Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Colorado Springs Newbie to cruisers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colorado Springs Newbie to cruisers

Hi gents. I relocated to Colorado Springs from Nebraska in 2013. I have been riding since 1966. First bike was a '64 Honda Super Hawk. Loved it. Latest bike is a '12 Nomad 1700 that I got in November. Prior to this one, my best touring bike was my '06 Vstrom 650. My Significant Other is more comfortable on the Nomad. Since she occupies the seat that used to carry my tent and sleeping bag, I added a trailer hitch to it with plans to hook up my Third Wheel Trailer CP550 behind it for trips. It worked well behind the Weestrom using the "sport hitch." Waiting for a conversion kit to connect it to the conventional (cruiser) hitch on the Nomad. It's a little too snowy right now but I'm looking forward to getting out there as soon as I can.

The Nomad won't accept the rod through the axle which hooks the Weestrom to the trailer. Need a different flavor hitch to hook this one-wheeled-wonder to the Nomad.
    '01 TTR125L, '01 plated WR426, '00 Super Sherpa, '81 KM100, '80 SR500, '78 XS650, '06 DL650, '10 MG V7 Classic, '12 MG Griso 8V SE, '12 VN1700 Nomad
    sigpic-John

Re: Colorado Springs Newbie to cruisers

Perhaps I should mention that I'm not the guy in my Avatar. That photo was taken in 1936 of my father on his Harley 45, Oakland, CA, 11 years before I was born. Not sure the vintage of the bike but I think it might have been a '29. Maybe you Harley experts can nail it.
    '01 TTR125L, '01 plated WR426, '00 Super Sherpa, '81 KM100, '80 SR500, '78 XS650, '06 DL650, '10 MG V7 Classic, '12 MG Griso 8V SE, '12 VN1700 Nomad
    sigpic-John

Comment

welcome from NW Florida! Cool pic of Pops!!!!!!!!
      Aloha

Derry ~DaBull~
      Bullock
      Former VRA USA National President
      Former NW Florida Chapter 1-6 President
      Crestview, Florida
      2012 Vulcan Voyager 1700
      (Previous 2005 Vulcan Nomad 1600)

~If you fool with Da Bull...You're gonna get the Horn

Comment

Thanks, Derry. I have an old shipmate in Pensacola who rides a GW trike.
        I'm anxious to start putting miles on the Nomad.
        I maybe should have colored Florida on my map but I trailered a bike there and only rode a few miles in St Petersburg. Seems a bit thin. Got stopped for expired plates but talked my way out of the ticket.
        Speaking of thin justification for the mapping, I took that same bike one weekend and rode due north to Saskatchewan, spent the night. Next morning, headed east to Manitoba and south back to Nebraska just to see if the V7 Classic had potential as a distance bike (and to touch a wheel in a couple of Provinces I hadn't visited). It was pretty late when I got home but the trip was just two days. I did get ticketed on that trip for a burned out tail lamp.
        sigpic-John

Comment

Welcome to the forum from Columbus, OH!!
          Patrick "Hotwheels" Sharon
          President Columbus Vulcan Riders Chapter 1-32
          Columbus, Oh
          National President 2020
          National Vice President 2019
          National Treasurer 2013 - 2015
          VROC Member # 34133
          2014 Vulcan Voyager
          2021 CanAm Spyder F3-Limited

2020 CanAm Spyder F3-Limited
          2009 Vulcan Voyager - Gone
          2002 1500 Mean Streak - Gone
          2007 Vulcan VN2000 Classic LT
          -Gone
          2007 Vulcan VN900 Classic LT - Gone

Columbus Vulcan Riders 1-32 FaceBook group

Comment

Thanks, Patrick. I was at a Stromtrooper rally in 2009 that was based in Rockport, OH, not far from you. The host rode a GL1800, not a Vstrom. I was right behind him with my DL1000 on one of the beautiful roller coaster roads, passing a cage, when oncoming traffic appeared. We goosed it and to my great surprise we both got airborne cresting a rise in the road. Pretty good stuff. His comment when we got to the next stop sign was, "Well, that was a first!" I miss that big Vstrom sometimes.

I totalled it the following year on a rural Nebraska road that turned to sand. Did a little hospital time on that one.
            sigpic-John

Comment

Sounds like fun!!! Sorry you had your accident with that. Glad you are still with us now though!!!
              Patrick "Hotwheels" Sharon
              President Columbus Vulcan Riders Chapter 1-32
              Columbus, Oh
              National President 2020
              National Vice President 2019
              National Treasurer 2013 - 2015
              VROC Member # 34133
              2014 Vulcan Voyager
              2021 CanAm Spyder F3-Limited

2020 CanAm Spyder F3-Limited
              2009 Vulcan Voyager - Gone
              2002 1500 Mean Streak - Gone
              2007 Vulcan VN2000 Classic LT
              -Gone
              2007 Vulcan VN900 Classic LT - Gone

Columbus Vulcan Riders 1-32 FaceBook group

Comment

Welcome from Central IL!! You certainly have some miles under your tread and some stories to tell! Glad to have you in the VRA, and I hope you enjoy that Nomad!
                Randy - aka racinfan101
                Central IL Chapter 1-39 President
                2024/25 National President

https://www.facebook.com/groups/cent...?ref=bookmarks
                2002 Vulcan Drifter 800, 2010 Vulcan Nomad 1700, 2020 Kawasaki W800. Gone but not forgotten...2008 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2002 Vulcan Drifter 1500.

Comment

Welcome from Kansas City

Comment

Welcome from TN. Glad to see another Guzzi fan.
                    '18 Road Glide Special, '18 Moto Guzzi V7III Carbon, '75 KT250 Trials.

Comment

Thanks, guys. Glad to be here. Twowheeladdict, I did notice your V7 in your signature pic. They're mighty pleasant, aren't they? When I got my '03 Vstrom, I traded in my beloved Yamaha XV920RH . That's one I miss. It was torquey and comfortable and the enclosed chain never needed a bit of attention. Unfortunately, as some plastic bits got brittle and cracked, like the hugger rear fender, replacement parts weren't available. A shame, that.
                      sigpic-John

Comment

Welcome from Denver! Be sure to check out the Csprings chapter (they're a good group of people) and you're welcome to check out the Denver chapter too.
                        || Former President | Vulcan Riders Association | Chapter 1-30 ||
                        ||2012 Kawasaki Nomad||
                        ||VBA #03091||

Comment

Thanks, Brandon. I am looking forward to making the next CS meeting. Can't wait for the weather to get warm enough for me to ride the KM100 to the meeting.
                          sigpic-John

Comment

Welcome from Minnesota 1-46.
                            Bill "TSfan14" Fliehr
                            Apple Valley, MN
                            2007 1600 Nomad

Comment

Originally posted by AncientMariner View Post
                              Thanks, Brandon. I am looking forward to making the next CS meeting. Can't wait for the weather to get warm enough for me to ride the KM100 to the meeting.
                              you and me both. I get sad when the bike doesn't get ridden.
                              || Former President | Vulcan Riders Association | Chapter 1-30 ||
                              ||2012 Kawasaki Nomad||
                              ||VBA #03091||

Comment

Working...
                              X