Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

chillin in michigan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: chillin in michigan

Well Mitt it may be your behind that needs the break first!
    Randy - aka racinfan101
    Central IL Chapter 1-39 President
    2024/25 National President

https://www.facebook.com/groups/cent...?ref=bookmarks
    2002 Vulcan Drifter 800, 2010 Vulcan Nomad 1700, 2020 Kawasaki W800. Gone but not forgotten...2008 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2002 Vulcan Drifter 1500.

Comment

Welcome from Middle Tennessee.
      JC
      '00 Suzuki DRZ400e
      '06 Yamaha Raptor 700R; '06 Honda TRX300EX
      '06 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 Classic LT/Darkside
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mitt View Post
        Tanx guys, I am chompin at the bit for that bike.I will post sum pics up as soon as she hits the driveway at home. My first ride on her will be from the dealership 100 miles away to my home.Probally stop at least once to let her cool down on the way back, being she's new and not broken in yet.. SHE's A VIRGIN man....
        Looking forward to seeing your pics, dude.

You shouldn't need to worry about letting the bike cool down. Your biggest problem will be varying your speeds. Dunno how big of a deal it really is, but the book says not to run at constant engine/road speeds for long periods of time, until the bike is broken in. You also need to decide how you'll break in the engine. The book says to do it soft and easy. There are a lot of folks that claim you should ride it like you stole it, from the first mile. I'd suggest doing some research on the internet about break-in periods. There are a number of interesting articles out there and you can make up your own mind on the topic.

I would say, however, that you shouldn't trust the dealership on the fluid levels of the bike. Check all of the fluids yourself. The owner's manual tells you all you need to know on that. It's very likely that the dealer will overfill the engine oil, which isn't a huge problem, but isn't a good thing to do either. You probably wouldn't need to worry about it until you get home, but don't be surprised if you have a little oil dripping out of the air cleaner.

Then, make sure all of the lights work, turn signals, brake and idiot lights. If you don't have a good tire pressure gauge, I'd advise buying one. Before taking off, make sure your tire pressures are up to snuff and are at least at the minimums recommended in the owner's manual. Personally, I like to run my tire pressures very close to the max listed on the sidewall of the tires.

Lastly, remember that new tires are likely to still have the release agent compound on them from the tire molds. It takes quite a few miles to wear off and until it's gone, the tires are slightly more slippery than they would normally be. Just keep that in mind for stopping distance and lean angles.

Kerry

Comment

Race,you been talkin to my wife? she said the same thing l.o.l. I was a paratrooper in the 82nd. abn. div. I was 5-11 and a half when I entered the service now I am 5-9 now,those years of jumpin out of a plane have claimed my vertabre,I will ask my dealer to set my rear shock soft for me. Jcoomer thanx fer the welcome. I love this site

Comment

hey Kerry thanx for the info,I was so focused on all the cool parts I forgot about the mechanics of a new bike.That post you made brought me back into focus, Thanx for the tips,I wasnt thinking of nothing but all that crome I'm gonna slather on her. still got to get a pair of jeans before I ride...

Comment

Mitt.......WELCOME DUDE!!! I ride an 08 900 custom, and I love it! When I bought mine, the Kury catalog had 2 things for the 900, and those crossed with the meanstreak, so it was a fluke!!! I am thrilled with all the aftermarket we have now!!!

Comment

With all the aftermarket parts available for our machine I believe in twenty years from now they will be hot collecter bikes. That custom sure put the squeeze on Harley for overall looks and spankin them hard on performance. I bought mine not knowing about it. I wanted the most bike for my dollar being a disabled vetran I live on a limited income,I gotta tip my hat to the guys and gals at PEACOCK Motorsports in Balwin MI. for helping me have this bike come together for me.Peacock has been GREAT in thier service and I am very greatful to have purchased from them.

Comment

A 100 miles from home? where did you buy it? Oppps I see where now. OK Tips... run the tires at 40 psi. front and rear. Rings set in the 1st 25 miles or so. Just drive it-- fast - slow - what ever you want. H-D guys say slowwwww- then a bit faster--- then slowwww- want a pain... race guys say run the crap out of it -- fast. me new bikes /cars just drive it like I will all the time. none have used oil so far.! The big thing to me is change the oil and filter at 500 miles or less and use a good oil and filter... [filter is behind the rectifier bit of a pain- need to remove 6 screws and the cover do not over tighten screws] "I like pur one -- pl 14612 oil filters" seem to be one of the best out there." Then check all the bolts - frame- motor what you can reach. use good toque wench if pos. after that get into a good reg oil change pattern-- and rembere to rotate the head light-change the blinker fluids- flip the tires around- and swap seats.....
                  Glenn Gale, President 1-26

Comment

The swap seats one is true.....Find a new seat, or your butt will revolt......trust me. I am not on speaking terms with my butt all summer.......

Comment

Ya, I was thinking my back gonna be sore it always is, but it wont stop me from riding.I used to ride with my brother and dad when I was young,They are both gone now.I will think of them every time I am on my bike. My first street bike was a B.S.A. Starfire,it cornered like a brick but I loved that bike.I miss the kickstarters with compresion realease.. Thanx for the tips G, I have been so focused on the aftermarket goods I forgot to think bout the rest.I am glad I am a member at this site,you guys put the reality back into machine care and maintenance.My Dad was a Master mechanic,and a frabricating engineer for fords(worked in the prototype drivetrain dept.) He aways said(break them in like your gonna ride it).H-a-r-d. He was right about that.

Comment

Welcome from southern Ohio.
                        Every day is a holiday when you love your job,And if you don't you must live in a nightmare.

Comment

Originally posted by mitt View Post
                          Race,you been talkin to my wife? she said the same thing l.o.l. I was a paratrooper in the 82nd. abn. div. I was 5-11 and a half when I entered the service now I am 5-9 now,those years of jumpin out of a plane have claimed my vertabre,I will ask my dealer to set my rear shock soft for me. Jcoomer thanx fer the welcome. I love this site
                          LOL! Nope I just know it always seems like for me it takes my behind awhile to get used to sittin the saddle again every spring!
                          Randy - aka racinfan101
                          Central IL Chapter 1-39 President
                          2024/25 National President

https://www.facebook.com/groups/cent...?ref=bookmarks
                          2002 Vulcan Drifter 800, 2010 Vulcan Nomad 1700, 2020 Kawasaki W800. Gone but not forgotten...2008 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2002 Vulcan Drifter 1500.

Comment

Thanx fer the welcome guys, Gettin close to pick up day, I feelin great today, visited Dairyland for a quote,they were a little high compared to my insurance reps quote...

Comment

Nice bike mitt, love the color. I know how you feel. I had the same itch last year when I picked up my bike. It being my first I felt like a little kid in a candy store. I shopped around with my insurance too. I think the best deal I got was with progressive. Came to about 40 bucks a month, and the coverage wasn't all that bad either. I know you can go to their site and map out the package you want and get price. I based mine on a budget. And it worked for me.
                              Pain is weakness leaving the body
                              http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1281041288

Comment

Mike, progressive did have a better price about 50.00 cheaper per year with more coverage...Semper-FI

Comment

Working...
                                X