 16 wheel cage coming from a on ramp not paying attention started to pull in, I moved over just enough behind the other truck I bet you could not fit a dollar bill between us. Pucker factor was in high gear and it was not my day to meet the maker. WOW
                      SPUTTER
                      03 VULCAN 800 CLASSIC

sigpic May the road rise up to meet you, May the wind always be at your back, May the sun shine warm upon your face, And rains fall soft upon your paths, And may GOD hold you in the palm of his hand.

Comment

Working...
                      X