Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lady rider from PA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lady rider from PA

Congrats on the new bike. When my wife got her license she would ride with me driving her bike to a vacant parking lot and srarted her off the same way she did at the riding course and soon had her doing some big figure 8's. we did it for about an hour and after two of these sessions she felt confident to take to the street. She was 60 then and never rode a bike. She has since travelled across the U S A twice and hasn't slowed down yet. I'm sure your husband will do a good job with your skill and confidence.
    sigpicDan Denney
    President
    Fort Worth 1-25
    Old bikers don't grow grey, they turn chrome.

Comment

Welcome from west MI.. I got my wife started back in 04 she now has 3 bikes at home and was had some of the biggest bad a## bikes out there. had as small as a 650 up to the kaw big boy 2000 seen speeds of 140+ on a Honda and been comply air born [both tire off the ground] on 1500 ! loves her bikes.. ride safe and tell your ins company that you did the safety course.. you may get an discount on your rates.
      Glenn Gale, President 1-26

Comment

Originally posted by Pops View Post
        Congrats on the new bike. When my wife got her license she would ride with me driving her bike to a vacant parking lot and srarted her off the same way she did at the riding course and soon had her doing some big figure 8's. we did it for about an hour and after two of these sessions she felt confident to take to the street. She was 60 then and never rode a bike. She has since travelled across the U S A twice and hasn't slowed down yet. I'm sure your husband will do a good job with your skill and confidence.
        I love it! No reason why anyone can't learn anytime!
        I do plan to do something similar once I get my license. Once I complete the MSF course in 2 weeks, I'll have an idea just how ready I think I will be on my own bike. I know I will practice first in vacant parking lots like your wife.
        We had been contemplating picking up an extremely cheap smaller bike for me to practice with after the course, or for that matter even a scooter (just for balance sake even), but I don't know how that's going to shake out.
        But the engine guard will go on the minute I take to the streets or parking lots on my own bike.

Comment

Originally posted by ggale View Post
          Welcome from west MI.. I got my wife started back in 04 she now has 3 bikes at home and was had some of the biggest bad a## bikes out there. had as small as a 650 up to the kaw big boy 2000 seen speeds of 140+ on a Honda and been comply air born [both tire off the ground] on 1500 ! loves her bikes.. ride safe and tell your ins company that you did the safety course.. you may get an discount on your rates.
          Awesome! What bike does she ride now?
          I read about the 2000! I think Kawasaki top ends at 1700 now, right?
          I'll definitely tell the insurance I completed the course.

Comment

Regarding MSF, I am doing my skills test separately.
            I am fine with the written portion and take the test tomorrow.
            But the range time was a pain in the butt. It was obvious that the other people all had loads more riding time! Some even came on their own bikes. They are just there to pass the test in that venue vs. the DMV, plus they don't have to use their own bikes. And these all were the ones at the range time. I dropped the bike once and that's when the frustration started and I realized that this is not the right match with all other participants way ahead of me. It's supposed to be a beginner class and I was truly the only beginner. I found it very unfair.
            It was a mutual decision that I will do the actual riding skills portion of the course separate. It's letting go of the clutch too fast or not using it when I brake that is tripping me up. Plus I had a hard time locating the gear shift lever. That's why I dropped the bike-I looked down to try to find it in the gear shift exercise.
            I have no issue that this is my current status. Rome wasn't built in a day and my riding a bike isn't either. I just now want to somehow get experience before heading back to the skills time and I know where the issues are. If I could somehow be able to somehow get a cheap 5 speed w/ clutch work dirt bike even and practice in the huge cemetery near my house (no formal riding places close enough to me) that would be great. I would have plenty of paved road room and grass on the side. Plus, I could literally practice in my own backyard a little bit -perhaps "just enough".

