Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

bike left me sit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bike left me sit

Hello all. I am hoping and wishing that someone can give me some advice. I am a new motorcycle driver/rider having just got my license a month ago at the age of 49.....YAH!! I bought a 1991 Vulcan 500 EN a week ago and guess what? Yes you got....it left me sit yesterday. When I bought it the guy said that it had some problems with backfiring when it was wet. Well it rained on and off Friday. I didn't ride it Friday. Saturday morning I went out and started it I made sure I gave it plenty of time to warm up. It ran rough as I expected it would but eventually it smoothed out. I got on it and rode it about 2-3 miles up road to the post office. During that portion of the ride it seemed like it ran rough....like when I throttled up it did not have a lot of power. So when I turned onto the road that the post office was on it stalled and then wouldn't start. It acted like it wanted to start but didn't. It backfired a couple of times and actually turned over 3-4 times for a couple of seconds. As I was sitting there there was water dripping out from somewhere....there was a big puddle underneath the bike and it WAS water (not gas). So it is now sitting in a garage. Does anyone have any ideas of what it could be?

Re: bike left me sit

Hey, welcome to the forum, sorry to hear about your troubles, I'm not real familar with the 500, rough running sounds like a fuel or air problem, like maybe the carb needs to be cleaned and rebuilt, the puddle of water throws me a bit, not quite sure on that one unless the cooling system was fill with it, check all your fluids, hoses, and hose connections, I'm sure many more will chime in with more extensive help, hope you get her back on the road soon
    Scottyg09900C 2009 Vulcan 900 Custom
    sigpic
    DENVER VULCAN RIDERS

Comment

Welcome to the Forum, Like Scotty I do not know to much about 500's but I have had alot of bikes, If it will at least start and run a little you probably just need some maintenance. Clean out the gas tank, change plugs and spark plug wires, change the air filter and run some good fuel line cleaner through the system . If stil having problems you might have to have the carbs rebuilt but thats not that big of deal either. Good luck on the project!! p.s. after you get it running good, change the oil and take off.

P.S., Go to the Tech Talk and Model Discussion page and post there so more 500 riders will see your post.

Comment

Welcome from Middle Tennessee.

I agree with the above, where is the water coming from? Is it kept outside? Sounds like you gotta keep the water out of the system. Tech Talk will do you good.
        JC
        '00 Suzuki DRZ400e
        '06 Yamaha Raptor 700R; '06 Honda TRX300EX
        '06 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 Classic LT/Darkside
        sigpic

Comment

Welcome. Problems "only when wet" is usually electrical. Plugs and plug wires is a good place to start and all of the other stuff mentioned above should be done also. A check of all electrical connections would be in order as well paying special attention to grounds starting where the water is coming from. Is the battery fairly new? I know this is a lot to comprehend for a new rider, so as the others say, the 500 section in Tech Talk may bring some other suggestions.
          Albie Salsburg (1700 Rider)
          2009 Vulcan Voyager
          V&H Slipons
          Thunder MFG Air Kit
          "Ivan's Re-Flash"

Comment

just a thought....is water getting into your exhaust when it rains. that may be clogging it.... just a thought
            Mike
            SDS U.S Army (RETIRED)
            "Scorpion"

Comment

So a couple more questions and observations. First of all this problem absolutely only happens after it rains. The bike has run fine for me through several tanks of fuel on hot days.

Does this model have any known problems with water collecting around the plugs or somewhere else in the motor that could lead to this.

I suspect the insulator caps and wires are the origional equipment so I'm thinking of pointing the mechanic in that direction first.

I was also thinking my local dealer might be a better idea than the closes mechanic I could find at the time. But after all this is a very simple machine, how hard could this problem be to diagnose.

Comment

I'm thinking the guys and you are right on the electrical if its centered only around mosture, i'd deffenitly start there, dealer or mechinec, has to be someone u trust to give u a fair shake, whatever they tell u run it by the 500 guys here they'll know if it sounds right for that model
                Scottyg09900C 2009 Vulcan 900 Custom
                sigpic
                DENVER VULCAN RIDERS

Comment

Even though the bike is probably simple all one can do over the forum is offer suggestions. Without volt-ohm meters, test lights etc a diagnosis on the forum can be hit or miss. It appears you will be taking it to a qualified (hopefully qualified) mechanic, so with your description of the problems he (or she) will be able to know where to start. I will be interested in the findings and repair involved.

Also on a side note, there have been several other new New Yorkers sign on in the last few weeks. I am thinking of a ride for my chapter downstate to a meeting place that would be good for everyone and have a meet up and lunch. You other new yorkers please respond as well if you think it is a good idea. All New Yorkers and out of staters like PA and NJ as well.
                  Albie Salsburg (1700 Rider)
                  2009 Vulcan Voyager
                  V&H Slipons
                  Thunder MFG Air Kit
                  "Ivan's Re-Flash"

Comment

Welcome to the forum and hope you are up and running by now.
                    sigpicDan Denney
                    President
                    Fort Worth 1-25
                    Old bikers don't grow grey, they turn chrome.

Comment

Working...
                    X