Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vulcan 900 custom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vulcan 900 custom

I bought my custom in October and have loved riding it. I like to take trips on my bikes. I am think of taking a trip to the mountains of North Carolina where I will be riding interstates running about 70 to 75 mph for 400 miles. Is the speedameter correct and do you think running that long at that spped that I could damage the engine. I am not a heavy person.

Re: Vulcan 900 custom

Ed, welcome aboard the forum.

You've got a great bike for the mountain roads of NC, I love to ride my 900C out there. Nope, like all Vulcans, the speedo reads high about 10%, reading of 60 MPH on mine is actually 55 by GPS, with stock tires. Now that I'm running 'darkside', it's a bit closer.

I rode my 900C from Iowa to NC last year, very high temps and a lot on the Interstate. With stock pulleys, I think that's a bit excessive, although it did it with flying colors. Just seemed to loose a bit of power and I think because the engine was running so hot due to air temps and high RPM.

For a lot of long distance riding, many people put a different front or rear or both sprockets on the 900 bikes to lower the RPM and they like it better. I'll be doing the same if I ever get rid of my Concours, which is my long distance bike.

BTW, we're holding our national rally in Stecoah, at the Kickstand Lodge this year in July. Come on down and meet the groupl.

Comment

My wife and I rode 2up on mine to Corpus Christi and back, fully packed for 4days. It's about 400 mi one way. It did the Interststate just fine. We had terrible cross winds and I still averaged 45mpg. Now Mrs. Pops has her own 900clt and we are riding to the Dragon for the VRA Rally in July. Hope you decide to meet us there. Welcome to the forum.
      sigpicDan Denney
      President
      Fort Worth 1-25
      Old bikers don't grow grey, they turn chrome.

Comment

When my speedo says 60, my GPS says 57. I don't think you will hurt anything riding the interstate. Welcome to the forum. Like Fly says come on down to the rally.
        Albie Salsburg (1700 Rider)
        2009 Vulcan Voyager
        V&H Slipons
        Thunder MFG Air Kit
        "Ivan's Re-Flash"

Comment

Welcome to the Forum, when I had my 2008 Vulcan 900 classic LT, I ran it on the Interstate with no problem. When you speedo says 75 you are actually doing 70. I usually kept mine at 75 by the speedo and just enjoyed the ride. If you run it at 80 by the speedo you will be doing 75 but thats a little tight unless you do some pulley changes like Fky suggested. You are going to love the 900 in the mountains, in some ways I liked the gearing on my 900 better than my Vulcan 2000 for the mountains. Enjoy the ride

Comment

welcome to the forum...glad to have you hear....

Make sure you check out the RALLY PAGE, would love to meet you there and, be sure to check out our VRA STORE

holler if you need anything!
            Aloha

Derry ~DaBull~
            Bullock
            Former VRA USA National President
            Former NW Florida Chapter 1-6 President
            Crestview, Florida
            2012 Vulcan Voyager 1700
            (Previous 2005 Vulcan Nomad 1600)

~If you fool with Da Bull...You're gonna get the Horn

Comment

Welcome to the forum, and don't worry at all about the 900 its a great bike for all aspect, yeah they rev a little high on the interstate but it is what it is, it will get you newhere you want to go just fine!
              Scottyg09900C 2009 Vulcan 900 Custom
              sigpic
              DENVER VULCAN RIDERS

Comment

welcome and have fun riding your 900. the mountains of NC are some of the best roads in the country.

Randy
                07 Classic 1500
                04 Mean Streak 1600
                The destination is merely a by-product of the journey.

Comment

Wellif the 900 are as good as the old 800s than you won't have any trouble with it ,i putt 45k miles on mine and Inever had any trouble with it thats the reason I love the vulcans so much. When it was time to move up I got my nomad and Iput 20k on it the first summer I had it, you will learn alot about your bike here so many people have the 900 now you will haer alot of talk about them so hang to your hat your trip has just begun here so injoy the ride and welcome to the site.
                  Every day is a holiday when you love your job,And if you don't you must live in a nightmare.

Comment

Working...
                  X