Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Computer Gurus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Gurus?

Home computer running XP serv packII, when I type anything like a reply to an email or a reply on a thread my actual letter posting lags behind my keystrokes by several seconds. I'm not a fast 3 fingered typist, maybe 10wpm, at best.
    McAfaee and Lavasoft find nothing amiss or extra. If I reboot it does not do it as badly for about 5 minutes. Any guess?

Re: Computer Gurus?

Sounds like you've got one, or more, programs running that zap a lot of CPU time, or you're short of memory. I don't think that XP had it, but you can download one of those free programs that show memory usage, CPU usages, etc. This might give you a clue.

Comment

bob if you hit alt, ctrl, and delete at the same time a window will pop up where you can see the cpu usage(under performance). also download cc cleaner, it's free and it does good to run it from time to time. also you can find your prefech file and delete everything in it (dont worry it want affect anything bad). lastly hit start, run, type in msconfig. and there you can turn off unwanted start up programs. hope this helps.

Randy
      07 Classic 1500
      04 Mean Streak 1600
      The destination is merely a by-product of the journey.

Comment

Win XP has the task manger if its XP home use ctrl+alt+delete will give you the task manger. look at your performances firs to see if the cpu usage is at 100% if so click on the processes and sort it by cpu this will tell you what is eating up your cpu most likely it either spyware or malware. Try booting to safe mode and run you AV to see if it finds anything most spyware and malware can be hard to find in regular mode.
        2005 Vulcan 800A
        PA 1-52 - South Central PA VRA

"A wasted youth is better by far Then a wise and productive old age"

Comment

Originally posted by ibeme151 View Post
          bob if you hit alt, ctrl, and delete at the same time a window will pop up where you can see the cpu usage(under performance). also download cc cleaner, it's free and it does good to run it from time to time. also you can find your prefech file and delete everything in it (dont worry it want affect anything bad). lastly hit start, run, type in msconfig. and there you can turn off unwanted start up programs. hope this helps.
          what he said.

msconfig will fix it if you can find out what "IT" is. Using msconfig you can block what programs start up when Windows starts.

(I didn't know you were so technically inclined Randy)
          John Featherlin
          Webmaster vulcanriders.us 2007-2016
          International Chapter Coordinator 2009-2016
          Forum Admin 2007-2016
          USA Chapter Coordinator 2007-2016
          National President 2007-2010
          National Vice President 2006
          National Secretary 2011-2012

Comment

Originally posted by Slicks View Post
            what he said.

msconfig will fix it if you can find out what "IT" is. Using msconfig you can block what programs start up when Windows starts.

(I didn't know you were so technically inclined Randy)
            Nothing appears to be hogging, when McAfee is turned off it of course drops from this list but machine does not respond any faster or better.Long ago I turned off everything showing in msconfig/startup. Takes long time to initialize an app after a reboot but it boots almost as fast as you can sit down
            Last edited by Bob 800A; 02-18-2010, 11:51 AM.

Comment

John,
              sometimes i even surprise myself, , and the wife, kids, brothers, and so on..... .lol..

Bob, one more thing to check. are your fans all working? if they arent this could be your problem- when it gets hot the cpu slows down.

Randy
              07 Classic 1500
              04 Mean Streak 1600
              The destination is merely a by-product of the journey.

Comment

Working...
              X