Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slow Internet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow Internet

Yesterday, every site that I logged into, seemed very slow, thought maybe I had picked up some spyware or a virus.

Today, the whole internet is at a crawl, most probably due to the horrible situation in Haiti, and the resultant necessity of using the internet to provide communications, when the normal voice communication systems are down.

If that's the reason, I will certainly not complain, but only hope that more aid may reach that small island. They don't have the fuel to refuel aircraft, so aid cannot be flown in. The ports were damaged, so aid is going to be very slow from shipping. The news reports show a US aircraft carrier in very close, with helicopters, so aid may be flown in, very good news.

Re: Slow Internet

more people online at the same time makes a huge differance. every neighborhood has it's own server (per-provider) that the area uses (that everyones linked too). when all your neighbors are online it will slow your connection down.

i hope all the best for the people of Haiti, it's a horrible thing that happened.

Randy
    07 Classic 1500
    04 Mean Streak 1600
    The destination is merely a by-product of the journey.

Comment

Try advance systemcare free, it is free software that works. I have it on my system.
      Here is a link to it.
      http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=5927
      sigpic

Comment

Based on some of the issues you've been having with DNS errors and the like, I'd be more inclined to think that the problem is local to your PC or local network. It's possible, if you have cable Internet, that your shared connection with the neighborhood is overloaded with users but unlikely.

The next time sites are loading slowly, do an Internet bandwidth speed test. I use both of the following:

http://infospeed.verizon.net/speedtest/speedtest50k.asp
        http://speedtest.net/

You should definitely be getting better than 1mb downloads speeds with cable and 1mb should load websites quickly.

I think you should break down and reinstall your PC from scratch.
        John Featherlin
        Webmaster vulcanriders.us 2007-2016
        International Chapter Coordinator 2009-2016
        Forum Admin 2007-2016
        USA Chapter Coordinator 2007-2016
        National President 2007-2010
        National Vice President 2006
        National Secretary 2011-2012

Comment

Mea Culpa, I'd forgotten about a 2 2/1 hour video I'd downloaded for our local city council. Again, I've hit the bandwidth allowed for satellite, without paying an additional fee.
          Since I've taken a few days off from doing things that require huge up/downloads, it only seemed the whole internet had slowed down, and I blamed the problems on the while net, especially satellite, on the problems in Haiti.

Last night, I finally went through the onerous task of calling tech support in India to upgrade for the rest of the month. The internet has smoothed out and now running at normal speed. Hard to think back with I upgraded from a 110 baud to 300 Bps modem.

Comment

Working...
          X