Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crappy Kawasaki Bikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crappy Kawasaki Bikes

I swear that tomorrow I'm going shopping for a bike that will last, maybe get a good deal on a Harley.

With about 18,000 miles, the 900C actually has had to have several of the rocker shims replaced. I've even had to wash it a couple of times and adjust the headlight housing for correct light. Not to mention having to change the oil and filter several times, heck, I've even replaced both tires.

Even the Concours, broke the speedo cable on the way home from the rally. Damned thing only had 88,000 on it. Not to mention having to replace the radiator fan this Spring with one from Ebay. Oh yea, and that rock that scarred the forks required me to polish the forks and replace the fork seals and oil. I've got more than $150 in replacement parts on the Connie and it's only got 88,000 miles on it. It has cost a lot more in replacement parts than that rock I keep in the front yard. Yep, might just have to replace both the bikes with something that will last.

Seriously, after replacing so many cables on the Vulcans, I ordered a speedo cable for the Connie just after I bought it and have been carrying it around for 80,000 miles or so. Just hope it hasn't been damaged from riding so many miles in the hard bags.

Hope you enjoy my little attempt at humor.

Re: Crappy Kawasaki Bikes

Good one, nothing like a Vulcan.
    Debi
    Former President 10 Years
    Kentucky Vulcan Riders 1-12
    Spyder Ryder in 2021!

Comment

Shoulda got the big vulcan. Hydraulic valves. No speedo cables.
      '18 Road Glide Special, '18 Moto Guzzi V7III Carbon, '75 KT250 Trials.

Comment

88,000 miles? It looked brand new at the rally...
        Steven "Jester" Carr
        President
        Northwest Ohio VRA
        Chapter 1-19
        Napoleon, Ohio
        2009 Vulcan 1700 Nomad
        VROC #31961

Comment

I really liked the optional reserve fuel tank. Came in handy.
          Albie Salsburg (1700 Rider)
          2009 Vulcan Voyager
          V&H Slipons
          Thunder MFG Air Kit
          "Ivan's Re-Flash"

Comment

Dang you had me going for a sec! As a new Vulcan owner I was all worried for a bit!
            Randy - aka racinfan101
            Central IL Chapter 1-39 President
            2024/25 National President

https://www.facebook.com/groups/cent...?ref=bookmarks
            2002 Vulcan Drifter 800, 2010 Vulcan Nomad 1700, 2020 Kawasaki W800. Gone but not forgotten...2008 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2002 Vulcan Drifter 1500.

Comment

In all honestly our bikes have just has many problems as any other out there. and we spend no more or less money on our custom parts then others do. We can joke all we want about HD costing more. Our chrome costs just as much as theirs, except they have 10x the options then we do.

At this point and time all Mfg's produce a great bike. What it boils down to is when and who made it. Was it made on second shift on Friday, by a guy ready for a beer. Or that guy who had a bad weekend come Monday morning. Cars, bikes and parts for either fall into the same category, some are made correctly and some are made by dumb asses.

I've put a ton of money in my Vulcan, including replacing my motor a couple years ago. but i wouldn't trade it for anything else out there.

Comment

I fell for it too Fly. And I don't know Bignastie but a guy I know who just bought a used HD softail classic had to replace the regulator in the first week. It may have been just pure bad luck but it isn't the first time I have heard about things like this. There is something to what you said about time and day of the week, but I kinda think the metric's have the edge on reliability. Yeah, I am probably biased and am pretty ignorant about most things motorcycle. Still, I bet it would be harder to find a HD rider who has had the same luck as Fly has had with his Kawi. Not to mention the thousands of extra dolllars you need to cough up for the bike just so you can join the local HOG chapter and festoon yourself with HD hats, gloves, vests, boots, sunglasses, wallets, t-shirts, and what else...condoms? Dentures? bedsheets? If they don't make 'em yet, wait. They will.
                Christian - Vermont -
                sigpic
                "Watch out, you might get what you're after."

Comment

Guy in my chapter is replacing the same part on a Victory he just got a little over a week ago. I think it is just a run luck, some get a good back and some don't. I have seen where two people have pretty much bought the same bike. and one have issues while the other doesn't.

My FIL's HD has close to 60,000+ miles and has not had any problems. I'm am over 70,000 miles on my 03 Classic 1600. With no major issues, other then third gear going out. So i replaced the whole the motor, and fixed any and all problems. not to mention the motor had around 20,000 miles less then mine at the time.

I work for Autozone part time, and see it all of the time with our parts. Some are good and some are junk. Side by side they look the same, feel the same and heck maybe even smell the same. But one works and the other doesnt. both brand new off the shelf.

Comment

Yeah, you would know better than me. Here is a dumb example of something like what you are saying. I have bought about 322 X Box 360's for my kids. (seems like that many) We take care of them, keep them clean, and put the discs away when not using them. Still, the &%#$'ing things break every 5-6 months. My oldest boys says his buddies treat theirs like soccer balls and you know what? They just keep plugging along. I think you are right. Half the time you is either lucky, or you ain't.
                    Christian - Vermont -
                    sigpic
                    "Watch out, you might get what you're after."

Comment

Yea aint that some BS for you. You try and take care of something and it still breaks down. i have seen the example of them being used like a soccer ball, or leaving them on for days at a time. and they keep on kicking.

Comment

If your FIL could just keep his shifter in tact!!!!
                        Albie Salsburg (1700 Rider)
                        2009 Vulcan Voyager
                        V&H Slipons
                        Thunder MFG Air Kit
                        "Ivan's Re-Flash"

Comment

88,000 miles ,Thats all that bike isn't even broke in yet , so if you want I'll take them off your hands and finish braken in, just thought I'd offer.
                          Every day is a holiday when you love your job,And if you don't you must live in a nightmare.

Comment

No thanks Stump, figured I'd keep it for another 100,000, then think about trading it in.

Actually, it turns out is wasn't a broken cable, but the speedo drive on the wheel. Got one coming from a 1500 Nomad. Should work just fine.

Comment

I know what ya'll are talking about....after 73,000 miles on my 03 Nomad I sold it

.....and bought an 07 Nomad....just a suka for punishment I guess.
                              Kevin "Bear" Kessler
                              Earl of Sandwich Heir of BLUE
                              Email frogsfl@yahoo.com
                              Lakeland, Florida

Comment

Working...
                              X