Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to everything. a 60 yr old kid.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to everything. a 60 yr old kid.

I always wanted a bike, Harley of course. then started reading a little and looking at prices. Anyway I found a 2006 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT, at a very reasonable price, it has 37,000 miles on it. i am new to riding and everything-I could not afford it. I would appreciate any and all constructive suggestions etc.

MY BIKE BLOG

Re: New to everything. a 60 yr old kid.

Welcome to the Forum. There are several folks here that own 2000's and from what I have heard most love them. I am sure they will be along soon to tell you more about them. Good luck with your search!!
    Patrick "Hotwheels" Sharon
    President Columbus Vulcan Riders Chapter 1-32
    Columbus, Oh
    National President 2020
    National Vice President 2019
    National Treasurer 2013 - 2015
    VROC Member # 34133
    2014 Vulcan Voyager
    2021 CanAm Spyder F3-Limited

2020 CanAm Spyder F3-Limited
    2009 Vulcan Voyager - Gone
    2002 1500 Mean Streak - Gone
    2007 Vulcan VN2000 Classic LT
    -Gone
    2007 Vulcan VN900 Classic LT - Gone

Columbus Vulcan Riders 1-32 FaceBook group

Comment

Welcome from Middle Tennessee.

What would you like to know? I love mine. I have added a few after-market items to make a good thing even better.
      JC
      '00 Suzuki DRZ400e
      '06 Yamaha Raptor 700R; '06 Honda TRX300EX
      '06 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 Classic LT/Darkside
      sigpic

Comment

The 2000 is alot of bike, not exactly a starter bike. Might want to look into the 900 first, and work up.

Comment

I have an 06 2000 classic...and I love it.power, performance, and style.but it is a lot of bike for a beginner
          Attached Files
          2006 Vulcan 2000 classic

if life gets shitty....i'll pull the pin and see whats next!

Comment

Gotta side with Redneck and Jack on this one. 2000cc is too much to start. Way too much. Going in a straight line is the easiest thing to do on a bike. Any fool can do it. But jump on one of these big 'uns while trying to navigate around a crowded shopping mall parking lot or downtown Miami? Yikes, no thanks.

I don't know how big you are, so maybe a 250 is too small. But they are great to learn on. (I did and I am not the least bit ashamed of it. I had a blast on it) If you must, step up a bit to a 500 or 750. Later, perhaps a 800 or 900 and you will be a much happier camper. New riders make mistakes and the smaller bikes are much more forgiving. Drop a 2000? You better have a lot of friends (or a truck) to get her back up. Yeah, some "bikers" may sneer at you for riding a smaller bike, but any real motorcyclist, (Like those on this forum) will respect your decision to be smart.

Here is another reason: Money. Kawasaki has bikes available in all those sizes I mentioned above. They are much cheaper, (couple grand at the most) and they are all good looking and great bikes. Other manufacturers have them too, but out of my loyalty to Big Green, I won't mention them here. But look around and listen to what actual riders say and get any macho bullshit out of your head. The folks who jump on big bikes before they should, be they Harley or metrics, are easy to spot. When coming to a stop they will look like a shot-up, crippled B-17 coming in for a hard landing. Landing gear (legs) down and struggling to stay upright. It ain't pretty and almost all bikers will giggle at them. They don't look look cool or macho, believe me. They look like complete goofs who had more money than common sense.

Last thing, and I'll end my speech - Find and take your local MSF course. It will help with insurance and they are terrific classes.

Welcome to this forum and motorcycling. Be safe, watch out for the other guys and we'll see ya on the road!

Christian - Vermont -
            sigpic
            "Watch out, you might get what you're after."

Comment

welcome from Kansas City. I love riding and hope you will too

Comment

Welcome from Colorado !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Welcome!! A 2000 is allot of bike to start with but sounds like you have already bought it so congrats!! If you do start out on it take it really slow and easy, I remember starting on a 750 and it felt pretty heavy when I started so I can only imagine how a V2K would feel. Kip nailed it when he said make sure to take the MSF course!
                  Randy - aka racinfan101
                  Central IL Chapter 1-39 President
                  2024/25 National President

https://www.facebook.com/groups/cent...?ref=bookmarks
                  2002 Vulcan Drifter 800, 2010 Vulcan Nomad 1700, 2020 Kawasaki W800. Gone but not forgotten...2008 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2002 Vulcan Drifter 1500.

Comment

Welcome to the group!

Holler if you need anything!
                    Aloha

Derry ~DaBull~
                    Bullock
                    Former VRA USA National President
                    Former NW Florida Chapter 1-6 President
                    Crestview, Florida
                    2012 Vulcan Voyager 1700
                    (Previous 2005 Vulcan Nomad 1600)

~If you fool with Da Bull...You're gonna get the Horn

Comment

If you already have the 2000....the msf course is a great idea...plus you can always find a mall parking lot a night and practice your moves there...anyways, welcome, good luck, and be safe...
                      If you have any questions about the v2k, or anything else...just hit me up.
                      2006 Vulcan 2000 classic

if life gets shitty....i'll pull the pin and see whats next!

Comment

Welcome from southern Ohio.
                        Every day is a holiday when you love your job,And if you don't you must live in a nightmare.

Comment

Welcome to the forum
                          Bill "TSfan14" Fliehr
                          Apple Valley, MN
                          2007 1600 Nomad

Comment

Working...
                          X