Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Annapolis Maryland newb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Annapolis Maryland newb

welcome pete, you will sure learn alot from these guys,and about the wife i think i would agree with slicks on this one. and yes it will cost you but its worth it. lonnie

Comment

Originally posted by scpavra1 View Post
      In general the V-twins are cold blooded beasties. I had to keep my 800 on choke for about 3 or 4 minutes before I could turn it off without sputtering at a stop. Just the nature of them I guess.
      Once you pop the cap off and adjust the pilot you'll find they warm up quite quickly. They are so lean from factory to meet emissions standards that they require lots of choke to build some heat.

Comment

I don't know if anyone else experiences this, but my choke is "self-cancelling". I pull it out and ride. Within a few blocks, it slides back in on it's own. I've always loved that.
        John Featherlin
        Webmaster vulcanriders.us 2007-2016
        International Chapter Coordinator 2009-2016
        Forum Admin 2007-2016
        USA Chapter Coordinator 2007-2016
        National President 2007-2010
        National Vice President 2006
        National Secretary 2011-2012

Comment

My VN800A choke needs to be turned "righty" a bit to hold in the choked position, but sometimes my leg hits the knob for "inadvertant self-canceling".

I just did the lagging (exhaust wrap) on my Cobra slash cut pipes and used the Clamp Tool wire hose clamp forming tool for a clean look to clamp the ends of the wrap.

See the clamp tool video

Comment

the black rubber boot (behind the knob) is a cover for the adjustment nut for this. If the nut is turned right it will make the choke harder to pull on and push off. It also will cause it to stay out until you push it in.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Myers View Post
              the black rubber boot (behind the knob) is a cover for the adjustment nut for this. If the nut is turned right it will make the choke harder to pull on and push off. It also will cause it to stay out until you push it in.
              No kiddin. Huh. Ya learn something every day.

Bob, you are certainly a wealth of knowledge about Vulcans.

Thanks.
              John Featherlin
              Webmaster vulcanriders.us 2007-2016
              International Chapter Coordinator 2009-2016
              Forum Admin 2007-2016
              USA Chapter Coordinator 2007-2016
              National President 2007-2010
              National Vice President 2006
              National Secretary 2011-2012

Comment

Originally posted by Slicks View Post
                No kiddin. Huh. Ya learn something every day.

Bob, you are certainly a wealth of knowledge about Vulcans.

Thanks.
                Thank you. With 2 of them to maintain for over 12 years I have picked up a thing or two. Actually that is a bit misleading though, chains sprockets oil and tires are about all I have spent any money on for both.
                When I bought Tina's bike it was a total wreck, had only 1200 miles on it. Front wheel was tangled up in the right foot peg! I learned a lot in the 4 hours it took to disassemble it and even more in the following days as replacement parts were obtained.

Comment

Hey Bob & everybody,
                  Any recommendation on exhaust head bolt thread compound?
                  Thanks ,
                  Pete

Comment

If you're talking about an anti-seize compound, use the same stuff that is used for sparkplugs.

This is a good idea, as the two dis-similar metals do tend to seize if left for several years.

Comment

That gives me three choices based on the Loctite motorcycle recommendation webpage
                      Spark Plugs- Loctite® Silver Anti-Seize Stick
                      Exhaust bolts- Loctite® 243Threadlocker
                      Exhaust Manifold Studs- Loctite® Anti-Seize Lubricant – Copper

The one thing that I would probably not use is the Loctite Copper thread compound. Copper and aluminum do not mix well. The result of using that compound on aluminum masts is horrific.

Comment

Pep Boys carries Permatex, not Loctite, so I got their high temp equivelant.
                        Cobra pipes are on. Wow, what a difference. Good for grins.

Comment

As a purely back-yard mechanic, I would hesitate to add anything to lock exhaust systems to the back. After a short while, these bolts are difficult enough to remove and I wouldn't want anything to make it even more difficult.

After having to deal with a few exhaust bolts that have broken off, due to nuts being seized to these exhaust bolts. Now, the anti-seize compounds seem to make a lot more sense to me than any locking compound.

Comment

The stuff I used was more a thread sealant that seems to be good for dissimilar metals versus a thread locker.
                            Funny that when I went to remove the old bolts, they spun out too easy, and the gasket looked like it was having a bit of blow-by.
                            I think that the next time I do anything with these exhausts would be to repair the threads with a monel helicoil thread insert. Seems the aluminum on the first few threads was buggered up on the front bolt hole, but with care didn't cross thread when reinstalling.
                            My caution stems from 30 years working on boats with the worse case scenarious derived from lack of barrier compounds between dissimilar metals.
                            Still, I respect that if the factory did it without any thread compound, then it's probably ok to continue that (pun) thread. But then, they want to sell you a new bike when the old one wears out.. (planned obselescence)

Comment

hey guys,
                              I'm looking into my Cobra exhausts and I'm hoping I don't see a baffle.
                              Reason is that I'm hoping to add some baffles to knock down the volume a bit.
                              But possibly what I'm looking at are the baffles though they seem to be very unrestricted.
                              What do you think? Baffles in the pic or not?
                              http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/i...t=IMG_0020.jpg

Last edited by Naptown Pete; 11-23-2009, 11:04 PM. Reason: Picture wouldn't attach in first try

Comment

It's difficult to tell, but there really doesn't seem to be anything there.

Just a suggestion, you might wish to ask this stuff on a new thread, as it would probably get more people interested in looking at it, installed of the 20th post on a "new member introduction".

Comment

Working...
                                X