Comment

Welcome to the forum from Minnesota. Goodluck on your course and enjoy the ride. I hope we will see you next year at the rally.
              Bill "TSfan14" Fliehr
              Apple Valley, MN
              2007 1600 Nomad

Comment

good luck on your course....dont get discouraged....you got this
                Aloha

Derry ~DaBull~
                Bullock
                Former VRA USA National President
                Former NW Florida Chapter 1-6 President
                Crestview, Florida
                2012 Vulcan Voyager 1700
                (Previous 2005 Vulcan Nomad 1600)

~If you fool with Da Bull...You're gonna get the Horn

Comment

Originally posted by zula View Post

Regarding MSF, I am doing my skills test separately.
                  I am fine with the written portion and take the test tomorrow.
                  But the range time was a pain in the butt. It was obvious that the other people all had loads more riding time! Some even came on their own bikes. They are just there to pass the test in that venue vs. the DMV, plus they don't have to use their own bikes. And these all were the ones at the range time. I dropped the bike once and that's when the frustration started and I realized that this is not the right match with all other participants way ahead of me. It's supposed to be a beginner class and I was truly the only beginner. I found it very unfair.
                  It was a mutual decision that I will do the actual riding skills portion of the course separate. It's letting go of the clutch too fast or not using it when I brake that is tripping me up. Plus I had a hard time locating the gear shift lever. That's why I dropped the bike-I looked down to try to find it in the gear shift exercise.
                  I have no issue that this is my current status. Rome wasn't built in a day and my riding a bike isn't either. I just now want to somehow get experience before heading back to the skills time and I know where the issues are. If I could somehow be able to somehow get a cheap 5 speed w/ clutch work dirt bike even and practice in the huge cemetery near my house (no formal riding places close enough to me) that would be great. I would have plenty of paved road room and grass on the side. Plus, I could literally practice in my own backyard a little bit -perhaps "just enough".
                  Hang in there! I hope you find a way to get some practice time so you feel more comfortable when you do the riding portion. Like you said Rome was not built in a day just take your time.
                  Randy - aka racinfan101
                  Central IL Chapter 1-39 President
                  2024/25 National President

https://www.facebook.com/groups/cent...?ref=bookmarks
                  2002 Vulcan Drifter 800, 2010 Vulcan Nomad 1700, 2020 Kawasaki W800. Gone but not forgotten...2008 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2002 Vulcan Drifter 1500.

Comment

Welcome to the group from Northern Indiana!!!!
                    It's not the destination
                    It's the journey

Chris Shropshire
                    President of Northern Indiana VRA 1-53
                    2007 Vulcan Nomad 1600

sigpic

Comment

Thank you again everyone between welcomes and encouragement!
                      Regarding my MSF course: well, I was supposed to take the second classroom session and then the written exam part of the course YESTERDAY. Well, due to the heat in my area at the current time, facilities were under a mandate to conserve energy, so my class was cancelled. We were told that at our riding/range exercise that the instructor will apprise us of the make-up day. The next and final range time is this Sunday where people then are tested for the riding skills portion, but only get their motorcycle license if they of course pass both written and riding tests. Well, now that will be delayed for those who would have been right on schedule to get their stamped permits in two days and now can't without the written exam! So no license for them until the make-up class. (hence I bet there are a bunch of rather annoyed people!!!!) My range skills part is now going to be separate as I explained in my previous post. So...we weren't given any contact information for the instructor, so what, I'm supposed to drive a half hour there and back just for a two second interaction to find out when the classroom test is? An hour of my time for that-ridiculous! Unless maybe I should watch the practice and then a couple people do the skills test so I have an idea.
                      However: in the meantime, I was able to find a cheap 5 speed dirtbike which I will get on Monday from the current owner! I will now be able to practice the two areas that I'm having trouble with! So, that part is a relief! My husband will work with me and then when I re-take the skills time, I will be in a much better place! I feel much better now!
                      So LOL--this will all work out!

