Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Olympics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympics

Specifically, the biathlon. Listening to both the men and women shooting, it sure soudns like a 22 rifle, however the ejected casings look far longer than even a 22 Long rifle casing.

However, specs for the max velocity seems to be below 1100 fps and lower than the speed of sound, which would indicate a 22 short. Does anyone know for sure.

Regardless, watching them shoot offhand, after skying that hard, makes me wonder how they hit anything.

On the side, it been a great Olympics so far, even though I have been disappointing at some of the outcomes. Our US athletes, even when not winning, have done exceedingly well. Of course, the US hockey team won 3 to 1, that is always good.

Re: Olympics

The biathlete carries the small bore rifle, which weighs at least 3.5 kilograms (7.7 lb), including ammunition in magazines on her/his back during the race. The rifles use .22 LR ammunition and are bolt action or Fortner (straight-pull bolt) action.

The target range shooting distance is 50 metres (160 ft). There are five circular targets to be hit in each shooting round. When shooting in the prone position the target diameter is 45 millimetres (1.8 in), when shooting in the standing position the target diameter is 115 millimetres (4.5 in). On all modern biathlon ranges, the targets are self-indicating, in that they flip from black to white when hit, giving the biathlete as well as the spectators instant visual feedback for each shot fired.
    Jim Sloan
    AKA Odinn
    Just outside of Bethlehem, GA
    2003 H-D ElectraGlide Standard

Comment

it was cool to watch and hard to believe they could control thier breathing like that...
      Aloha

Derry ~DaBull~
      Bullock
      Former VRA USA National President
      Former NW Florida Chapter 1-6 President
      Crestview, Florida
      2012 Vulcan Voyager 1700
      (Previous 2005 Vulcan Nomad 1600)

~If you fool with Da Bull...You're gonna get the Horn

Comment

This is the rifle they are using.

http://www.eberlestock.com/Biathlon%20Stocks.htm
        Jim Sloan
        AKA Odinn
        Just outside of Bethlehem, GA
        2003 H-D ElectraGlide Standard

Comment

Odinn, thanks for posting the info that I was too lazy to look up.

All the athletes at the Olympics are truly amazing people, this is just one of my favorite events. It's good to see someone from the US finally making a good showing in the event.

Comment

Everone in my area was routing for Erin Hamil in the Luge, but she didn't place well. She lives just a few miles from my town. We all wish her luck in the future though.
            Albie Salsburg (1700 Rider)
            2009 Vulcan Voyager
            V&H Slipons
            Thunder MFG Air Kit
            "Ivan's Re-Flash"

Comment

There are so many of the Winter Olympic sports that we here in the US have never really financially supported. This makes it difficult for our athletes to support themselves while doing the large amount of training that is necessary to be competitive.

Anyone with the guts to get on one of those flimsy contraptions and go down a hill at 90+ MPH, sure gets my respect. Hopefully, Ms Hamil got some experience that will help her in another 4 years.

Comment

I was never in the winter olympics biathalon, but I have been known to ride my Vulcan for 10 to 12 hours and stopping periodically to shoot the sh!t along the way. Even after a full day of riding I'm able to control my breathing enough to eat, drink and shoot the breeze for another couple hours. Do I get a gold, silver or bronze?
                Only a biker understands why a dog hangs its head out of the car window!

VRA membership is free! Pass the word! Have all the say as before but at no cost! What a great plan.

Comment

Originally posted by scpavra1 View Post
                  I was never in the winter olympics biathalon, but I have been known to ride my Vulcan for 10 to 12 hours and stopping periodically to shoot the sh!t along the way. Even after a full day of riding I'm able to control my breathing enough to eat, drink and shoot the breeze for another couple hours. Do I get a gold, silver or bronze?
                  ROTFLMAO That must be the "sore ass/windbag biathalon"
                  Albie Salsburg (1700 Rider)
                  2009 Vulcan Voyager
                  V&H Slipons
                  Thunder MFG Air Kit
                  "Ivan's Re-Flash"

Comment

Did anyone watch the snowboarding last night? Shawn White was on fire for the USA, and took home gold again this year. that last trick he did was awesome.

Comment

The things they can do on their boards is amazing. My favorite, though, is the downhill race. The speeds they reach is something to watch. They look to be right at the ragged edge of control the whole way down. And when they lose it......OUCH!!
                      Old Crow (Bob)
                      Lexington, KY
                      1960 Vespa 150
                      1964 Bridgestone 175
                      1972 Suzuki GT380
                      2005 1600 Classic
                      2010 Nomad 1700
                      2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S
                      Past Kentucky Chapter President
                      National Vice President 2012

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"Map.jpg","src":"http:\/\/vulcanriders.us\/forum\/filedata\/fetch?filedataid=6849&type=full"**[/IMG2]

Comment

Isn't it amazing how much higher he went than any of the other competitors. I agree that his last trick was awesome. Did you hear when he was talking with his coach, and his coach said he could just ride right done the middle of the half-pipe and still win. I'm gald that he instead chose to put on such a display.

Innovation isn't dead in the US of A, yet.

Comment

I watched the snowboarding last night. All I can say is WOW. It is amazing what these guys can do. Yes his last trick, the double mcdaddy or whatever the heck he called it, was something that puts a whole new perspective to the sport. The news here was having a field day with the foul language his coach used that was caught by NBC while talking to White.

Bob Mitchell, I also like the downhill. The ladies yesterday were just awsome. I was glad to see Vonn get a gold. I think I heard them say they were reaching speeds of around 80 mph. Thats insane on a pair of skis. Some of the wrecks them ladies took ... I know I would have to be carried off lol
                          sigpic
                          Rick "Groundhog" Hadley
                          CHVRA President
                          Charlotte Chapter 1-7
                          www.charlottevra.com
                          Facebook Link

Comment

Working...
                          X