Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you ride in the wind?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you ride in the wind?

This past week I had the opportunity to ride across Texas to El Paso and into New Mexico. On the way home I experienced 35 MPH cross winds. That got me thinking about how folks handle winds.

I did a little google searching and there were many different strategies with differing results from putting a knee out as far as possible on the side the wind is coming from, to shifting in the seat to move the weight towards the wind.

The problem with these strategies is what happens if the wind is suddenly blocked by an overpass or a semi-truck.

For me the answer was pretty simple. Focus as far down the road as you can and counter steer. It only took very slight inputs to keep the bike tracking down the road. Of course I sometimes felt like a sailboat heeling in the wind. I also accelerated as I passed semi-trucks and prepared for the blast I would feel as I passed the front.

What works for you?
    '18 Road Glide Special, '18 Moto Guzzi V7III Carbon, '75 KT250 Trials.

Re: How do you ride in the wind?

Slow'in down,Those headwinds will toss ya round a bit I let the bike flex keap'in her in check by shifting my weight ...

Comment

counter steer and relax, the more I start fighting it the worse it seems to get.
      Randy - aka racinfan101
      Central IL Chapter 1-39 President
      2024/25 National President

https://www.facebook.com/groups/cent...?ref=bookmarks
      2002 Vulcan Drifter 800, 2010 Vulcan Nomad 1700, 2020 Kawasaki W800. Gone but not forgotten...2008 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2002 Vulcan Drifter 1500.

Comment

Along the lake shore winds can be stiff. I was blow-en across the x-way one day far left to far right not a thing I could do. just happy no one was in my way... I have done the 30+ degree lean in to the wind but its a bitch when it stops... leannnnnnnn- crap all most drop it the next sec. depends on wind speed and the bike- now much surface it catches.... solid H-D rims must be hell in wind.
        Glenn Gale, President 1-26

Comment

I hate riding in windy conditions, especially when there are large gusts of crosswinds. My bike is basically a sail and it will move into the next lane with a hard gust of wind, if I'm not careful.

My strategy is usually to slow down quite a bit and I don't ride the freeway if I can help it. If I have to ride the freeway, I'll be in the slow lane and hug the windward side of the lane.

Kerry

Comment

Ridin in the wind ! Consider yourself a bull ridin cowboy ! Except it ain't 8 seconds ! More like grabbin that by the 30 inch spread out horns "n" rasselin it for ++++++ hrs! Cowboys ain't not anything on us ! The real problems are gusts & cutoffs ! You can be almost comfortable kinda almost leanin against the wind, then, bam, it cuts off, and it,s an oh shit moment that brings you back to reality ! The worst trucks to watch for are the trucks with no air-dam on top pulling a BOX trailer ! They have an air wall from hell behind them ! My son is the truck-maint. super at Ben E. Keith & I give him the word all the time! That's the config. of all their trucks. To me the worst to follow are the cement trucks and tank trailers that have that cone shape on back ! They pull a tornado twister (because of the shape) behind them ! Stay back , pass or avoid them.

Comment

Working...
            X