Comment

Well, to add to this MSF course debacle, I just retrieved a voice mail from the MSF apprising me of my make-up written course class time: this Thurs, 7/25. While I have a job where I can shift my schedule around, I do however, need a good 10-14 days lead time to do so, otherwise I am booked with appointments because three of my work days are evening hours where I am there with appointments until 9 pm, but done quite a bit later doing all my paperwork. Well-it will be a total pain in the backside to try to do this for this Thursday! I would have to reschedule 4 appointments two of whom are new, and I absolutely will not do that! And here's the thing: when I don't work, I don't get paid, period. So Thursday last week, I lost several hours of pay for nothing! Well, the message said we can call if we can't do the make-up class this Thurs, to call the MSF registration line and speak directly to a rep about another time. So that's what I will be doing tomorrow. Once the written test is done, they will schedule me for my riding time so it will be a few weeks until that occurs. That's okay since I can use the time to practice on the dirtbike which did get bought and dropped off to my house today.
                        Last edited by zula; 07-22-2013, 08:15 PM. Reason: update

Comment

Welcome from the other side of the Keystone. Hang in thee, my wife took the MSF course before we met and went down hard, she took it again after we got her a bike and did well. Downside for her it was a Honda DN-01 with an automatic trans option, she took the class on that. Now that we have her on a Vulcan trike, she is doing the same learning clutch operation. Just keep at it, it will come!
                          I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead....
                          sigpic

Comment

Thanks Raptor! (from your other side of the Keystone State)
                            I appreciate your story about your wife-sorry she got banged up but very glad to hear she didn't let it deter her. I did get bruised up in this first go-around; my right leg and ankle still have faint bruise marks. The ankle I never even felt though-just noticed it.
                            Now-I have gotten some practice in on the dirbike. Have had to use my front lawn, which is not huge, but it's longer than some others in my neighborhood. Practiced making circles in both directions. Figure 8's was a little too tricky in the space. But the cool thing is that I already got the clutch/throttle issue much better, and each time I hop on, it will get better. Haven't had enough space to switch gears yet. But the big thing is that I can ride the dirtbike! I am much more confident now. Some more practice in and now I know I can get back into that course. And I did get a new classroom reschedule date for when I'm off next week, plus, the site coordinator called me and let me know that I can call into the MSF and ask for the supervisor person who will do an override and allow me to register for any of range times sections that meets my needs. Matter of fact, I am allowed to call in even right now if I want to!
                            I'm thinking I ought to wait on that until I do the classroom part. But cool as now I can look into whether I want to do split times into 4 days or go back to the two; or whether two days in a row etc. Cool, eh??

Comment

Originally posted by zula View Post
                              Awesome! What bike does she ride now?
                              I read about the 2000! I think Kawasaki top ends at 1700 now, right?
                              I'll definitely tell the insurance I completed the course.
                              She has right now a 900 Classic [work ride bike] a 1500 Classic [trip bike] and a 1900 Yam-a ha-ha Raider.. [her kick butt / do not take names / ground pounder] I have a Vulcan 2000 that I try to keep up with her when she is on the Raider. WE call her "Hot Shoes" in the chapter.. Taken from when race track guys put a foot down to bal the bike in curves.. they use plates to slide the foot on but they get very hot. AKA "hot shoes" her and one other chapter member have the same bike.. when they get together they have "super twin powers" there is a roar and PPOOFFFFFF !! they are gone... I some times see tails lights wayyyyyyy up front of me but not often. and yes the 1700 is the biggest bike ma Kaw makes right now.
                              Glenn Gale, President 1-26

Comment

Originally posted by ggale View Post
                                She has right now a 900 Classic [work ride bike] a 1500 Classic [trip bike] and a 1900 Yam-a ha-ha Raider.. [her kick butt / do not take names / ground pounder] I have a Vulcan 2000 that I try to keep up with her when she is on the Raider. WE call her "Hot Shoes" in the chapter.. Taken from when race track guys put a foot down to bal the bike in curves.. they use plates to slide the foot on but they get very hot. AKA "hot shoes" her and one other chapter member have the same bike.. when they get together they have "super twin powers" there is a roar and PPOOFFFFFF !! they are gone... I some times see tails lights wayyyyyyy up front of me but not often. and yes the 1700 is the biggest bike ma Kaw makes right now.
                                Oh cool--so you have the 2000! Sounds like the Yamaha is a force to be reckoned with! But cool, three bikes-nice! At some point I might get another one too. Hot Shoes, lol. Super twin powers--love it!!!

Yeah, I thought 1700 is now the biggest one for the current Vulcan line.

I'm excited for when I will be able to hop on mine but the practice, practice comes first!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X