Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I get my bike to the rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I get my bike to the rally

True story. My friend (who rides a Harley) bought two tickets to the Ga HOG rally coming up in two weeks. He and I were planning on going, but a few days ago his boss told him he has to go to China to resolve some issues with one of their manufacturers. Needless to say I don't want to go without him, so he told me to give the tickets away.

I know some folks that have Harley's so I offered them the tickets. The first question was "How do we get our bikes there?" The rally is a whopping 3-3.5 hours away. I almost hit the floor. I told them "Nevermind".

I sure am glad I made the right move and bought a Kaw.
    sigpic

Re: How do I get my bike to the rally

That is absolutely hillarious but so true. My husband and I rode out to Sturgis this year and last year for a few days at the rally. I would dare to guess more harleys were trailered out there than were riden. My husband actually bought a T-shirt last year that says "I rode mine to Sturgis".

Comment

Unfortunately, Sturgis Bike Week has largely become Sturgis Trailer Week. People, and not just Harley riders, coming by trailer from only a hundred miles or so.

But then, there are the two guys I camped beside one time several years ago. Man and his son rode two 1940 something Harley up from Florida, took them a week. They'd bring out the tools and nuts and bolts every morning, then ride all day. These were true bikers and Harley riders, and both rather well off as financial partners.

Comment

Hey, if I had as much money as some of those folks have in their bikes I wouldn't want to be wearing them out droning down the interstate. Plus, some of those bikes aren't comfortable for the long haul. Now trailering a touring bike is a whole different story.
        '18 Road Glide Special, '18 Moto Guzzi V7III Carbon, '75 KT250 Trials.

Comment

The TRAILER BABY trend is one that saddens me greatly. I noticed it more this year than most at some of the bike rally's I went to. For the past 7 years or so I have attended the HAZEN rally in PA, put on by the ABATE of PA. I called it one of the best 'old time' biker rallys where everyone rode in and enjoyed a weekend of partying. They even had a rule that 4 wheelers could go in, but not be moved while inside and if it left, it left till the party was over. This year, in the same spot I've used for years there were so many cars there were no room for bikes or tents to be setup. Everywhere I went there were more cars than bikes. I told them at the rally meeting that if they want people like me to continue to come, they should put a set of posts up wide enough for a bike/trike but way too narrow for a car. If you can't get it through the posts, it don't come in. PERIOD. That was one of the best things about the KSL when I've been there, it's about MOTORCYCLE camping. Sure there were cars and campers etc there, but one glance around told you what it was all about. I miss that nowadays.
          Allen Featherlin
          Party Crasher and furr-flie drinker extrordinaire

Comment

On our 33 day tour of the west we seen more harleys on trailers than on the road. My wife asked me why do they trailer their bike I said because they were harleys and would,nt find enough bars to stop at.
            dan
            Dan Hermans
            Vulcan 1700 Voyager Trike

VROC 23134

Comment

Ha! I have seen a bunch of HDs on trailers...not many others(?) I can ALMOST understand it if you are limited on time and its a LONG ride to get there....this is just logistics....but if you have time then why would you not ride...Posers.....

Luckily i hang out with riders...both here local, and here on the forum (i mean c'mon, even the Victory riders rode to our rally
              Aloha

Derry ~DaBull~
              Bullock
              Former VRA USA National President
              Former NW Florida Chapter 1-6 President
              Crestview, Florida
              2012 Vulcan Voyager 1700
              (Previous 2005 Vulcan Nomad 1600)

~If you fool with Da Bull...You're gonna get the Horn

Comment

Mine has been on the back of a truck twice. First time was when it was delivered, the second after my wreck. I vowed to never let it be trailer-cuffed again. If any of ya watched me do the stupid hotwing challenge, you'll know the pain I was in. One of the guys there brought his truck (non-biker, but good buddy). My guys said that I should put the bike on his truck and ride back. I said F that and that they could go on without me, I knew the road. They stayed, and I rode back despite the pain.

I bought it to ride, and to look pretty, but never just look pretty.
                sigpic
                Tim Dull II
                President, Chapter 1-17, Laurel Highlands VRA www.lhvra.org

Comment

The last time I had a bike on the back of a truck was when I moved my Honda 750k and my Sportster (along with everything else I owned) from MO to PA in '97. The only time I can EVER remember trucking/trailering a bike to go to an event I had two Sportsters in the back of my Chevy truck and 4 people in the standard cab driving 4 hours to a good brother's funeral on a damned cold October day. It wasn't an enjoyable trip, but we (along with over a hundred others) weren't about to let our brother down.
                  sigpic

Former:
                  2002 1500 Vulcan Nomad
                  2003 1500 Vulcan carbed Classic
                  1987 Yamaha FZR 1000 Genesis
                  1979 Honda CB 750
                  1978 Honda CB 750
                  1980 Harley-Davidson XLH ironhead Sportster

Comment

I enjoy riding not pulling my bike on a trailer.
                    Last edited by tarheel; 09-01-2011, 06:21 PM. Reason: I couldn't follow the comment ahead of mine with the joke I typed in. That would have been in poor taste.
                    Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul.
                    Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Never had a bike on a trailer or truck.
                      Albie Salsburg (1700 Rider)
                      2009 Vulcan Voyager
                      V&H Slipons
                      Thunder MFG Air Kit
                      "Ivan's Re-Flash"

Comment

even the Victory riders rode to our rally [/quote]

The HD are always getting work done on them. The Victory even had that problem but still was rode every where.
                        Mike
                        SDS U.S Army (RETIRED)
                        "Scorpion"

Comment

Hell, I rode the damn bike without a damn clutch to get it fixed. I had my old FXRT break down on my on 95 once and I guy in a PU truck offered to tow me to the shop about 5 miles up the road w/ a tow cable.. NOT. I did let him drag me there tho.. I got the bike in neutral and grabbed ahold of a 2x4 in a stake pocket and let him pull up the road that way.. had to stop a few times when my grip slipped, but it still didnt go IN the truck. hehe I'm pretty sure I was 5'11" before that...
                          Allen Featherlin
                          Party Crasher and furr-flie drinker extrordinaire

Comment

Its going to be a nice day today. I think I'll put the Harley on the trailer and go for a ride.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TiM View Post
                              Mine has been on the back of a truck twice. First time was when it was delivered, the second after my wreck. I vowed to never let it be trailer-cuffed again. If any of ya watched me do the stupid hotwing challenge, you'll know the pain I was in. One of the guys there brought his truck (non-biker, but good buddy). My guys said that I should put the bike on his truck and ride back. I said F that and that they could go on without me, I knew the road. They stayed, and I rode back despite the pain.

I bought it to ride, and to look pretty, but never just look pretty.
                              No man left behind, no matter how silly he looked...
                              We do have plans likely next summer to trailer the bikes to my daughter's in Orlando, then ride with them down to Key West, but that is just to maximize the time in KW with a 10 day trip.
                              "I rode my motorcycle to the trailer rally"
                              I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead....
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X