Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting 9mm Shells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting 9mm Shells

At the local farm store, I found a very good buy on some 9mm Luger shells, only $11.95 for a box of 50.

Went to the range today for some practice and put 100 of them through the pistol. All in all, about 8 of them miss fired, on the first hit. A 2nd pull of the trigger did fire them all.

After the 1st one, I'd looked at the firing pin hit on the primer and saw it was a bit less deep than on other shells. These are steel cases and the hip of the shell on the miss fires seemed to be a bit thinner than on the other shells. Perhaps this is the reason.

The brand name is"Brown Bear" and they are from Russia. They group well enough, but with the miss fires, they certainly will not be in the pistol, except for the target range. I want something a lot more sure of shooting the first time for protection, or for hunting.

Re: Interesting 9mm Shells

Did you try looking down the barrel as you pull the trigger? There might be an obstruction.
    John Featherlin
    Webmaster vulcanriders.us 2007-2016
    International Chapter Coordinator 2009-2016
    Forum Admin 2007-2016
    USA Chapter Coordinator 2007-2016
    National President 2007-2010
    National Vice President 2006
    National Secretary 2011-2012

Comment

i bought some shells for my 45 that was like that, for just shooting around in the back yard, some fired some didnt. i try to keep one good box of shells for special occasions (self defence, hehe) and cheaper ones for fun. it's hard when every time you pull the trigger you spend 1.50 ...

Randy
      07 Classic 1500
      04 Mean Streak 1600
      The destination is merely a by-product of the journey.

Comment

i know what you mean i love to shoot but the price for ammo is getting out of hand. when i take the pistols out i shoot 3-4hundred rounds.you almost need to take a loan out just to have fun. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Slicks View Post
          Did you try looking down the barrel as you pull the trigger? There might be an obstruction.
          My eyesight might not be good enough Slicks, can you do that for me?

Comment

I try and stay away from the Russian ammo. Wolf always seems to leave my weapons extra dirty. I still think even with the 100%+ increase in prices the best target ammo is good old Winchester white box.

Comment

Originally posted by azpostal View Post
              I try and stay away from the Russian ammo. Wolf always seems to leave my weapons extra dirty. I still think even with the 100%+ increase in prices the best target ammo is good old Winchester white box.
              Good thought on that, I had not considered it. However, I put 100 rounds through it, so I'd have cleaned it regardless. It has been so many, many years since I've shot, or even owned a pistol, I just need a lot of practice so I can hit the inside of a barn. I'll keep in mind what you said, and use this ammo only when I plan to clean the gun afterwards.

Comment

My 45 doesn't like Wolf ammo, but my AK loves it as well as the Brown Bear and Silver Bear (all Russian Ammo). My Mosin Nagant 91/53 has shot all kinds of ammo, Bulgarian, Yugoslavian, Russian, and had no issues with any of it, including some ammo boxed in 1958, but all ammo for it is corrosive and requires cleaning even if just one round fired. My 44 mag Taurus Raging Bull revolver will fire just about anything I put in it.
                Jim Sloan
                AKA Odinn
                Just outside of Bethlehem, GA
                2003 H-D ElectraGlide Standard

Comment

Originally posted by Odinn View Post
                  My 45 doesn't like Wolf ammo, but my AK loves it as well as the Brown Bear and Silver Bear (all Russian Ammo). My Mosin Nagant 91/53 has shot all kinds of ammo, Bulgarian, Yugoslavian, Russian, and had no issues with any of it, including some ammo boxed in 1958, but all ammo for it is corrosive and requires cleaning even if just one round fired. My 44 mag Taurus Raging Bull revolver will fire just about anything I put in it.
                  I agree with you. Only my Mini-14 likes Wolf ammo. Man does it like to get dirty. Other than that I refuse to use it in any thing else.

Comment

Originally posted by ibeme151 View Post
                    it's hard when every time you pull the trigger you spend 1.50 ...
                    I hunt/target shoot with a .257 mby mag rifle. Box of 20 rounds is $80. Everytime I squeeze the trigger, I count by fours.......

Comment

Odinn! How the hell are ya?

Another problem ammo I've found are the aluminum case kind jam in my 380 every time. got so pissed off I gave the other half of the box away.

If you practice with one load and save the more expensive ones for 'special occasions' you will probably miss when it counts.....

Reload your own - only cost effective way to have quality for a decent price.
                      Papa Bear
                      2007 Vulcan Classic LT 900, Maroon & Silver
                      VROC # 31434
                      God's Great, Beer is Good, and People are Crazy

Comment

Just picked up some 9mm Luger Blazers brand, 115 grain at the Scheels in Cedar Falls, IA this past weekend for the every day price of $9.99 / 50 count. Been getting Federal, same grain, same quanity at the local WalMart for $10.49 a box. Thats what is going on around these parts anyways.
                        sigpic
                        KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN!!

Rick 'pasn' Hayden
                        Treasurer-Greater IA Chapter

Comment

Yep Rick, the Remington 9mm shells at the local farm store is somewhere around $12.00 for 50. I've been doing a bit of shooting lately and can now hit the barn walls when inside the barn.

Comment

Working...
                          X