Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Guy (Thinking of buying) from NC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Guy (Thinking of buying) from NC

Hello, my name is Luke. I've been out of the game a couple years, last bike being a harley night rod special. I'm looking to get back in without having all the hype and expense of a harley. I found a 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic. It has Vance and Hines exhaust, Quick release windshield, Mustang seats, saddlebags, new tire and new battery. It has about 24k miles. The gut is wanting $4000 and the bike only blue books at $2900 but looks immaculate from the pics. Its a far drive and havent had a chance to look at it personally yet. Is this a good deal? I'm 6'8 and 330+ I know no bike is going to be an amazing fit but will this pull me ok? Im also real big into the whole family bike thing so if there are other riders near western NC are there many gatherings or rides going on? Thanks for any replies.

Re: New Guy (Thinking of buying) from NC

Welcome to the VRA!! As nice as it sounds like it is 4000 is high if you ask me. Of course I have not been pricing older 1500s to see what they are going for lately. Other than that I think since it is a 2000 model the infamous POG (plastic oil gear) was replaced and the bikes are pretty darn reliable if taken care of which it sounds like this one has been. Since you are so tall you may find it a bit compact, but I don't think you will have an issue with power. Some of the better versed 1500 aficionados may have some better pointers for you. As tall as you are a Vulcan 2000 better known as a V2K would be a good fit I bet. I think Don Griffin (Big D) was just looking at a good deal on one near him (Spartansburg) in the last week or two.

Sadly there are no chapters near you, the Carolina Foothills in Spartanburg is about 90 miles away and Charlotte is about 145 miles. If you can turn up 4 like minded Vulcan riders that would want to start a chapter we can try and help.

Our big VRA East rally is in Eureka Springs this year June 23-25th and they are mainly about riding and socializing more than hard core partying...not that we don't have a good time mind you

Whatever you might purchase you are always welcome
    Randy - aka racinfan101
    Central IL Chapter 1-39 President
    2024/25 National President

https://www.facebook.com/groups/cent...?ref=bookmarks
    2002 Vulcan Drifter 800, 2010 Vulcan Nomad 1700, 2020 Kawasaki W800. Gone but not forgotten...2008 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2002 Vulcan Drifter 1500.

Comment

Welcome to the VRA from Columbus, OH. I agree with Randy that sounds a bit on the high side price wise. But not super far off. Especially when you consider the extra's it has. I got a 2002 Meanie for $3000 with 15K miles. It did have a windshield and bags with a few other extra's. So the one you mention is not far off. I think if you could get it for about 3000 - 3500 would be a decent deal. The 1500's are good bikes and you should be able to ride it fairly well. We have another member from Phoenix who is about your size. He has a V2K which is a little bit bigger and a little harder to find for a good deal cause they are liked so much!

Good luck with what you decide to do!!
      Patrick "Hotwheels" Sharon
      President Columbus Vulcan Riders Chapter 1-32
      Columbus, Oh
      National President 2020
      National Vice President 2019
      National Treasurer 2013 - 2015
      VROC Member # 34133
      2014 Vulcan Voyager
      2021 CanAm Spyder F3-Limited

2020 CanAm Spyder F3-Limited
      2009 Vulcan Voyager - Gone
      2002 1500 Mean Streak - Gone
      2007 Vulcan VN2000 Classic LT
      -Gone
      2007 Vulcan VN900 Classic LT - Gone

Columbus Vulcan Riders 1-32 FaceBook group

Comment

Don (Big D) I checked in with, it may be awhile before he can get on a give particulars to the V2K he found but it was at Palmetto Cycles in Spartanburg. He said if you are interested into checking into it ask for Steve. The V2K is just a thought a 1500 would serve you fine I am sure, but if the best fit and power are concerns, it for sure would cover those bases!
        Randy - aka racinfan101
        Central IL Chapter 1-39 President
        2024/25 National President

https://www.facebook.com/groups/cent...?ref=bookmarks
        2002 Vulcan Drifter 800, 2010 Vulcan Nomad 1700, 2020 Kawasaki W800. Gone but not forgotten...2008 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2002 Vulcan Drifter 1500.

Comment

Luke, welcome to the forum and good luck in finding a bike. I'm from western mass so I checked craigslist in my area for you which may help in the price. I found an 02 and this person wants $4400. The odometer reads 7750 miles. The other one I found has no year in the ad but says it has been garaged for 13 years. If you go by this it would make it around a 2000 or 2001 model. It shows 4700 miles on it and the amount in the ad was $3700. Hope this helps.
          sigpic

Comment

Welcome from Kansas City. Hope you find a good Vulcan. Plenty out there

Comment

Awesome. Thanks for Help Guys.Tried Looking On PalmettoS Site But Can't Find ANy Bikes. Looking To Spend 4K Or Less. Sorry About The Caps...On My phone

Comment

I would also need floorboard/ foot peg extensions, who makes these?

Comment

HI and welcome from west MI.. I had a 04 1500 / 06V2k have an 08 V2k. the 1500 is a great bike and I have no complaint's, but for some one your size the V2 will be a better fit and you will not be lacking for power. or a bit of stretch out room. best advise is sit on it, take for a test ride if pos. V2,s are popping up on e- bay all the time now. good luck , ride safe and ask any questions you have on here. tons of good advise.
                  Glenn Gale, President 1-26

Comment

Just found an 04 v200 for $3500. 22k miles. Dont care for the paint, it is a burgandy with silver tribal but what do you guys think?

Comment

Looks like a good price to me. Showed this to my local Kawasaki Dealer. I'm good friends with one of the salesman. She said without looking at but if it is great condition she would try to sell it for around $4900.
                      sigpic

Comment

Take it for a spin if pos. Paint can be changed . Fair price. If really serious I can advise what to look for
                        Glenn Gale, President 1-26

Comment

Well the V2000 I was looking at sold. This is the bike I was originally looking at. 2000 Vulcan 1500 with 24k miles. He came down on the price to $3300. What you guys think?

Comment

Beautiful bike - Ride that baby to our 5 Chapter Meet and Eat in Cheraw, SC on May 2!!!
                            Last edited by Big D; 11-05-2015, 01:32 PM.
                            Non Chapter Member

Comment

Welcome to the forum from Minnesota 1-46.
                              Bill "TSfan14" Fliehr
                              Apple Valley, MN
                              2007 1600 Nomad

Comment

Working...
                              X